5 Days from doctors appointment to breast clinic very worried

I went to the doctors with a lump under my arm pit…it feels about the size of a walnut and I was literally rushed to reception with an appointment for the breast clinic and the next thing I was sat in my car sobbing. Im at the clinic tomorrow and am literally scared to death. My sister has a mastectomy 4 years ago and I now feel i’ve got cancer with the speed of the appointment…what should I expect Im 43…

Hi michelle667

Firstly welcome to the forums, I’m sorry to read you’re having such a worrying and anxious time at the moment.  Whilst you are waiting for the other users to reply with their support you might find it helpful to talk things through with a member of staff on the BCC helpline.  Here you can share your thoughts and feelings with someone who will offer you a listening ear as well as emotional support and practical information.  The number to call is 0808 800 6000 and lines are open weekdays 9 to 5pm and Saturday 10 to 2pm.

Best wishes Sam, BCC Facilitator 

Hi Michelle667,
Just saw your post…and felt for you on Sunday eve…it’s very hard when you are in the position where you waiting for tests and then results.
It’s good that you are getting it checked out and that they referred you quickly. As I understand it NHS aims for referrals from GP to tests to take less than 2 weeks so while it seems your GP is concerned to get it checked soon and 5 days may feel rapid it’s within the usual time frames.
Appreciate your concern too given your comments about your sisters diagnosis. Re what to expect, from others experiences on the forum different hospitals tend to vary slightly re how many tests they carry out initially. At the hospital I went to I had a brief conversation with the consultant to check details etc, mammogram (if you are worried it may be painful tell the radiographer…mine was really sweet and did it on the gentlest settings), for me, given they saw a dark mass (which can be fatty necrosis or bc) they then did a scan, and since they were concerned about the mass they then carried out a core needle biopsy guided by the scan. If you want to see the tv monitors (appreciate some people may want to and others may not) they will usually let you see. After that I went back to the consultants room, they explained they were sat on the fence, which did give me a bit of warning that it may not be the best news the following week, and would only be able to inform me in a weeks time when they had the results back.
As I’m sure you are aware most lumps aren’t cancer…if they do identify b cancer the consultants will rapidly create a treatment plan.
I’m now much further along this journey…just gone back to work the other side…
Hopefully you won’t be joining our forum club…but if you do need to.there are many women on this website who can and will give support, advice, listen to concerns and share humour along the journey.
I really hope your referral tests go as well as possible.
Seabreeze x

Thanks for you reply and advice. I’m trying to keep positive and will take the days as they come. I realise worrying won’t help. I’ve not told anyone yet even my family as I don’t Want to worry anyone unnecessarily. I have breast implants too so am worried about a mammogram. . I’ll let you know how my appointment goes today. Thanks again for your replies. I appreciate it so much…its lovely to know someone is here to listen and advise. X

Michelle667,
Hope the appointment went okay and that if you are waiting for results it’s not too long a wait. It’s a strange time.
Seabreeze