2008 CALENDAR - URGENT - PLEASE READ

We urgently need more models to make this fund raising calendar possible. If you are interested please send me a private message BY RETURN. A tremendous amount of effort has been put into setting this up and it would be a real shame if it came to nothing. We need a head and shoulders or full length photo as soon as possible but since we cannot exchange email or telephone numbers in this forum perhaps you could also leave a private message for me on the other forum www.breakthrough.org.uk where my user name is skilegs. We really look forward to hearing from you.

hi, i read a bit about this on the younger women section, why is it just for women with prothetsis, think i spelt that wrong! why not for women who have had recons as well? i’d be proud to show mine off, mind you i am a photographer, though i only have limited equipment now, but it can always be leased!

Alison xxx

The idea originally came about because of the number of mastectomy catalogues who use models who have not had a mastectomy. A number of women felt that it needed to be shown that women who have had a mastectomy and not had reconstruction are still attractive, positive women and not to be pitied or treated with horror. Personally I’m starting to feel that people need to become aware that wearing a prosthesis is a positive choice for a lot of women.

Geraldine

But surely a recon is a choice as well, and lets face it, with the amount of scaring i have, and especially with the ld flap, well you have a muscle under your arm, and no bra yet made can make that comfy, well, we have lost our breast as well and i should think we all mourn the same. just seems a tad unfair that its not all women who have had breast cancer, and surely if it was publishised enough, then bra manufacturers might just think to make bra’s that had that little bit extra under either one or the other arm pit or both for bilateral recons. or maybe us recon women should just have our own calender?

Alison

and ps, talking of being treated with horror, my recon resembles cyclops, but i don’t let it worry me

I 'm not disputing anything that you’ve said, however the aim of this calendar (from what I’ve read) was to focus on women who wear a prosthesis and use them as models. It seems to be about presenting women with prostheses in a positive light. I don’t think that’s a bad thing but I do think it’s sad if it is going to be regarded as “unfair” in some way. Totally agree that we’ve all experienced/continue to experience loss, scarring and discomfort.

Geraldine

Just me, thinking that it would have been nice to combine the two, to let everyone see the choices we can make and how positive they are, for all my scarring i really do love my new boob, but i’d love it better if i could get a bra that fitted without leaving a ridge in the very numb area under my arm, maybe next year that could be something we could aim for, a calender for all women with bc, regardless of shape and size.

Alison