7 days to go to my op!!

I was diagnosed with breast cancer two weeks ago. I found a lump just before Christmas and saw the doctor the week after, everything has happened at high speed since then! On the 7th Feb (all being well) I am to have a radical mastectomy.

The op itself doesn’t worry me too much but the thought of chemo or whatever else I have to have afterwards is the bit I am worried about!

Hello CarolR

Welcome to the forums. I’m sorry to hear of your diagnosis, the first few weeks are always difficult when coming to terms with your treatment plans, etc.

As well as the support you will receive on the forums you might find it helpful to order the BCC resources pack. It has been specifically designed for those newly diagnosed and contains information to help you understand your diagnosis, test results and the various treatments available. If you would like to order a copy just follow the link bellow:-

www2.breastcancercare.org.uk/pub … cer-bcc145

You may also like to give the free helpline a ring, they are there to offer support and information. The number is 0808 800 6000 and lines are open 9-5 Monday to Friday and 9-2 Saturday.

Best wishes
June, moderator

Thank you June, I will have a look at that link. I am hoping by reading and contacting the people on this website it will help me get through. I am a strong person but sometimes do need a little moral support!

Hi CarolR, i’m in a similar situation to yourself although I’m having my lump, surrounding tissue and some lymph nodes removed next Monday 6th Feb. Like you the op doesn’t bother me - I’m petrified of the results afterwards incase I get told it has spread - all I know at the minute is I have grade 3 so still don’t know stage etc. I’m new to this forum today but its lovely to read and receive so many positive comments - hope all goes well on the 7th and I will be thinking of you. Take care.

Hi Carol

I’m another one in a similar situation. I noticed changes just before Christmas, had the usual doctor and hospital appts and as a result was diagnosed with grade 3 breast cancer last Friday. I’m having a mastectomy and lymph node clearance on 13 Feb. I’m also having a CT scan this Friday to check for spread but won’t get the results until the day of surgery. At the moment it’s the possible results of the CT Scan that are scaring me most. I’ve been told to expect chemo followed by radiotherapy after the op.

I’ve had stacks of helpful and kind responses to my posts on this Forum and found the helpline great too. So I think we are all in the right place for support.

Hi Knoxybabes and Historygirl, sorry to hear you are both in the “same boat” as me. I too am stage 3 and have to have lymph nodes removed. I have decided not to go for a reconstruction at this time but may do so later!!

Good luck to you both and I will look out for you on here to see how you get on.
Carol

Hi Guys
I had a right mastectomy with sentinel node biopsy on Dec 28th no lymph nodes removed at the time. I have to go back in 2 days time 2nd Feb to have my lymph nodes removed as at follow up I was told they had found evidence of cells in them and they are grade 3. I am prepared for the op this time and I know I will need chemo, no one has mentioned scans yet , but yes they are a scary thought as you have no idea what they will show and I just want to be able to focus on what the treatment plan will involve and to know the extent of the cancer, there is just so much waiting. Good luck with your ops.

Hi ladies,

I was diagnosed with grade 3 breast cancer on 6th Oct. I had a sentinel lymph node biopsy on 12th Oct. which came back showing some spread to lymph nodes. I then had CT scan MRI and bone scan. That was a terrible time of waiting (about 2 weeks) but thankully they came back clear. Started chemo (six sessions of FEC-T) on 24th November and am having the fourth one tomorrow. They are hoping this will shrink my tumour before they operate. I am to have a full MX with reconstruction at the same time. It seems like a long time since my diagnosis, nearly 4 months now, and I’m getting fed up and looking forward to getting the MX over and done with. But just wanted to say please don’t worry about the chemo. I know it affects everyone differently, but I found it much better than I had expected and you will get great support from reading the other ladies’ posts on this forum.
Just look at it as lovely, strong stuff that will kill off all cancer cells and you will emerge strong and ready to pick up your lives and carry on, with added experience to help others along the way.
God bless.
Love, Mx

I hadn’t thought of it like that Mabeline, I like how you say it is just lovely strong stuff to kill the cancer cells! Yes, that is how I will try and see it if I have to go down that route. Thank you xx

Good luck for the 7th Carol. Come back and let us know how it went. Hopefully by then I’ll have a date for mine!
We’ll be thinking of you.
Mxxx

Had my pre-op assessment this morning and all looks ok. I did go and have a word with my cancer nurse as wasn’t sure whether to buy a suitable bra or not. Decided not to as I hate wearing one anyway and she said the drain may be a problem if I did wear one!

