Second opinions?

Hello

My sister-in-law has been recently diagnosed with Grade 3 cancer.

The recommended treatment is a strong course of chemo first followed by a full mastectomy due to the postion of the lump. The surgical consultant has advised that reconstruction will be very tricky.

My question is, does she have a right to request a referral to another hospital (of her choice) for a second opinion? I really want to make sure she is getting consistent and good (the best) advice.

Another friend of mine was told a similar thing at the outset and then she paid for a private consultation with a consultant at the Royal Marsden who said they could do a lumpectomy and save her nipple (as long as there were no cancerous cells behind it)…which they did! (She has now been given the all clear after a tough year of surgery and chemo)

Does anyone know if my sister-in-law can ask to be referred elsewhere for a second opinion? She does not have the funds to pay for a private consultation.

Any advice gratefully received.

Thanks

Hi Link

Welcome to the BCC forum.

Your question might be something our Helpline could help with.  The opening times are 9-5 on weekdays and 10-2 on Saturdays.  The number is 0808 800 6000

Very best wishes

Janet

BCC Moderator

Assuming your sister-in-law is being treated under the NHS in UK?  If so, the answer is ‘yes’ she can expect to have arrangements made for a second opinion at another hopsital should she ask for it.  I know several people who have done this in England.