Advice on what to expect

Hi all

I am new to this site and looking for a bit of advice regarding my mum. She has had breast cancer twice, once in each breast, firstly a grade one then a two.

She had her yearly mamogram and has been called back because an area of the right breast needs further investigation by means of further mamogram and small biopsy under local anesthetic.

I’m keeping positive for her but equally trying to find out what to possibly expect . I have been google crazy but it is confusing and upsetting me.

Has anyone experienced this before? I’ve been reading terms such a secondary cancer and reoccurance. Is there a chance she could be clear and what should I be preparing for.

Just want to b strong for her so anyone who has advice or good places to look for info please get in touch. Thanks

Hi Puffin10

Welcome the BCC discussion forums.  I am sorry to read about you’re concerns for your mum, sometimes googling can increase the worry.  Hopefully some of the other users will be a long shortly to share their experiences and knowledge.

In the mean time you might find it helpful to talk things through with a member of staff on the BCC helpline.

Here you can share your concers with someone who will offer you a listening ear as well as emotional support and practical information.  The number to call is 0808 800 6000 and the lines are open 9 to 5pm Monday and Saturday 10 to 2pm.

Best wishes Sam, BCC Facilitator 

Dear Puffin

I’m so sorry you and your mum are having this worry again. As I understand it, secondary cancer has spread outside the breast to other parts of the body i.e. bones, liver, lungs or brain. A recurrence is simply that, the original cancer in that breast has returned in the same breast. Having said that, she may have developed a non cancerous condition that can easily be treated. Hopefully, it is the latter and not one of the former. One piece of advice - DON’T GOOGLE - I know it’s difficult, but a lot of what is out there is either out of date, or incorrect. This site and the Macmillan site are the best to stick with. Maybe you could repost in this section:

forum.breastcancercare.org.uk/t5/Local-recurrence-or-new-primary/bd-p/4433

where you might get more replies.

Wishing you both well

poemsgalore. xx