15 years on

Well, I never come on here any more.  I lived on here years ago, it was my safe space to be.

Fifteen years ago today I had a mastectomy, so today I have been free of cancer for 15 years.  Never thought I’d get to say that. 

I had grade 3, ER+, PR+, HER2+ cancer that had spread to three lymph nodes.  After the mastectomy I had 8 cycles of chemo (FEC then Taxotere), 4 weeks of rads, a year of herceptin and 10 years of tamoxifen.  I had an LD flap reconstruction in 2010.

When I was diagnosed my three children were all at high school.  I thought I’d never see them to adulthood.  Well, I’ve seen all three graduate, two get married, and one have a baby, so I am a grandma. 

My only gripe is the damned hot flushes!  Will they ever go away?  Fifteen years and counting! To be fair, they’re not as bad as they were and mostly I can ignore them.  Sometimes a big one still gets me though.

To all of you out there at the start of your cancer journey (how I hate that word!) there is life after cancer, and hopefully lots of it. Hang on in there.

Nice to hear from you again Roadrunner .Glad you are still doing well.

Hey ! Its so helpful to have people come back on here with updates a LOoonnnnngggg way down the line, for everybody (myself included). :slightly_smiling_face:

Hi! Hearing you story makes me hopeful. I just got my diagnosis last 2 days and I am terrified. It still hasn’t sunk in yet that I have breast cancer. Even saying the words still make me tearful but I have been reading stories in this forum and its making me hopeful. It’s great to know that there are a lot of people who survived breast cancer.

Thank you for this post. Your diagnosis sounds pretty much exactly the same as mine (Dec 2021), so it’s lovely to hear a positive story. X

What a brilliant and inspiring post Roadrunner! You’ve been through the mill right enough - enjoy enjoy enjoy xxx even with the pesky hot flushes!

Hello @RoadRunner   Hope you are keeping well.  16 years today since my dx.  Much Love to you and all on the Forum