recently diagnosed

my wife has been diagnised with cancer in both breasts  g1 and g2  having wire fitted and just got letter op is next friday

we have three kids , i dont know how to react or help  as if im still in limbo 

Hi Troopie,
Sorry to hear your wife has been diagnosed, it’s always a shock & it does take time for us to get our head around it.
The limbo feeling you describe is common to most of us, almost if it was happening to someone else.
It will feel better when the treatment plan is confirmed, as then we know what’s involved & feel more in control again.
I’m sure you’re doing all you need to, by being there for her & your kids, but do seek support if you need to as well. There is always the helpline here if you need to talk anything through.
Also, do look at the other areas of the forum, such as ‘going through treatment,’ we are happy to help friends & family members as well.
ann x

Hi troopie, i had the exact same problem with my partner when she was diagnosed. I always felt I wasn’t helping in any way shape or form. It’s been a year since diagnosis and she has praised me for simply being there for her. It’s hard how to react in certain situations but as long as you’re there to listen to her that is the main thing. It can be really hard for partners of those who are going through this and it’s important to speak about it to others. That was my mistake, it eats you up inside. Don’t feel that you can’t open up about it if it’s not you with the disease. Speak to someone, it helps I promise. If you want to speak to me about it I would be more than happy as it would help me too.