71.4K members
1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Subcutaneous Hercepin for secondaries....?

24 REPLIES 24
elliedog

Re: Subcutaneous Hercepin for secondaries....?

Hi geordiex. I've just posted on the Living with Breast Cancer section about my scan. Its a bit long winded so I'll let you read it there in stead of me going on. But i think it was good news and the onc was very positive.xx
geordiex

hi Elliedog have you had your scan yet ? xx

elliedog

Think I have just lost my first post. Just wanted to say it looks like the subcut is a real time saver. I dont think I will have it offered to me as I have Pejeta with my Herceptin so looks like its still the 3 to 4 hours in the chair every 3 weeks. Good to hear your doing well.xx
geordiex

Hi Sarah what prior treatments have you had for your secondaries I'm being treated for for secondaries to liver and so far so good ,and as you can see had my first subcut Herceptin last week xx

sarahlousie

Saw Onc a couple of weeks ago re results of CT scan which weren't that good 'somthing' on my liver now, however I did remember to ask about Subcut and she told me that I would probably be having a few more of the regular infusions but they will be rolling it out for Secondary patients in the Devon area, really hope they crack on with this it took 4 attempts at home for the nurse to find a decent vein and its gettin harder. xxx

geordiex

side effects the same 😕 it was injected into my thigh in 5 mls of solution 5. mins it took took my temp and bp before and after ,I did'nt ask about self administring but I'm sure in time it will be ,once it was done and bp etc checked I was free to go xx

vercors

Lucky you geordiex. Tell me more! 

Did you have to stay on for a while? Will you be able to self administer in the future? How big of an injection is it? 

Do you happen if it is expected to have similar side effects as the IV, I am really interested in the knowing whehter it can also damage the heart. 

Yesterday I saw my onc and Oxfordshire NHS trust has yet to sign an agreement with Roche. I was told that only if it worked out cheaper than the IV will they move forward. Obviously they will take the cost of amdinistering into consideration. This being said, she was quite confident that it will happen. 

geordiex

Hi all just had my first subcutaneous herceptin x

geordiex

have just spoken to the unit and Newcastle is the leading light in subcutaneous herceptin so as from Monday everyone primary AND secondary will be getting this here in Newcastle xx

geordiex

well my onc who was involved in the trials at newcastle said all his secondary ladies are getting it

sarahlousie

Hi StickiVicki,
Thanks for sharing this link and dam what an absolute bummer!! I got myself all excited about this, god I hope they do roll it out to us with secondaries my last infusion was a right nightmare urghhhhhh. x
StickiVicki

http://www.england.nhs.uk/2013/09/24/cancer-treatment-injctn/?fb_action_ids=620528054653840&fb_actio...

FYI - at the moment they are saying it has been sanctioned for Early Stagers only ...

sarahlousie

Getting my latest CT scan results on my lungs   4th of Oct so will be asking about subcut Herceptin. Just had my 3 weekly infusion and its starting to get a bit of problem with my veins, the health care at home nurse tried 3 times eventually she managed to get the canula in but its left me very bruised, I suppose considering I've been on it for the past 2 years I should expect this,  this subcut would be so great, the nurse told me I'd be able to inject it directly into fatty tissue (heaven knows I've enough of that lol) rather than playing hunt the vein.x

geordiex

my onc dr (name removed)  says that will come eventually which newspaper said about staying in for observation I havent read that or been told that x

SP0

Thanks geordiex.  Today's announcement was different to what I was expecting.  If the drug itself costs the same & we have to stay in hospital for 90 mins afterwards for observation, then I'm not sure I see the benefit for us! 

I'm guessing the trials have been done on primary patients, I'll be asking what evidence there is of effective suppression for secondary patients.   I had hoped the benefit would be giving ourselves the jab at home, or at the GP and potentially allowing travel etc.   Maybe that's all further down the line.....

Sarah.x

geordiex

subcutaneous now available on NHS in press today my consultants name in article xx

geordiex

Hi I heard it was but nurse said it was the same but will find out xx

vercors

I can't wait to get it subcutaneously, especially if it can be self administered. i am sure trials will have to be in hospital. I am ready to give up herceptin at home and go to the hospital for injection.
Geordiex, could you ask your onc whether the subcutaneous injection is easier to the heart than normal herceptin.
Take care

geordiex

the bobby robson foundation is at the freeman where they do the trials and my onc is involved in a lot of the trials such as perjeta ,so I would trust him x

SP0

Thanks for giving your hospital name geordiex, I'll mention to my onc next week.

As I understand it's still in trials, I'd be asking what reassurance there is that the subcutaneous application is as effective as the intravenous one...

Good luck, Sarah. x

geordiex

will do I must admit I was very surprised but my onc is going for it ,its at the freeman hospital in newcastle upon tyne x

SP0

Think you might be a first Geordiex.   Keep us posted.

thanks Sarah

geordiex

I've been told I will be getting this on my next 3 weekly herceptin or the one after that .

sarahlousie

I had heard of this back in 2011 when I was dx and due to secondarys on my lungs will be on herceptin forever anything that minimises time and my poor viens is worth it.  Did your onc mention when they might be rolling this one out? My next onc appt is in early oct so will ask them about this then.

xx

SP0

Subcutaneous Hercepin for secondaries....?

Some of you will know trials are underway for herceptin delivered subcutaneously for primary bc.   Benefits are lower cost & convenience to us - eg, ability to travel with it.

My oncologist belives it wil come in time for secondaries too and reacted enthusiastically when I asked him to bear my interest in mind.  (Cost no benefit to him as I have Bupa treatement!).

I'm interested to know if anyone else has any experience or knowledge of it.  There was some previous discussion about this on Blondie's thread "ten years on" and with Vercors....

Sarah.