3 month wait for treatment plan

Hi everyone, I’m 37 and I was referred on the 28th August from my GP due to a suspicious lump.

I was then diagnosed with grade 2 invasive lobular carcinoma and lobular carcinoma in situ hr/pr+ her2- on the 26th Sep 23.

Since then Iv had MRI, mammograms and two biopsies on the opposite breast for a suspected lesion (benign) and now awaiting results for microcalcifications.
And still with no treatment plan in sight.

The waiting is taking a particularly bad toll on my mental health.

Is it normal to have to wait this long? I’m two weeks away from the 90 day deadline to start treatment yet I don’t even have a treatment plan. And I’m guessing there’s waiting times for surgery as well.

Any insight would be much appreciated

1 Like

Hi beckiboo,

Thanks for posting.

It sounds as though this is a difficult time for you and it’s understandable that the wait to receive your treatment plan is taking it’s toll on your mental health.

Lobular breast can sometimes be more difficult to see on a mammogram and ultrasound scan which is why your team have requested you have an MRI scan. Also, in younger women like yourself breast tissue can be dense which can make any changes harder to identify. An MRI scan gives a more accurate picture of your breasts and sometimes, as in your situation will identify other areas which need to be investigated.

Decisions about your treatment plan need to be discussed by your multidisciplinary team (MDT) to ensure you are getting the right treatment for your situation. As you’re experiencing, this can take some time, especially when additional biopsies have been taken. Cancer waiting time targets in relation to treatment are generally started when a treatment plan has been decided. Any delays can add to the anxiety you are already feeling so we would always suggest you speak with your breast care nurse or treatment team about your concerns. If you haven’t already done so, it can be helpful to take someone to appointments with you for support.

We have support specifically tailored for younger women (20-45 years) with breast cancer which you might find helpful. They include face to face and online events and also Speakers Live sessions. There is also The Younger Breast Cancer Network (YBCN) which is a private Facebook group run by young women for young women (20- 45) who’ve had breast cancer.

Talking with another younger woman diagnosed with breast cancer can be helpful. Our Someone Like Me service can match you with a trained volunteer who’s had a similar experience to you. They’ll contact you by phone call or email to answer your questions, offer support or simply listen.

Do call our helpline if you would like to talk this through or have any further questions. The helpline team have time to listen to your concerns, talk things through and signpost you to more support and information. Your call will be confidential, and the number is free from UK landlines and all mobile networks. The number is 0808 800 6000, (Relay UK - prefix 18001).

If you would prefer one of our nurses to call you. To do this, please complete this form ticking the box agreeing to a call back.

Our usual opening hours are Monday to Friday 9am - 4pm and 9am - 1pm on Saturday.

Out of hours you can leave a message and we will call you back when we next open.

Best wishes

Victoria

Breast Care Nurse

Please read the Ask Our Nurses disclaimer Full details on how we collect and use your data can be found in our Privacy Policy

This thread will now be closed from further replies. If you have any additional questions or would like to provide feedback, please start a new thread.