4 weeks in

Hi. My name is Janine. I am 38.

I was diagnosed 4 weeks ago with Invasive ductal carcinoma grade 1. PR positive, HER2 negative.

This came as a huge shock as my provisional diagnosis was Fibroadenoma, but a week later i was called back to clinic .

I went on to have a mamogram which showed another potential cancerous area in the same breast. I had another core biopsy which came back as inconclusive. I was then referred to Wythenshaw for a vacuum biopsy and will receive these results on Monday. 

Prior to this i had be led to believe this result would come back positive, which then came back inclonclusive, after my initial results came back as being cancerous after i was told this was Fibroadenoma.


It has all been very confusing,especially as my surgery has been delayed from the 8th to the 15th, and depending on this final result from the vacuum biopsy, will either be a mastectomy or a lumpectomy with radiotherapy. 

I was relieved to have another week to think about all of this, but i wont actually know until 2 days before what procedure i am having.

I have read on here about women who have had to go on and have further lumpectomy’s and patients who say that a mastectomy is best. Its all very confusing. 

Hi jan14

Welcome to the BCC Forum.  As well as the support to be found on here, you might also find it helps to phone our Helpline to talk things over.  They will be able to offer practical information and emotional support.  They are open tomorrow from 10-2 and on weekdays 9-5.  The number is 0808 800 6000

Very best wishes


BCC Moderator

Hi janine, hope all is going ok for u and ur surgery went well. I was offered a lumpectomy but have opted for a double mastectomy as i cant bear the fact another lump might reoccur and i would b constantly checking. Its not for everyone though and i am sure u have made the right decision for u x