Starting chemo in October

Hi is anyone starting chemo in October

Hi Gail, just BUMPing this up for you in the hope someone spots it soon… Chemo seems incredibly scary before you start it, and there enough horror stories to fill several large books, but actually it is ‘do-able’ and the majority of people don’t have too many awful side effects. It may seem ridiculous to say this now, but all too soon it will be behind you and a fading memory.

Keep in mind that people post more about struggles and yucky stuff than they do about it all going along in a steady fashion. Hopefully you will be one of the majority who finds it all goes along fairly smoothly.

Keep posting and don’t be afraid to ask any question, however trivial it may seem.

Hello-
Yes I have just been diagnosed and have been told I’ll start at the end of September. A bit scary- but I saw someone advise that It’s good to be on a forum with people going through it at the same stage - so here I am !
I know very little about my full condition yet - I’ve just been diagnosed and am still to go through initial tests.
It all seems abit unreal at the moment. I’m pretty squemish so at the moment I’m in the ‘ignorance is bliss’ frame of mind. But I’m determined to get through this well - and the good stories here are beginning to help get over the initial shock.

Hi Jane,

Welcome to the Breast Cancer Care discussion forums where I am sure you will get a lot of good, honest support from the many informed users of this site. To help you along I have put you the link to one of BCC’s publications which I hope you find helpful, also our freefone helpline staff are on hand for that extra support if you need a good listening ear. Calls are free, 0808 800 6000 lines open Mon to Fri 9-5 and Sat 10-2

www2.breastcancercare.org.uk/publications/diagnosed-breast-cancer/breast-cancer-you-diagnosis-treatment-future-bcc44

Take care,

Jo, Facilitator

I may be a oct but I am hoping it’s Sept. I went to the onc last Monday. Totally shell shocked so back there this Monday to sign on dotted line and go thro stuff. It’s so scary and trying to be prepared and stay positive. Lumpectomy seems easy compared to this. No worrying about that and the beauty of scar area.

Hi
Ditto Nic. Decided after seeing onc today. Appt Mon. and have been told I will start in 2 weeks or so. I will be booked in to a mobile unit about 2 miles from home at a local sports centre. Glad I won’t have far to travel. Be good to read how everyone gets on. Feeling bit apprehensive and reading how others get on really helps. Just want to get on with it now…
Good luck everyone
x

Yep, I’m due to start in October too. I’m getting portocath fitted 2nd Oct, first chemo on 4th. I seem to be very calm about the whole thing except at night - not sleeping well due to uncomfortable fluid build up after lymph clearance (22 out of 24 were affected). It’s when laying awake at night that I start thinking about it all too much. I had fluid drained off again today so hopefully will get some sleep tonight!
I’m having FEC-T and have bought two cute hats already!
Good luck all!
x

I start tomorrow - did put a post somewhere else about my jourmey so far = but not very techy and now cant find it!!! MX 1st august 2nd op 21st August remove remainder of lymph nodes. 10 removed, 5 affected 5 clear (to my mind 50% positive), Chemo (TAX chemotherapy) 1st of 6 starts tomorrow at 11.30.
Deep breath and here we go.

Good luck Bistobear. Let us all now how you get on. I will be starting end sept probably and will also be taking a deep breath some time soon
x

Hi all I’ve finally been given a date to start chemo its 8th October. 9 weeks after my operation I’m going to mallorca next Friday for a week so I’m going to do my best to put it out of my mind until I get back (don’t think thats going to happen though ). I’m having FEC-T four of each. Not sleeping well at all so hoping the break away will help

hi girls,
im just popping in from the April thread to give you all some moral support. I am now 6 weeks post my final chemo and I can’t believe how time has flown. please take some time to read our thread from the beginning as it covers just about everything for your whole journey. it’s also very funny in parts and extremely positive and not full of doom and gloom ( although we are very honest) we were all terrified at the start but it really helped to have some virtual pals to hold hands with as we went through. I couldn’t have done it without the other April bunnies!
My advise would be don’t be afraid to ask anybody anything. phone your chemo unit if you are in doubt about anything and be positive as you will have lots of days when you will feel bright and well. Chemo is definitely doable and the thought is worse than the reality.
Many of us worry in the middle of the night ( we call it washing machine head) but that seems to fade when you actually start the treatment as you feel you are doing something totackle your bc. ( we don’t allow breast cancer the courtesy of capitals! ) this forum is a place to share your deepest worries with people who truly understand and unlike family you wont have to worry about upseti g them.
do feel free to pop into us anytime if you need help or support.
take care
vannsx

Hi

Like Vanns I am popping in from the April thread & would second everything she said. You are in the worst place at the moment, once chemo starts oddly it gets better, because you can control at least some of the little things. Joining the April thread was the best thing I did, we have laughed & raged together and it is fabulous to share with other people feeling the same. Campo’s spa has soothed us in our darkest moments and there has always been someone on a good week ( and you do have them) while others have been down. You will all obsess about the same things at the same time starting with hair (when should I shave) and ending with hair (is it growing back).

There is a light at the end of the tunnel, like Vanns I am 6 weeks post chemo, we held virtual hands all the way as we had chemo on the same day. Tomorrow I am going to Turkey on holiday & last weekend I went to a music festival and danced in a tent for several hours each night! I am still knackered on a regular basis, have no eyelashes or eyebrows but my hair is coming back and I am beginning to feel like the old me.

Also if any of you have a desk job & need to work for your sanity, it is possible. I am self employed so had no choice, but worked on average 2 days a week right through treatment & it kept me sane. I was lucky that my employer was very flexible but it is doable.

Hang on in there, hold each others hands & good luck.

