Recently diagnosed, probable liver mets

Hi , I’ve just joined  

I have recently been diagnosed with ER + , HER2- bc with probable mets in liver 

I say probable because one radiographer says yes they are cancer whilst another isn’t convinced ! I’ve had CT , ultrasound and liver MRI 

Ive to start chemo next week and they’ve said they will do another mri at some point during it , I see my oncologist next week just before I start chemo 

I just wondered if anyone has been in a similar situation ? I’m obviously terrified , especially as I’ve been told liver mets are the worst ?!! 
Love to all 

Hi Loobylou

Sorry to hear your news. Firstly hope you don’t need to join this group and you don’t have mets. I have liver mets since last October they say a small dot 4mm. I was put on a chemo tablet (capecitabine) which didn’t work so am starting IV chemo this Friday (paclitaxol) it’s pretty rubbish but no choice really but to be strong and just do it. There are many people on here who are on the same treatment and have had good results. I have a friend who has liver mets and hers disappeared. There is hope. There is also lots of treatments if the first doesn’t work for ER+.

once you have a treatment plan things will settle down.

Keep strong and keep in touch.

Love and hugs louise x

Hi Loobyloop

I’m so sorry you may be joining us, in the best sense of course - I hope you don’t have to and there’s no spread to the liver. Since this appears to be a de novo diagnosis (straight to Secondary), your head must be reeling with every negative emotion going. A breast cancer diagnosis does tend to turn our world upside down and the uncertainties and the waiting don’t help at all.

The important thing to know is that there are lots of treatments and they are all manageable. It’s not the best experience but it has its funny moments as well as its scary ones - and you meet amazing people from oncologists to cleaners to fellow patients. Don’t listen to gossip because the picture is invariably bad. If your oncologist tells you liver mets are the worst kind, that’s fine but otherwise it’s just gossip and alarming at a time when you don’t want that. I expect people with brain mets or bone mets might disagree with you. I’d say Triple Negative is the worst kind (you don’t have that) but it’s not a competition. From a breast cyst to Stage 4 cancer, it’s all equally terrifying and we learn to manage it all.

If you can, do spend the next few days investing in your emotional wellbeing. Have a weekend away, get drunk (maybe the last time for ages), go running, get pampered - just do things for yourself while you can enjoy them and enjoy the benefit of NOT thinking about Monday and what might or might not be said. There are NHS-approved apps like Calm and Headspace, both of which can help you meditate, relax, even sleep. I plug into videos on YouTube by Progressive Hypnosis and they rarely fail me, giving me a couple of hours away with the fairies, if not sending me to sleep. If you already practise something like mindfulness, meditation, yoga, tai chi, even swimming - anything like that will hold you in good stead for what lies ahead and now is the time to embed it into your day.

I wish you all the best and hope that Monday’s news sends you skipping back to the main forum. If it doesn’t, we’re here for you for whenever you feel the need for support. You can find out later what support BCN offers. Good luck

Jan x