How can we help - go private see private consultants?

Hi,

Today a family member has been diagnosed with Grade 2 Ductal cancer. Obviously we want to do all we can but the family is already feeling like a spare part as we a firmly in the hands of the NHS. Can we pay to make things move quicker or receive better service? She has surgery booked for 2 weeks’ time to remove the lump. Any advice on this matter will be gratefully accepted.

General advice if you been in a similar situation (GRADE 2) would also a great help

Many thanks

Hi Worriedfamily01

Welcome to the BCC Forum. 

Our Helpline is available for family and friends of people affected by breast cancer .  You might find it helpful to give them a call to talk things over. They will be able to offer you information and support.

The opening times are 9-5 on weekdays and 10-2 on Saturdays.  The number is 0808 800 6000

Very best wishes

Janet

BCC Moderator

Hi I wasn’t grade 2 but I had to have mastectomy and I did go private, however my nhs appointment for surgery was only one week after my private op, the care I received before I moved to private was fantastic and I only moved to private because my nhs trust did not offer strattice and I would have had to had the LD and implant which I did not want. Aside from the private room and bathroom there is not a great deal of advantage in my opinion. I hope that helps

Hi, I too had invasive ductal cancer. Had prompt treatment on NHS: diagnosed on 14 April, booked for surgery 8 days later but postponed due to chest infection until 29th, results 2 wks later on 12 May then further surgery just 3 days later on 15 May. The longest wait has been since surgery and appt with oncologist, wounds have to heal though before next treatment so that’s fine.

I know I’ve been lucky as it varies between areas. 2 wks until your relative’s surgery is pretty good. It’s a personal decision though. Good luck.

Hi, meant to say that as well as emotional support my 2 sisters have been wonderful. After each surgery, they cooked meals that could be frozen (curry, chilli, Bolognese etc.), arranged for groceries to be delivered (they do know my tastes very well),  bought new soft pillows that really helped, especially after the surgery to remove all my lymph nodes, helped me choose pyjamas, soft night bras etc. As I’m now going on to have chemo, my sister took me to an upmarket salon for a wig fitting and a short re-style to match the wig. I’m not boasting and I know I’m extremely fortunate to have such a wonderful family (hubby and my adult sons have also been amazing), I just thought I’d share with you some of the practical things that have really helped me, and also meant that my family could help me, and that was important for them too. They’re also organising a rota to take me to my many hospital visits!  I wish you and your loved one all the best.