Advice please!

I am newly diagnosed and am scheduled for surgery 9th April. I have been told I may need a full mastectomy of my right breast, I asked about immediate reconstruction and I had no idea how long an operation it is! 6 hrs…

I have a heart condition and am not sure I should even be thinking about it, could anyone give me some advice?
How painful is it? Whats the recovery like? Where do they take the muscle from?

Thank you

A very confused Sue

it is a long operation depending on if you have an implant or skin taken from your back or abdomen, i had my recostruction 3 weeks ago using skin and meat from my stomach, it took 8 hours, talk over the various options with yor surgeon who will be able to advize you on the best one for you because of your condition, wotever one you have, you will be fine, any thing else ican help you with dont hesitate to say, xxx

I waited 4 and a half years before going for reconstruction but everyone is different. It is a big op. My sister had hers immediately so I know both sides of the story. I had mine done on my right boob last november and have just had my left one reduced and lifted on monday. Feeling fantastic.

Dear Sue

Welcome to the forums, I am sorry to read of your recent diagnosis. I am sure that you will continue to receive lots of support and information from your fellow forum members. I also wanted to let you know that Breast Cancer Care have published a Resource Pack, it has been designed for anyone newly diagnosed with information to help you better understand your diagnosis, test results and various treatments, it is available via the following link or by contacting the helpline:

breastcancercare.org.uk//content.php?page_id=7514

I have also added a link to our breast reconstruction booklet which you may find useful too:

breastcancercare.org.uk//docs/breast_reconstruction_dec06_web_0.pdf

You may find our helpline useful to call during this time, they can talk to you about our other support services and also offer support and a ‘listening ear’. The number to call is 0808 800 6000 Monday - Friday, 9am - 5pm, Saturday, 9am - 2pm. I hope you find this helpful.

Best wishes
Lucy

Hi Sue

As you have a heart condition the kind of recon you have will depend on what the surgeons are willing to do. I had an immediate recon done in 2006 it was a DIEP and for that they don’t take any muscle only fat from the tummy. It took 6 1/2 hours but you don’t know it’s that long you’re asleep! I just felt it was a bit uncomfortable not painful, they give you a morphine pump. I took 3 months off work but I was fully ok by 6 weeks I just felt I needed the time to get over the cancer dx. It’s something I have never regreted having done.
Hope all goes well for you.

Hi Sue

I’m booked in for the 18th March for a mascectomy on my right side with immediate recon from my stomach (DIEP). I was going to opt for the muscle on my back but the surgeon took one look at my size and suggested diep! I understand your reservations especially with your heart condition.I just echo what has been said already about getting mdical advice as it will help with your decision. It’s a long op but for self esteem you’ll feel better. My surgeon seemed to be rather enthusiastic about lifting my left boob and nipple reconstruction-but one thing at a time.

I have found my thoughts are more about the recon than the cancer -don’t know if that’s good but hey!! One bit of advice-ask as many questions as you can and even ask for pictures of patients,I found it really helpful and surprised how good the finished results can be!!

If you like I’ll bookmark this thread and I’ll let you know about my op afterwards.But I have noticed everyone is different so one op is not the same as another.

jen x