Aunt aged 91 diagnosed with breast cancer

Hello there,

My aunt has recently, (3months), been diagnosed. She is in a care home, and is now suffering from Alzheimers, she is  91, but until recently was very communicative, and fairly bright.

I am very close to her, and want to do all I can to help her during this. I am one of her 2 attorneys, and am willing to do anything, subject to my own limitations, (I am 74). Any ideas on prognosis at this age, it is being treated with Anastrozole…(receptor positive?)…what can I do to help her, her GP is rather less than helpful.

Regards to all, Paul

Hi Paul and welcome to the BCC forums

Along with the support you will find here please feel free to call our helpliners for further practical and emotional support, you can talk through the queries that you have on 0808 800 6000, lines are open weekdays 9-5 and Sat 10-2

Best wishes
Lucy BCC

No problem at all Paul, I am sure you will find some support here

Lucy

Hello Paul,
I am sorry to hear that your aunt has been diagnosed with BC especially as she is already suffering from the challenges of Alzheimer’s. It must be a difficult time for you because you are very close to her.
You say that she was diagnosed 3 months ago and has been prescribed Anastrozole but have not mentioned any operation to remove the tumour. Maybe the risks were too high to operate because of her age.
I think some GP’s are a bit hit and miss when it comes to dealing with cancer patients. I found the breast care nurses and oncologists at the Breast Clinic far more knowledgeable because it is their area of expertise.
Your aunt’s oncologist would be able to give you more information on her prognosis. As her Power of Attorney, are you entitled to speak to her oncologist and breast care nurse as they would be able to help you with any questions and concerns?
Like your aunt, I am taking Anastrozole as part of my treatment plan because I was ER+. I am 58 and must admit that dealing with the side effects of this drug is a daily challenge. Needless to say, it must be very difficult coping with the side effects at 91 years of age and with Alzheimer’s.
I bought a small, handbag size fan from M&S (£6.00) which is fabulous for the hot flushes and a lavender wheat body wrap (£10.00) for my aching joints which can be heated in a microwave. They have really helped me cope with some of the side effects. Just a couple of ideas you might like to consider for your aunt to ease any discomfort she may be experiencing from taking Anastrozole.
Kind regards.
Peace and Positivity,
M

Hello Paul,

I’m sorry I’ve come to this a bit late, but I felt I must tell you about a lady I met recently. She is, admittedly, a little younger than your wonderful aunt, but is very frail with many other health problems. She doesn’t have alzheimers, but does have a little memory loss. She too has been diagnosed with a hormone positive breast cancer, but can’t have surgery or any of the usual treatments we younger women have. She is on Letrozole, a similar drug to Anastrazole and her tumour is shrinking. This is probably why your aunt has been given anastrazole, as it can be quite effective in making the tumour much smaller so it can be monitored and hopefully, won’t become invasive. I think that with this treatment, it is hoped that your aunt’s life will be as long as it would have been without the cancer. I hope this reassures you. Perhaps you could have a chat with the oncologist who prescribed Anastrazole to her, they might give you a better idea of her prognosis.

poemsgalore xx

Given the situation you have described, the likely scenario is that the sore will become larger, perhaps causing pain and likely emitting an unpleasant odor.  Of course, this is only a guess and the disease could spread to other organs as well.  It would be a good idea to get your Nana into a doctor to see if there is anything that could be done - perhaps not to cure her but to address her quality of life. Even in elderly patients, there may be a variety of treatment options which may be of benefit.