3 days after diagnosis, shocked and emotionless...

Hi,

i was diagnosed 3 days ago and have not been able to ‘feel’ anything since. Am just keeping busy, doing jobs that I know will need doing before my surgery on june 1st. i am also still at work, but finding it hard to concentrate. 

This is just not like me, and the opposite of how I thought I would react. I am usually so very emotional about everything and quick to cry but i haven’t even shed a tear. I do feel a bit in denial, maybe when I have my MRI tomorrow and a discussion about the type of surgery I will have on Monday, the flood gates will open. it feels very strange, like i want to have an emotional release but nothing is there.

Anyone else feel like this??

Thanks

Zara x

Hi Zarazee, sorry to hear of your diagnosis. All and any of your feelings are natural and will be volatile for a couple of weeks. It’s still very soon after your diagnosis and it’s life changing news, so allow yourself to work through the emotions as they arrive. I was very anxious early on but coped very well and continued to be able to concentrate at work too. I think I somehow managed to detach myself. I had my first of 8 chemo treatments on 27th April and am finding it much easier than expected. I will have surgery afterwards. I’m 48 and was diagnosed with stage 2 locally advanced invasive BC including local nodes. It does get easier, just give yourself time to absorb everything and focus on getting nice and healthy ready for treatment. Coming on here is really helpful too. Take care. Xx

hi Zara,
Yes, I remember those feelings well when diagnosed just over a year ago.
I remember being at work & having to make a monumental effort to concentrate, whilst still having feelings of a sort of denial & detachment.
It does get better as things fall into place & it is quite alright to have a bad day. It does pass.
Anyway, just had my first year all clear & back to life as normal.
take care
ann x

Hi Zara, yes I do remember being first told it wasBC. I don’t remember getting on a plane to go on holiday, and I don’t remember the first week ! Everyone reacts very differently. I think by compartmentalising your feelings you are protecting yourself until you are able to deal with the situation. You don’t say what your diagnosis is, but be assured that BC is very treatable and has absolutely excellent success rates. This is not a race, it’s  a marathon. You will need strength of mind and body, and as Mai says, start training now. There’s advice on nutrition on here, as well as loads of tips to get you through this. Come on and ask whatever you need to know. Or if you want a good vent you can do that too. Sending you a hug. X

Thanks everyone for your kind words. Detachment is definately how i’ve been dealing with things at the moment.  i ve been told it’s just radiotherapy i will need after the surgery and that it is ‘curable’ so that has helped with me staying positive. 

Not told my 8 year old son yet (I m a single parent) and my parents are on holiday tili next friday and I’m dreading telling them when they return. their devastation is going to be hard to take. 

The way I feel this morning is that it’s my fault i got BC. there’s no family history of any type of cancer (which is remarkable considering i have such a huge family) but i am about 4 stone over weight and probably enjoy too many glasses of wine as well as a lack of exercise. I can’t help feeling that I’ve asked for this as I’ve not looked after my health. 

Zara x

Hi Zara.
Please don’t blame yourself for this. If you read through these forums you’ll find people who drink and people who don’t. People who smoke and people who don’t. People who are overweight and people who aren’t. Cancer doesn’t care who it targets.
Now that you know it’s there, know that you’re on your way to beating it.
Angela. Xxx

Horrible time (diagnosis period) but sending positive vibes to you - i’m currently sat round a pool in the Canaries after being diagnosed with grade 2 IDC in December - mastectomy with implant and now on the mend - only whinge I have now is my Tamoxifen tummy that doesn’t look great in my bikini! ? This forum is brilliant and in the not too distant future you will feel so much better! Adios for now! ?

Hi all

I was diagnosed on Wednesday, feeling much the same. But I am also noticing every ache and pain is this normal? Have an MRI on Wednesday and consultant on 26th moved it from 24th so daughter can attend with me.
My sister lives abroad so will tell her over the weekend. Will then decide with her when to tell dad. It’s going to be tough

• lost mum 8/15 lost husband 12/16 and one of my rescue dogs 3/17. What are your views on it being stress related?
    Thanks in advance for your support xx

hi Olly,
Well, I think most of us go through noticing every ache & pain, but it’s usually the anxiety that’s doing it & it rarely turns out to be anything more than that.
Sorry to hear what you’ve been through, but honestly? who knows what causes it. I think we all go through a stage of ‘is it something I’ve done’ or been through, but it could well have happened anyway.
Everybody from all age groups & lifestyles is represented in a bc diagnosis. There are some statistical correlations, however, just getting older seems to be the top one.
Apparently, statistically, 1 in 2 of us get a cancer diagnosis in our lifetime & if you’re female, for 1 of 8 us, it’s bc.
Our boobs certainly seem to be problematical!
ann x