5 weeks post chemo

Diagnosed in Late December Er+ Her- IDC with micropapillary characteristics. Mastectomy Feb, chemo EC x 3 Docetaxol x3 finished 21st June. Started radiotherapy (3 sessions of 15 so far) About 2 weeks after last chemo (which completely wiped me out) I started getting muscle pains, as if I’d done a mammoth gym session cramps and weakness. I have barely been able to walk, but have pushed through but still struggling with aches and wheezing/breathlessness on exertion (had some pneumonitis with Dox -prescribed salbutamol)
Just want to check if this is normal and just down to residual chemotherapy? I’m drinking lots of water and trying to do some exercise each day but it’s hard.

Hi jooliepie30

Thank you for posting.

It sounds like you have had a difficult time since finishing your chemotherapy.

It is not unusual to experience muscle and joint pain as a side effect of docetaxel, however as you are also experiencing breathlessness and wheezing it is important to be assessed as soon as possible. Shortness of breath can have many causes so do contact your breast care nurse, GP or treatment team to explain your breathing symptoms and that the pain you are experiencing is having a significant impact on your quality of life. They can review you thoroughly and advise you if any further investigations or treatments are required.

We offer a range of free supportive services for anyone who has had a diagnosis of breast cancer which you may be interested in. They include face to face and online courses and events.

We also provide an online peer-to-peer support forum. The forums are message boards where people affected by breast cancer and breast health concerns can learn from other people’s experiences and share their own if they wish to.

You can read the forums without registering. If you would like to join a discussion or start your own, you can use this link to register.

For more details about all of these services, please see the information on the link, or call our free helpline if you would like to talk this through or have any further questions. The helpline team have time to listen, talk things through and signpost you to more support and information if necessary. Your call will be confidential, and the number is free from UK landlines and all mobile networks. The number is 0808 800 6000, (Relay UK - prefix 18001).

If you would prefer one of our nurses to call you. To do this complete this form ticking the box agreeing to a call back.

Our usual opening hours are Monday to Friday 9am - 4pm and 9am - 1pm on Saturday.

Out of hours you can leave a message and we will call you back when we next open.

Best wishes

Katy

Breast Care Nurse

Please read the Ask Our Nurses disclaimer Full details on how we collect and use your data can be found in our Privacy Policy

As we are unable to monitor for further replies, this thread will now be closed. If you have any additional questions or would like to provide feedback, please start a new thread, call our helpline, email us or request a call back.