Just got a few more days to wait and then D-day (or b day). Thanks for all your support on here. I will keep popping in now and then as I can’t seem to settle to anything in the house or on TV at the moment!
Carol

Morning,
I so hope your op goes well. I had bilateral mastectomies with axillary clearance and truely was surprised by the lack of discomfort the next day. A couple of panadol and some anti inflammatories was all I needed.
If you look at the “Having Chemotherapy in August” postings you will find a list of things that you may need in hospital.
On page 117 or 177 - my brain has gone, but it is one of them.
Best wishes and big hug
Cackles
It is 177 it takes a time to get back to it but it may be worth the bother

Just wanted to pop in and wish you all luck for your ops. I had a mx with immediate LD recon followed by chemo and rads, but that was almost 9 years ago now! You will get through this. Best wishes to you all, Angelfalls xx

Thanks Cackles for that info on the posting, I found it eventually lol!! I have some new night shirts as recommended by the cancer nurse (had to go buy some as I don’t wear anything normally ; ) don’t think that would go down well in hospital either).

I did see the note about a pillow to sleep with as you are on your back, this may be a problem for me as I also have sleep apnoea and have to use a machine when I am sleeping. If I sleep on my back it tends to make “farting” noises if air escapes. The other patients will probably think it’s me ; ) but never mind, needs must!

Feeling positive now but do get very weepy at times as I have read others do too. Meeting my eldest daughter tomorrow and her family for lunch so hope I can keep the weeping under control as my grandsons don’t know about my cancer and we feel they would get too upset if they did. They are only 6 & 11 so we will see how it goes. That is if it doesn’t snow which I am dreading!!!

Angelfalls - thank you for your message, all these kind thoughts really help especially as you have all been through the same sort of thing before!

I was very wary of telling people at first and only told a few friends and family. I have had all sorts of mixed reactions some people are upset and others very blase about it (probably don’t know what to say) so try to put on a brave front for me. It really does help me to come on here and “talk” to you all. Thank you all for caring and good luck to all those going in for ops and chemo etc., Carol xxxxxxx

Hi Carol - hope the Op went well and you are home with your feet up now. I had lump and lymph nodes removed last Tuesday (7th) and already typing away at the keyboard.

Don’t worry about the tears - they are normally apparently, otherwise I am a mad woman with leaky eyes. I think the stress and emotions are better out than in.

Take Care
Angie

Hi everyone, I am back home and yes, typing on the computer but only for a few minutes a day as I find it too tiring!!

Had the op on the 7th and they said they have “cut it all out”, but waiting for results on the 29th Feb to see what happens next! I have been incredibly tired and had a really bad weekend with pain due to the drain being rejected by my body. If I had only known that at the time it would have helped me get through the weekend. Had the drain removed on Monday morning and it was such a relief when it was taken out and I didn’t have to carry the bottle with me all the time! I think I went through 3 full bottles and when I got to the hospital the drain was leaking. I was soaked through to my knickers and even my shoes had some on them : ( Not a good look for suede, drops of red liquid on them!

My only problem now (well the only one bothering me at the moment), is the fluid remaining in my body, I seem to have quite a bit floating around in my chest? I do feel very tired a lot of the time and fatigue sets in where I can’t do anything which I find difficult. Luckily my husband has been rallying around doing everything (well almost everything) that I normally do and has even taken up cooking although he has a problem with the timings!!

I am sure I will get there eventually, and I did meet a lovely lady in the hospital having some lymph nodes removed. She had the same op as me (mx) 15 years ago so was very supportive. Strangers are a wonderful help when they have been through this or similar already!! She telephoned me today to see how I was and we are hoping to meet up on the 29th Feb when her appointment is just after mine. So a new friend has been made out of this terrible time.

Thank you all for your thoughts.
Angie, I do hope you are feeling much better now. I haven’t had tears but nearly did a few times - I am usually a softie so expected some. Maybe they will come later.

Thanks again.
Carol xxxxx