Denosumab

hi all.

i’m due to start Denosumab this week.  Just wondering if you have any tips/hints on how to deal with it, along with managing any side effects.  

Would like to know how many of you get it, how often and what I should know.

thank you for all advice 

xxx

Hi BJH,  I’ve been having denosumab now for around 2 yrs, I have it every 4 wks, 2 days before you must have your bloods done otherwise they won’t do it, it’s mainly to check your calcium levels. I have it in my stomach, some have it in the arm, it isn’t painful just a simple injection. sometimes you can be a bit achey for a few days after but nothing drastic. 

Hope this helps Hugs Janette xxxx 

Hiya bjh
I have had four now and its nothing at all…just a quick jab in tum or arm.
You just have to get your teeth checked first as having a tooth out can b a problem.
I get a headache the next day and day four to six …feel a bit stiff and achy.
I understand they r very expensive £340 a pop and are supposed to strengthen the bones and protect them from cancer Mets.
There is a good section here on the website under treatmenrs that gives a lot of info.
One of the few treatments that is easy to tolerate!!
Hugs xxx

Hi, I have had 2 injections 4 weeks apart. The only problem I find is between the 5th and 9th day after my joints ache but from dayb10 all fine again.

I am about to change from 4 weekly to 6 weekly so that it fits in with my Herceptin injections so will have both on alternate hercetin cycle.

Hope all goes well for you

Hi

I’ve had it for just over a year now, I think I have my 14th this week. I have mine in the tummy, no problem at all. A few times I’ve ached a bit around 4 days after, and was tired but nothing significant at all. All my scans show its helping my bones. Nothing to worry about if you have the same results.

Hope all goes well for you
Xxx

Hi
I have been having Denosumab for over 3 years now in the tummy every 4 weeks now every 6 weeks now due to the treatment I am on being every 3 weeks. Never had any trouble with it. It is a bone strengthener and you will take a calcium tablet twice a day.
Hope you are more reassured xxx

Hiya bjh.
Just a thought …you will probably get Adcal which is a calcium tablet to chew daily.
Make sure u get flavoured ones ( tuitti fruiti or lemon) otherwise it’s like chewing a lump of chalk!
Hugs xx

I have the fruitti ones, they are quite nice ?

Yum …love em !!! Not everyone gets the fruity ones though …we are special xxxxx

Wow waffles …like Barton says …not heard of that before. There is talk of the community nurses coming to house doing them which would save a trip to hospital but otherwise our oncology dept still control it.
When I had mine this week …there were a couple of elderly ladies having them for oesterprosis. .they must have been in their 80 s so it must be easily tolerated.
Hugs xxx

Thanks Mara . Yes I think that soon its going to b done by the community nurses which will b good.
Our oncology dept is so busy these days and they will welcome less demands on their day!
Hugs xx

Hiya waffles …omg don’t trust myself doing them BUT I did do 42 days of fragmin injections after my op…was so chuffed with myself …thought I should get a part in “holby city” after all that !!
I think here they are still debating what will be done but I think the community nurse will pop over to do.mine in the future.
Anything to save going to oncology and seeing all the ladies being pumped with chemo!! AAGH.
Hugs xx

Hi

Just had my 15th Denosumab, didn’t realise I had that many. I asked about doing them yourself and was told they don’t let you, but have been trying to get GPs to do it, without success, all to do with budgets.

Has anyone had any facial numbness? 3times I’ve had a numb face and lip in the night. I thought it was low calcium as was told this could be the case if I had tingling in my lips, so have taken another adcal, however I still have it at nearly 6pm. Told nurse that did denosumab, Dr too busy to see me due to junior Dr strike. Suggested gp, who won’t have a clue and dentist. Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this. The only thing that’s changed is going on Letrozole.

Xxx

For a few days after injection I get an ache in my face and a headache …then day four to seven …I really ache all over.
I know this sounds really silly …but the night after I got home from injection …I could almost feel the stuff going round my body .
Hugs xx

Hi Carolyn

I’m pretty sure its not denosumab. I’ve had my injection today, but had the facial neuropathy type thing started two days before it. I think its the Letrozole.

Just a matter of wait and see I suppose. But thanks for the info.

Take care xxx

Ahh, thank you all for such good advice and personal experiences.  Having my first one today so at least I know what I can expect thanks to all you lovely ladies xx

Hiya bjh …best of luck for the bone juice today …it will b a doddle …wait and see.
Hugs xx

Hiya deedeepuss.
I used to have a list of side effects of letrozole but seem to have lost it. If its one of the rarer ones …maybe you ought to chat to oncologist .
The pill might b small but it certainly has a lot of power to cause us problems. Have you changed the brand recently? I’m on fourth month of cipra brand and just hope to stay with it.
Hugs xx