31 with Lump & pressure pain on sternum.

Hi

I am 31 years old and a mother of 2 young children (4 and 18 months). I found a lump in my left breast about 4 months ago. It feels like a tubular shape and is about an inch long. After having what I consider normal lumpy breasts I didn’t think too much about it and just kept a check on it. It hadn’t gone so I finally made the appointment to see my GP last week and she said it is most likely nothing to worry about but will refer me to the breast clinic to put my mind at rest if nothing else. I have an appointment next Monday.

The lump and my breasts themselves are not painful but I have developed what I can only describe as a pressure/pulling pain/sensation in my sternum and ribs when I lie down on my side. I wondered if anyone else had this and whether it could be related to the lump or just something different? I have also developed a small pea sized lump in the middle of the gap between my collarbone, which is very moveable but has not gone away. Also when the GP examined me she said I had a slight inversion on my left nipple. This confused me as I have never had inverted nipples and when I look in the mirror I can’t see it.

I know the odds are in my favour but every so often I think what if I am one of the unlucky ones?

Sorry if this has been a bit rambling!

Pinky
x

Hi Pinky78

Welcome to the forums, I’m sure other users will be along to support you soon.
In the meantime you may find it useful to contact our free helpline on 0808 800 6000, opening hours are Monday to Friday 9.00 – 5.00 and Saturday 9.00 – 2.00

Best wishes
June, moderator

Hi Pinky, just read your post and wondered how you got on? I hope it was good news,
take care
anna

Hi Anna

My appointment is next Monday the 21st. I have my fingers crossed and I am trying not to think about it too much. My mind keeps swinging between its nothing and I definitely have cancer.

x

Appointment at breast clinic tomorrow morning. I have to go straight to radiology so I am assuming they are doing a scan straight away before I see a Dr. Is this normal procedure?

Going on my own as I think it will be a long morning and anyone else sitting around with me will drive me mad!

Good luck to others having their appointments tomorrow too.

x

Hi Pinky78

Good luck for tomorrow.

Love Delorez
xxxx

yes good luck tomorrow. Im not sure if having the scan first means anything, i think they all do things in different orders. I always have my partner with me, even if its just for someone to talk to. i hope it goes well.
take care
anna

Pinky - will be thnking of you this morning and hope all turns out well… as others have said i think different units do things in different orders.

Theresa x

Well I had my appointment and what a waste of time it was. I was made to feel like a complete idiot wasting everyones time. This is what happened:

My appointment letter told me to check in at the X ray department where I would have the ‘appropriate radiological tests before being seen by the Consultant’. So I headed off to there and the receptionist was quite snotty and told me I had no appointment and was to go to the outpatients reception on the address of the letter. I pointed to the section of the letter which clearly told me to go to X ray. She went off and checked with someone and came back and said no they have no record of me. So off I trudge back through the hospital to outpatients. This receptionist told me I did need a scan and so I told her what had happened at X ray. So she checked with another woman who said to just send me to the other wing in the hospital where I will see the consultantl. So off I trudge again back through the hospital to another reception. This time I am in the right place, Hurrah! I get sent to a waiting room and a nurse asks for my letter and my scan images!!! So I explain again what had happened at X ray. She says ok and asks me to take a seat, telling me the Consultant couldn’t get in today but they would ‘see what they could do for me’!

After about 10 minutes I was shown to a room and asked to put a gown on. The nurse prepares a load of bits, I assume for a biopsy and leaves me to wait for the doctor. After another 10 minutes the Dr comes in with a nurse and takes my history. He then asks me to lie down and does literally a 30 second examination in total, of both breasts. No where near the careful meticulous examination I had from my GP. He then declares I just have nodular breast tissue and he can’t feel any lumps but he will send me for a scan in 2 weeks!!!

He leaves the room and the nurse gives me her card in case I have any concerns. I say well yes I have because my GP could feel a definite lump. Her response was ‘well with respect your GP isn’t a breast surgeon’ and to quote 'you are quite skinny so its probably your rib you can feel!!!

I have never felt so small in all my life.

