40 somethings in similar position?

Yes, I started tamoxifen 3 weeks ago. I had the coil too. I know cysts can be linked to that. I had it removed in Sept after my diagnosis though. I am anxious about it but trying to keep it in perspective xxx

1 Like

Thanks so much for replying. I find it so helpful to hear from people in a similar situation who are close in age to me. How are you finding getting ready for Christmas with the children my two are five( nearly 6) and 8.
I can see how frustrating it must be to have the ovarian cyst at the same time as everything else. It is reassuring that the doctors arenā€™t concerned.
I can also really emphasize with slipping down a Google hole. I know itā€™s such a bad thing to do but sometimes I just canā€™t help it.
It is interesting to hear about your treatment plan. I am pleased to be getting my lumpectomy but very nervous about what the final histology will show. Itā€™s such a ridiculously stressful process. At the moment I sort of feel like Christmas is going on but I am in a horrible parallel universe.

Wishing you all the best for tomorrow. I hope it goes really well and that you have a speedy recovery with quick results that give you the best possible outcome :kissing_heart:

I really found the breast care nurses unbelievably helpful in the days/weeks post op. I am going in again for a check next week to see how far away I am from full healing so I can push the button to get going with radio. Take it as easy as you can. Christmas this year has been 100% online shopping! I am very lucky that my op was a few weeks ago. The good news on your side is honestly, after the first week, the movement in my arm was much better and the pain was getting much less. By Christmas Day I am sure you will still be sore but other than lugging anything heavy around you should be functioning pretty well. Is someone else doing the cooking this year? Xxx

Thatā€™s good to know about recovery. They said to expect my arm to be more painful probably worse than the breast area. I just want the results from the lumpectomy to be ok. The uncertainty and waiting around is so hard. I havenā€™t been back to work since the diagnosis. I teach so it is quite full on. However I do think so much time on my own with my thoughts really isnā€™t great for me.

1 Like

I know exactly what you mean. Sending you lots of love and best wishes. Hope you can find some nice distractions as you recover :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

Iā€™ve finally got my treatment plan and will start chemo in two weeks. Iā€™m so glad for this thread of ā€˜you getā€™ women as going to the oncology department today for the first time I was the youngest by about 30 years! I felt very out of place.
Iā€™ve still not told my 5 year old so if anyone has any tips on how to approach this please do share. I have the ā€˜mummy has a lumpā€™ book which I might use but I think itā€™s more the treatment and side effects like hair loss etc. and how to explain that.

2 Likes

I have only told my boys ( one will be six next mont and the other is 8) that I needed to have a little lump taken out at the hospital and that I will have to have some strong medicine after Christmas. I didnā€™t go into more detail because I am waiting for biopsy results following surgery so I donā€™t know what treatment will be yet. I find it so hard to wait for results. Was there plenty of time to ask questions at your oncology appointment?

1 Like

Loads of time. They were incredibly kind and approachable. I think I was in with the Dr and nurse for almost an hour. They go through everything with you in detail and it feels really personal. I feel so much happier since meeting with them today. Iā€™m just now in a bit of limbo waiting for a start date. Again!!

1 Like

I am finding it so hard to wait for the results of the lumpectomy and setibal node biopsy. This still feels like an awful dream to me. It was not what I envisaged when I turned 42.

1 Like

Hi eb13

Have they told you how long results will be? Mine took 4 weeks but it seems to be so different dependant on where you live. I do hope they wonā€™t take too long but try to stay positive and enjoy Christmas with your children.

Take care
Jackie xx

I am supposed to meet with the consultant next Friday so I am kind of hoping to get the results then. Although if itā€™s bad news I am not sure how I will get through Christmas. I donā€™t think I will be able to see the oncologist until the New Year.

I know exactly how youā€™re feeling I go for my results on the 20th, I had to have a full axillary clearance 3 weeks ago and Iā€™ve had to wait 4 weeks again for these results. I just have to try and stay positive and think they are trying to get a clear picture to give me the best treatments

Take care
Jackie xx

1 Like

How everyone doing? I realise sone time has passed and treatments and plans will have moved on for everyone.

Iā€™m now day 4 post first round of Chemo and Iā€™m just about doing ok. Feel like Iā€™ve got a touch of the flu and donā€™t really fancy eating but apart from that I canā€™t really complain! (For now!)

Hi there, Iā€™m 46 and was diagnosed with primary ductal breast cancer (grade 2) in Nov. Had a lumpectomy and axillary clearance done on 28 Nov, and last Tues had second op as they needed to take a little bit more from one area of the margin that wasnā€™t clear. This second op has left me feeling a bit all over the place again (emotionally) and I feel like Iā€™m in limbo until my post op appt. I hope youā€™re having a good day today :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I am glad your feeling ok with chemo and I hope that the symptoms youā€™re experiencing pass quickly. It sounds like youā€™re keeping really positive.

