After axillary clearance

Hi lovely ladies,
I had my axillary clearance last Tuesday. Obvious and expected issues have been soreness and stiffness. Anyway, I’ve been doing the exercises and despite finding them easy last time, they’ve been difficult but they are getting easier.

I wondered if it is normal for the site to be quite swollen still? Around the armpit wound along to the chest above my left breast, is hard swelling. It isnt like fluid…seems solid. Is this normal? I thought it might be a seroma but there’s no sloshing. I also wondered how soon people lifted their arms above shoulder height?

I’m finding the Easter holidays hard work with three kids to entertain and not being able to drive post-surgery. This swelling is not helping. I know I’m doing too much and not resting enough but it’s so hard with the kids at home.

I hope this is the last surgery and that they got clear margins this time.

2 Likes

Gosh managing 3 kids during school holidays so close after an op must be exhausting and very hard not to overdo it .Might be worth checking with your BCN about the “hardness “ around your incision just to re-assure you this is normal part of healing ? Hope things ease soon for you and you are less restricted and hoping you get positive news with your results

1 Like

Hi @Jill1998, thank you for your reply. Yes it is hard with the kids over the holiday. My younger 2 squabbled all day yesterday and I ended up sat in the playground shivering in the rain for 2 hours just to get them out!
I took your advice and rang nurse. I got a different one and she was a bit cold. She said that of course its going to be swollen. I will keep an eye on it. I guess it’s still very early days. I think the pain is reducing though and its getting easier to move it.
Thanks and hope you’re well. X

1 Like

Hi bluesatsuma

Hope you’re doing okay today. As you know I had a swelling after my axillary clearance which came up after a week.

I rang my BCN who advised me to go in and have it checked out.
If I was you and you can get there I’d call them again and ask, as you don’t want to be stuck over the long bank holiday weekend.

The recovery and exercises were definitely a longer recovery than the initial op, just persevere with
the exercises, they do get easier.

Sending hugs
J xx

1 Like

Hi @bluesatsuma, I had my axillary clearance 4 weeks ago and had something v similar to what you describe - more hardness than swelling near to the wound, which felt tight at times. I showed my team and they weren’t concerned and it has now begun to soften. Of course important to check with your team and get their view, but just wanted to let you know my experience for reassurance.

I am also apprehensive about Easter with the kids at home (only 2 for me!) - fortunately we will be away for a week of it. You’ve only just had surgery so make sure you are kind to yourself as much as possible - if that means extra screen time/treats that you might not allow that’s totally fine! I was quite sore for about 2 weeks but started to improve after that xxx

Ps have you had your drain out yet? Mine felt better and had better mobility after that as well

2 Likes

Hi @sap1981 and @chillout365. Thanks for your replies. Ive felt quite sore today but took of one of the dressings (the cavity shave one) and it looks like its healing well. I plan to leave the axillary clearance one on until friday. I didn’t have a drain @sap1981. Maybe the swelling is all fluid left inside? I’ve tried to gently massage it. I see now that it is a very different operation to the sentinel lymph node biopsy. I need to be patient. Hopefully by next week I will be more comfortable. @chillout365 I will ring nurses then if I still feel worried.
@sap1981 I hope the easter holiday goes okay with the kids x
Thanks both x

1 Like

Hi bluesatsuma

Have you got your results this week, wishing you well if you haven’t had them yet.

J xx

Next Monday. Thanks for thinking of me though @chillout365. I’m so anxious about it x

I’ll keep my fingers crossed for you, it is the worst time waiting for the results as you already no only to well.

Take care
Xx

1 Like