Phased return back to work

Hi Ladies

I hope you are all doing well, I finish Radiotherapy on Monday 11th March, I have a new part time job which also starts next week.

My question is I have started to Claim ESA, due to my last job making me redundant post treatment. I have received confusing info re how many hours I can work whilst receiving ESA.

Can anyone help? 

Thanks 

monica

Not sure if you have done this or not, but have you contacted your local job centre and checked with them.  I had a look on the DWP website but it seems to depend on what sort of ESA you are on as to how many hours/how much you can earn, but I would have thought that the job centre will be able to clarify it.

Helena xx

Hi there,

I am looking into this too, there is an income threshold from April 2019 of £131.50 per week after tax and NI, this income threshold would also include any pension paid by yourself or your employer. This information came from a telephone conversation with the DWP. So, £131.50 would be disregarded income. Any income above this would affect your ESA income but I am not sure how. Remember with ESA your NI is being paid too which I think works out about £15 per week

The hours per week are less than 16 hours, this is named permitted work. I am not sure about holiday pay, whether this is disregarded.

My advice would be to get all the information together as a break in your ESA due to breaking the DWP rules may mean you can’t re-apply for 3 months, telephone the DWP direct which is what I’m planning to do with regards to holiday pay.

SSP is payable if you meet the income threshold which is £116 per week, 8 week average, so you would have to work for 8 weeks before you were eligible. The £116 may increase April 2019. 

Tread very carefully as worse case scenario would be that you end up with no safety net. You should be placed in the support only group. x

Hi there

Just read to be entitled to SSP the April 2019 income threshold is £118 per week, earned for 8 weeks before applying. X