2 tumours in same breast

Diagnosed with oestrogen positive HEP2 negative 11 m IDC in early December. Another biopsy has come back positive , 5mm IDC close to the first . This has been such a long journey and I am really losing control and can’t stop crying . I have a meeting with the consultant tomorrow , they are still talking lumpectomy and radiotherapy but the goal posts keep changing which is causing me huge distress - anyone had a similar diagnoses and can offer some much needed positivity . I am a total wreck and feel out of control

4 Likes

Hi
I had bilateral breast cancer and had DCIS,LCIS, IDC, ILC in both. Right breast 7.6cm, left 6.9cm.
I had to have reconstruction surgery otherwise I would have had no breasts. Surgery went well and thereafter radiotherapy.
I only found out about the extent of the cancer after surgery but I would have still opted for the type of surgery I chose.
I was a bit freaked out about it at the time but was assured that it made no difference to the treatment plan or my prognosis. I am over 5 years down the line and doing okay.

5 Likes

That is so reassuring Mullberry , thank you so much for replying . I need to hear this as my mind is taking me to such a dark place

3 Likes

Hi @llanwinno123, basically me! My initial tumour was identified at the end of November and was the same status as yours (also 11mm). 2 weeks later I felt another lump in the same boob and asked for it to be scanned. Sure enough, it was another tumour (9mm). My consultant then gave me the option of having a mastectomy, or I could have an MRI and if there were no further tumours then his recommendation was a double lumpectomy. I have fairly big boobs (DD/E) and there was a 5cm gap between the tumours. No other tumours were found so I had a double lumpectomy on 2 January. The snb was carried out via lump A’s incision so I’ve ended up with 2 incisions in total.

I haven’t had my results yet but my dressings were removed today. I’m quite astounded by the results as my boob is still generally the same shape as before but is very slightly smaller with a slight uplift. It looks great! I had got it into my head that half of my boob would be removed. I’m really happy with how it looks today (early days I know).

Please try not to panic about it, easier said than done I know, it just means a slightly different action plan to the one you anticipated. I’m here if you need me x

2 Likes

I’ve been to those dark places too, in the early days. Once I knew what I was dealing with,I began to feel more in control. I learned as much as I could about my cancer, did proper research and found it comforting that I felt I knew everything there was to know. The rest was down to the experts to ensure I got the right treatment -then and now as I’m still on anastrozole and still meet with the breast team. Try not to worry about it, you’re in safe hands.

3 Likes

Hi blue lagoon , yes it does sound similar , my first lump measures at 11mm and the second lump 5mm . They say they are about 5 cm apart, does that make the cancer multi centric?The consultant is advising a double lumpectomy but would do a mastectomy if that is what I would prefer. I have large 36g breasts and I am so torn on making a decision, I made the mistake of googling multi centric and so wish I hadn’t …

1 Like

Today was difficult because I struggled with the initial diagnoses in early December and to learn today that there is another tumour feels like a kick in the teeth ….I had a complete breakdown, I am still waiting for a date for surgery and it is so hard then I feel guilty because there are so many with more difficult cancers to treat .
I am lucky to live on the Black Isle in the Highlands so walking on the beach helps . I find this forum can help me look at things rationally at a time when my emotions are all over the place

1 Like

I also made the same mistake of googling it and terrifying myself. However, my consultant has not put a name to it (either verbally or in writing) and both he and my breast cancer nurse seemed relaxed about the whole thing (as though it was irrelevant whether there were one or two tumours to treat). I decided to go with the flow and use the same approach. He did say that if any more lesions had shown up on the MRI then it would have been an automatic mastectomy.

The MDT recommended a double lumpectomy (with a snb) and I was content to go with it. I did have the odd day when I questioned my decision but now that I have seen the physical result I am satisfied it was the correct one for me. Hopefully I won’t need more surgery. My results day is on 31/1. I’m literally taking it one stage at a time.

Do you know when you will get your surgery date? Hopefully once you get that you will have a focus to move forward instead of being stuck in limbo. As everybody else says on here, the waiting (and the inevitable overthinking!) is horrible. Try to stay positive, you are currently on an emotional rollercoaster (potentially prone to breaking down at any random moment!) but it will get better x

1 Like

Meeting the consultant tomorrow so hopefully have a date for surgery then . I think I will feel better once I have at least a date for something as all I have had is biopsy’s x3

2 Likes

Have you had an MRI? x

No , not even sure what they are , should I ask for one?

My consultant was adamant I needed one before they agreed to the double lumpectomy so they could be sure there were no more than the 2 tumours. Personally I would ask about the need for one. I had mine on Boxing Day, it isn’t a pleasant experience but it is more thorough than a mammogram.

2 Likes

I will ask tomorrow

Good plan. Let us know how you get on, will be thinking of you x

Will do - thanks for the support , appreciated

Just to clarify, in my case an MRI would not have been needed if I had decided I wanted a mastectomy (because they remove the full breast). I needed the MRI as I was considering the double lumpectomy route so they needed a definitive answer as to whether it would be possible.

1 Like

@llanwinno123
Hi, I was diagnosed with two tumours in same breast, 35mm and 10mm-lymph involvement. Surgeon not concerned. I opted mastectomy.
Post surgery, advised there were three found, 55mm, 10mm and 3mm and positive lymph.
No change because of 3, but because positive lymph and over 5cm, had CT to check for spread and full lymph removal.
What I wish I had known is that goalposts move until surgery can confirm totally. I was completely freaked out at change to size, lymph…
Try keep an open flexible mind til the full picture known would be my piece of advice but two isn’t any worse than one is my experience
Good luck today
Laura

2 Likes

Hi,
I had bilateral er+ BC 13 years ago. I had 2 5cm areas of IDC on 1 side, with lymph nodes positive aswell. The other side had 3 1-2cm areas of DCIS. I had bilateral mastectomy, chemo and radiotherapy. I took the hormone drugs for 10 years. I did have delayed reconstruction. My treatment plan changed a lot as I had a few hiccups along the way, but Im still here 13 yrs later. Im now a volunteer for breast cancer now. You can always talk through anything by calling the Helpline. Our nurses are fantastic. You might benefit from speaking to some one using the Someone Like Me service too. Best Wishes to you. x

3 Likes

Just home from the hospital . I was terrified the appointment would be cancelled as we have had blizzards on and off since last night and the roads to Inverness are difficult in places .
Anyway - the consultant just confirmed that there were two small areas of cancer in my left breast. He advised double lumpectomy followed by radiotherapy. He did say that things could change after the pathology report but both the consultant and the breast care nurse were not overly concerned with there being two areas . Surgery is planned for the 6th February so at least now I have the beginning of a plan. Thank you all so very very much for your support at my darkest times . It certainly is a Rollercoaster of emotions….

2 Likes

Hi
That’s great that now you know your operation date. I wish you all the best for it and hope there are no more changes to the goalpost.
All the waiting and unknowns is the hardest part in the beginning.
We are very lucky to have this group and the support from other people who understand how it all feels.
Just today I had a biopsy of a second lump in the same breast near the scar site (9mm) that I first noticed a month ago, 5 months after my initial lumpectomy. I do think it has increased in size during that time. I should get the results back in 2 weeks and the team will put together a new plan for me. It’s so hard not to worry about it all…
Take care and do some fun things in the next few weeks before the op. X

2 Likes