Mum has liver and bone mets

Hi 

my mum has been diagnosed with bone (sternum and lower back) and liver mets almost 3 years after her initial diagnosis of ER+ primary bc. We are all in shock as we thought she was healthy and low risk for recurrence. We don’t yet know the treatment plan but I am so scared as I know this is incurable :frowning: I feel so helpless. I’m scared of losing her quickly and don’t really understand mets prognosis. I’m only in my 20s and the thought of losing her is breaking my heart.

is there any young people/ anyone at all really with experience of supporting someone with met that have any advice on how to handle such a horrible situation? 

thanks 

x

Hi

Thank you for your comment and we’re so sorry to read about your mum’s diagnosis.

Supporting a relative can be a really upsetting and hard time. We want you to know that we’re here for you.

To be able to support your mum, you need to look after yourself. You can call our Helpline on 0808 800 6000 to speak to one of our nurses who can help support you through this time and offer you practical advice. 

Other charities have useful information and services that can give you advice on supporting your mum such as Carers UK and the Samaritans.

Hopefully, someone will be along shortly to pick up the conversation on this thread, but we hope that the nurses on our helpline can offer you some support in the meantime.

Sending our best wishes to you and your family,

Saskia