Now I have to wait another 2 weeks for the scan I was told I was having today! I hope they are right and it is nothing but I can’t understand how he can’t feel the lump my GP says its definitely there???

My husband came to collect me and I burst into tears out of pure frustration.

Hi Pinky,

So sorry to hear what you have had to go through. If you need someone to talk to about this please do phone the helpline, they’re here to support you. Lines are open until 5pm to day, calls are free, 0808 800 6000.

Take care,

Kind regards,
Jo, Facilitator

hi, i am so sorry to hear that you had such a bad experience today. I was initially made to feel like i was fussing over nothing, 6 months before i was diagnosed. Dont let them make you feel that way, its your health and your body and make sure you are dealt with appropriately. I believe there are guidelines to say that they should do a triple assessment which involves a thorough examination, imaging and biopsy. Can you go to your gp and express your concerns? Id also maybe contact PALS (patient advice and liason service) i think its awful being treated like that.
take care
anna

Just another update on the hospital’s incompetence. I re- read the appointment letter they gave me yesterday for the scan in two weeks and realised it actually didn’t say anything about going to the X ray department this time. So I called today to double check it was a scan appointment. Guess what - it isn’t! I was given the number to call X ray and the woman there said she will try and get me an appointment but it is doubtful it will be in the next 2 weeks. Great, an even longer wait. I am so disappointed at the level of service.

Pinky i really think you need to give the PALs service a ring at your hospital - they are patient liason and to be honest it sounds as if someone needs a kick up the bum at your unit… please give them a call as you might find they can get you in for your scan if you complain…

Theresa

Hi Pinky

How alwful for you. A big cyber hug coming your way. Ditto all the advice the others have said (I’m a newbie and have’t got as far as the hosp yet), could you ring / go back to your gp? I can’t believe you were treated this way at such an anxious time. I’m absolutley bricking it now a)coz of your experience which I am so glad you shared with us and b)I don’t know the hospital at all I am going to. I think when the snow clears between christmas & Ny I’ll have a run out to the hospital with hubby so we can get a feel for the place.

Big hug

love
Delorez.
xxxx

Thanks for your replies and support ladies.

I think I will give PAL a call and complain. I know I am not in a high risk category with my age etc but I just can’t understand why they didn’t just scan me yesterday as I was led to believe they would from my appointment letter. I now have suffered extra anxiety and stress over something that could have been over yesterday. The ironic thing is I had a choice of 3 hospitals and this one was not the one I chose to be referred to. Unfortunately my GP could not get me seen at the hospital of my choice within 2 weeks so referred me to this one!

I really hope my experience doesn’t put anyone off going to their breast clinic, I have read so many positive posts on here in the last couple of weeks where people have received great treatment. I think that was one of the reasons why I was so shocked at my experience.

Rachel

For anyone who might be interested I now have an appointment for my scan tomorrow. Fingers crossed the surgeon was correct. Either way I am just relieved I will have some answers (or at least a better indication).

R
x

Hi Rachel,

Good luck for tomorrow…I really hope everything goes ok and you don’t have to go through the same fiasco as last time…Big Hugs

Fiona xxx

Hi Rachel,

Fingers crossed everything goes ok for you tomorrow, keep us updated.

Paula x

Thanks ladies and Paula all the best for your appointment tomorrow. (I saw your post on the younger women forum)

xx

Well its good news for me. The Sonographer said I can take it from him its not cancer. My mind was mush, (should have taken someone with me) so I didn’t ask as much as I would have liked. He said something about normal lumpy tissue and then there was a dark oval area where I can feel the lump which he examined in more detail but he said its a milk duct. the rest of the breast tissue was just showing up white/ grey. So anyway I am not sure whether its just a normal nodule or maybe an enlarged milk duct? If such a thing is possible.

Apparently they will write to me with the results so hopefully I will get a better idea.

Its a big relief although he couldn’t understand either why I wasn’t scanned on the day of my first appointment.

Hope those of you waiting get good news too and thank you all very much for your advice and support.

Rachel

xx