I can understand how you are feeling. I had my lumpectomy and SNB in December. However I had to push for an oncotype test and an now waiting for this to come back in order to confirm the treatment plan. I find all of the waiting so so hard.

1 Like

Hi everyone :wave: I can see this discussion board has been quiet for a little while now - but hoping some of you may still be active here.

Iā€™ve been reading many of your stories over the last few days and am wishing you all positive recoveries :purple_heart:

Iā€™m looking to connect with women like me: Iā€™m 41 and recently diagnosed for the first time after first noticing symptoms in early January this year. I also have two young children, 5 & 8.

Last week it was confirmed I have Grade 1 IBC, Low Grade DCIS and told due to my tumourā€™s size I will need a single mastectomy.

It is ā€˜longā€™ in shape and showing as a terrifying 6cm on MRI. Mammogram and USS originally put it between 4cm - 5cm.

My lymph nodes look clear on both USS and MRI, and no other malignant areas have been found. While I appreciate - all things considered - this is a ā€˜positiveā€™ diagnosis due to likely grade, etc, I am struggling with dark thoughts. (Worries about it being so big, fears the grade will be worst / nodes positive once they take it out / examine it - but most of all leaving my kids who I love so much without a mother.)

Iā€™ve been told I will likely ā€˜justā€™ need to go on Tamoxifen following surgery, but chemo / radiation hasnā€™t been altogether ruled out until the tumour histology.

Iā€™m also angry, as I had a private mammogram 9/10 months ago as part of a work health screening which came back as normal.

My medical team have told me it would have been there then but likely not detectable as mammograms canā€™t pick up malignancy in young, dense breasts - and it feels as though the lack of appropriate testing for young / younger women is just not a priority.

I am having a reconstruction - likely using my own tissue - in around 6-8 weeks time and have my first surgical appointment in 10 days.

I know thereā€™s nothing anyone can say to make it better but Iā€™m feeling very alone. I was in complete shock for the first few days and am now pretty up and down, if carrying on with life as normal, working and caring for the kids.

My husband and I have decided not to tell the children until I go into hospital to spare them extra anxiety.

Hope to speak to some of you soon :sparkling_heart:

2 Likes

So sorry to hear your news. Iā€™m new to this forum aswell and in a similar position to you. Iā€™m 44 with a 4 & 8 year old. I was diagnosed in Jan with high grade DCIS and Grade II IDC, ER+ HER2-. Mastectomy on left (no reconstruction) & lumpectomy/mammoplasty on right. Surgery booked for 1 weeks time, further treatment maybe needed but no one will know until after surgery. The waiting is so hard! My breast care team have been wonderful and the Macmillan team have been invaluable with the constant mental struggle. Have you accessed any Mental health help? There are so many women on this forum who are going through the same thing which is sad but comforting to know youā€™re not alone. Itā€™s okay to feel overwhelmed, angry, sad. I flip between them all daily at the moment. Try not to worry about the what ifs (which is ridiculously difficult to do I know. :slight_smile:). Focus on the now. Once the plans in place, hopefully that will help.

Sending hugs & best wishes.

2 Likes

Good luck to you with all of this. So sorry for the bumpy road ahead and the stress of it all. I really hope you take some comfort in knowing that, whilst none of us can ā€˜fix thisā€™, you are not on your own with it.

I had a lumpectomy in late October and we didnā€™t tell the kids (11, 10 and 6 at that point) til much before the op (similar to you). They will cope though, and so will you :kissing_heart:

I understand the fear over the size but it is positive that the doctors hope your cancer is a lower grade. The scans can be inaccurate either way obviously - mine was initially measured at 11mm (on ultrasound, like you didnā€™t show up on mammogram!), then 22mm on MRI. The post-op pathology showed it to be 15 IBC and 43mm DCIS which hadnā€™t been seen at all to that point! I am amazed I had any boob left :see_no_evil:

Hope you are doing what you can to take care of yourself and distract yourself as much as possible. I found camomile tea, baths and walking listening to podcasts helped a little. Hopefully your kids will keep you busy enough :grin:

Lots of love and healthy vibes to you. Xxx

2 Likes

Hi everyone, Iā€™m glad i found this thread, Iā€™m 41 with a 3y/o, diagnosed in January. Iā€™ve been diagnosed with grade 2, Er+ve HER2 -ve cancer 25mm on mammogram. I dont know anything about my treatment plan yet as i need an mri which is next week. Everything seems to be taking ages.

Iā€™ve been following a few of the threads on here because i feel a little forgotten by my cancer team, i havenā€™t seen anyone since my biopsy, everythingā€™s been on the phone and even when Iā€™ve rung in i dont think anyone has asked how i am. Iā€™m glad others are getting better experiences. Im lucky to have a good support network but no-one who really knows what Iā€™m going through.
@KJN Iā€™m having exactly the same fears as you, i know treatment is great now but even when im having a good day and feel i can get through this i have a fear of reoccurrence. Im really trying to take one day at a time but its not easy.
Xxx

1 Like