Advice re. mum's mastectomy

Hi ladies, I hope somebody can give me a bit of advice on this. My mum was diagnosed with grade 1 BC last Friday, and has opted for a mastectomy and SLNB (for reasons I won’t go into here), and there are one or two things bothering me. I did not have a mastectomy, so I am hoping someone who has can help me. My mum is 73, and besides her arthritis, she is otherwise in good health, so do you think that she will make a good recovery from what is obviously major surgery? Also, she has been told that, depending on when she has her op, she may only have to stay for one night, or may even come home the same day! Is this normal? Or do you think she should be in for longer than that? Surely she shouldn’t come home until her drain is removed? All this is really beginning to worry me, and as I can’t draw on my own experiences, I was hoping that you lovely ladies on here could help me. Thank you in advance.

I’m only 37 but was home 2 days after my MX, both drains were removed b4 i came home although i was told that i could have come home with them! Recover was good, just rest lots. Sure your mum will be ok x

Thank you so much for your advice, Charlotte. I feel much more reassured now. Take care xxx

my friends aunt was in her seventies when she had breast surgery. No one knows quite what she had because she is a bit private, but she came home the next day with her drain still in and was looking after herself.

that was 10 years ago, there has been nor rucrrence and she is still fighting fit.

Hello there, I came home about 36 hours after my MX. The drains were out by then - the reasons to stay in a bit included seeing the physio, and getting the first soft prosthesis fitted. My MX op was much less demanding than my WLE and axillary clearance physically that is - but getting used to my new body shape took quite some time and was pretty upsetting. MAke sure your Mum takes some loose bras or sloggi type tops or camisoles in in case she wants to wear her prosthesis home - and a safety pin as they move about - I didn’t cos I was too sore from previous op to wear a bra,
bw Nicola

Thank you so much for your advice, ladies. I really do appreciate it. I feel much better equipped now to help her, so hopefully she won’t have to wait too long for her surgery (booked for the 16th if a surgeon is available. Take care xx

Hi Lyn, my fit and healthy mum aged 73 refused mx and had a big WLE with node clearance. She stayed in overnight, and was ok but it took her several weeks to recover fully. I’m also fit and healthy and 49, and had bilateral mx without node clearance. I stayed in for 2 nights and struggled for a few days afterwards. Everyone’s different, but I think the important thing is to see how you feel and to stay in if you’re not that great - sometimes they try to push you out to free up beds.
The surgery is not minor, but it is doable you just have to be very kind to yourself and not overdo it.
Lots of love to you and your mum - I’m glad she’s got you to look after her!
xx

Thank you so much, bubbletrouble, for taking the time to reply. I feel much better about it all now. Just waiting for confirmation of her op date now! Take care xx

Hi Lyn
My Mum is 79 and had a Mastectomy and then a further op 2 weeks later to have her nodes out. She had the mastectomy at 4.30pm and was out of hospital the following day at 9a.m. along with a drain. The drain stayed in for 6 days and she was visited at home daily by the district nurse who measured the output of the drain and checked Mums wounds, this happened after her second op too. My Mum is very, very independent so I had a tough job stopping her from over doing things (in fact I caught her about to wash her windows a week after the op!) and I made sure she went to bed (reluctantly on her part)for a siesta for the week following both ops - I also made sure she ate a healthy diet rich in fresh fruit and veg, also I had to nag her (poor Mum) to drink lots and lots of fluid -it has taken a good few weeks but recently she has really gained in strength and stamina and is now off on her hols - I am so proud of her.
I can fully understand your concern and worry but I imagine your Mum will amaze you just like mine has.
Wishing all the very best to you Lyn and your Mum.
Esbee x

Thank you, Esbee, I am so glad your mum has recovered so well from her op. She sounds very much like mine- very determined! Her osteoarthritis stops her from getting around too much without assistance, but as I said before, other than that she is in good health. She has a grade 1, but we don’t know any more details, apart from the fact that it is very small, and the prognosis is good.

Thank you, ladies, for taking the time to reply with such fantastic advice. It really is very much appreciated. I wish you all well xx

Hi Lyn,
I had a mx 10 weeks ago (aged 41, so a bit younger than your mum) and made sure before the op i did a bit of ‘pre-hab’. I made sure I drank plenty of fluids in the days leading up to the surgery to ensure I was as hydrated as possible, plus I drank plenty of fruit smoothies to which I added protein powder - I believe that you need plenty of protein to help the body repair itself and recover.
Upon coming around following the surgery I went into ‘fluid’ mode and drank at least 2 litres whilst in hospital (keeps dehydration headaches at bay) and was discharged the following day (remebering to ask for the ‘softie’ prosthetic to take home), drains came home with me for the daily district nurse visit to check that eveything was ok. Drains came out after 5 days.

I can recommend button front loose fitting nighties and oversized button through shirts as arm movement may be restricted. I also found sleeping with a soft ‘teddy’ for a few nights on my chest not only provided a bit of ‘cuddly comfort’ but kept the weight of the duvet from the surgery site too(bit like a tent effect).

For my second op (node clearance) I was determined on not staying in overnight and got the ward to page the doctors and physio to see me that day, so I could go home to ‘my’ bed - and I did.

I felt fine 3 weeks later and ‘over-did’ things in the garden which set me back a couple of weeks, so plenty of rest and gentle exercises as recommended by the physio and not to do too much too soon.
I hope your mum’s surgery goes well.
Bev x

Hello ladies,

this post has helped me so i say a big thankyou…
im going in on friday for a right mx and full clearance, my surgeon has told me i will be coming home the same day and if i do have a drain (he tends not to use them) it will be taken out before i go home,

im so scared but it has to be done

love and hugs

Donna
xx

Hi Donna,
I wish you the very best of luck for your op, it is only natural to be scared.

I personally was fine until about an hour before going to theatre, where I had a bit of a wobble at the hospital, but you’re right, it needs to be done, keep on top of the painkillers they will give you, it is easier to manage any pain with drugs already in your system than waiting for them to ‘kick in’. Keep on top of the exercises the physio gives you, it really does help in the long run.

I was scared at the prospect of losing a boob and what I would look like and how sore I would be, but then thoughts of what life would’ve been like if the ‘squatter’ had lain undetected and it doesn’t bear thinking about and then I couldn’t wait to get it out.

I also found baby wipes and aqueous cream very useful post op (quite cooling) as my skin was hyper-sensitive and I couldn’t stand touching my skin on my ‘bad’ arm.

Again, I hope it goes well and keep us updated as to how you get on.
Sending you a big hug for Fri and I’ll be thinking of you.
Bev x.