S x

Hi Gail65, Dragonbunny, Bistobear, Teej, Nic1970, & Jane813 - Ditto everything Vanns & Southpool have said. I am also from April Bunnies. Without April Bunnies it would have been a very hard journey as I am living in Spain and do not have the benefit of support from the health system as is in the UK. Without my virtual bunnies I would have been a very sad & lonely bunny. So keep talking to each other, hold nothing back and be there for each other holding each others hands.

I am now 12 weeks since my last chemo and 3 weeks from my last radiotherapy. Chemo is doable - not pleasant and some horrible ses (side effects) but you will get through. We are now all heading to the end of our tunnel and starting to live life to the full slowly but surely. Always be kind to yourselves and yes be selfish.

Now something to help you through your darkest hours or when you are undergoing a scan, in a waiting room, having chemo etc.

Imagine yourself on a very quiet beach, you are looking out to sea, the sun is reflecting on the sea glittering like diamonds, you can hear the waves, feel the sea breeze brushing against your face, your arms, your legs, you are calm very calm - welcome to Campo Spa.

Hugs & Kisses to All October Cats

Hilary xxxx

Thanks to Vanns, southpool and campo (Hilary) for their words of support- it really does help to hear from those of you who have gone through chemo recently.
I’ve just found out I start on 3rd October 12. But plenty of scans to go through before then. I had a CT scan earlier this week- but in the process of getting the needle put in my hand I fainted ! Suddenly I was surrounded by nurses making sure I was ok- best place to faint I suppose. However I was in a room where other women were having chemo so I felt like a bit of a ‘softy’- they were all absolutely fine- and here I am fainting when the needle went in !
Consequently they’ve suggested that I get a ‘line’ put in (??) at my neck (?) so I don’t have the same thing happening when I start chemo.
Hope things are ok bistobear. Good luck dragonbunny and Gail65. Looks like we’re all in this together at this time.

Hello you October Pumpkins!

I am Pixie, from the April thread "The easter Chemo Bunnies’… and shall think of you as lovely warm, orange pumpkins.

Bc is a bugger and the treatment is a bigger one. but you know, it does pass so quickly. Once you get started, your life becomes very scheduled, you know exactly how you are going to feel on each day of your cycle. Our April thread, okay i am bias, is the most glorious one on here - mainlu becasue it is so blooming funny. Who would have thought we could have laughed through this? But we have. Okay we have cried and ranted as well, but most of the time we have laughed and just got on with it.

We have now all finished chemo and some of us have finished our rads too. We are having a terrific meet up at the end of October when we are traveling from all over the country to meet in person for the first time. goodness, we shall be heavy on the tissues that day. So i am sharing this with you, as vans, campo and southpool have said, it is do-able but it is not do-able alone.

Just a few pieces of advice:

1. Do NOT rush out and buy wigs. I did. Spent a fortune and bought 3 and have only ever worn one intermittently. make sure you get your wig voucher from your hospital. i didn’t get one so paid over £300 for one of my wigs - with a voucher it would have been £60.

2. Ask for a line putting in, either a PICC or a Hickman. saves all the hunt the needle fiasco and protects your veins. Chemo is very hard on the veins and can cause them to collapse or harden.

3. keep ahead of the constipation. I know, it sounds awful but believe me, constipation has been the constant problem for almost all of us.

I have worked all through my treatment, by taking one week off in three, working part-time week two and full-time week three. For me, being self-employed, i had no choice but am glad i did it as it is so easy to become consumed by cancer world.

the other thing i have done is get into fund-raising big time by making and selling happy bags… am sure each and everyone of you would like one. please send me a message and i will direct you to my website where you can read more about them.

Do read our April thread - it will cover all your questions and also make you laugh.

Good luck and much love

Pixie
xx

Hi Octobercats
I start chemo FEC x6 Thurs Sep 27, so am counting myself as an October person. I wrote a bit about difficult decision-making under “Optional Chemo”. Had my shoulder-length hair cut short a few days ago to make the cold cap and probable big moult more manageable. This makes me feel I have already started as I miss my hair and think I look 10 years older, though my marvellous hubby says he likes it. Had a professional photo of the 2 of us done to remind me that normality will eventually come back.
Thanks to Revcat for advice about it not necessarily being nightmare. Like Dragonbunny, just want to get on with it now.
Good luck to you all.
Is anyone else doing this after rads?

Hello October Pumpkins! Popping in from the April thread to say hello and good luck to those of you starting chemo soon. As the rest of the bunnies have said, it is doable and once you get into the schedule you will find it easier to cope. Not much else to offer in the way of advice except to say don’t worry if you have down days - that’s completely normal. Just go with it and it will pass. Oh and if you don’t have a line put in and have to have your veins searched for on a regular basis (as I did) don’t get too stressed and drink lots of water before you go to the unit. You may want to pee more but they will find your veins a little easier.

Hugs,
Sarabee xxx

Hi

Thanks to all who have hopped over to give encouragement and info. Like Tabitha-Twitchett I am starting this Thurs 27th. Will stay with the Pumpkins. Must remember to drink water the day before and after. Going to have my long hair cut tomorrow and trying the cold cap to see how it goes. x

Hi all I too have hopped over from the April Bunny thread, just to give you all a virtual hug and just repeat all what the other bunnies have said, you will get through it and once you get started it does become a bit better as Southpool has said. Tabitha and Dragonfly I also used the cold cap, and still have most of my hair, please feel free to send me a message if you neede any tips on using the cold cap, I had Fec and Tax. Love to all will hop over again to make sure your all ok. Lots of Love Elainexx

Hi,
Starting chemo on 1st October, starting to sink in now, having my eggs harvested tomorrow just incase!
Getting FEC-T 4+2.

xxx