Breast implants after Mastectomy.

I am 35 years old, work in an IT company and is living in Toronto. I had a terrible phase in my life when I was diagnosed with cancer. I should have been more careful because even my mom had cancer. I had severe bone pain and yellowish skin on my breast. I consulted a doctor and broken when I was diagnosed with breast cancer. I did chemotherapy initially, later I decided to remove the cancerous tissue with radiation. It wasn’t quite effective, as a result of which I had to perform a mastectomy. I had my left breast removed. Now it’s been one year and I don’t have any complications right now and I feel fine now. In the place of my breast, I have a hollow space and that makes me feel low. I can’t be 35 and without a breast. That is the worst thing that can happen. I was thinking of doing a breast augmentation surgery from Toronto. I don’t want to live rest of my life without a breast. Is that a good option considering my medical history? Will I further face any complications. I even had radiotherapy performed? Is that going to have any effect on this surgery?

Hi SunVogue2,

Thank you for sharing your experience and I’m sorry to hear you’re going through this. 

We do have a nursing team you can call but since you’re outside the UK, email might be better - here’s the form that goes straight through to our breast care nurses: breastcancercare.org.uk/submission/ask-our-nurses 

I hope they can help talk through your possible options, keeping in mind our healthcare systems will obviously differ.

Take care, 

Becca at Breast Cancer Care. 

Is Breast augmentation is done through fat grafting? I read something like that somewhere while searching for fat grafting UK.

Hi my name is sarah I am 49 I lost my left breast and it hurts that there is an empty space I am considering a breast replacement but I am scared I miss wearing bras and looking like a woman did you go through with having a replacement.