Airports and prosthesis

Hi, so I’m wondering about traveling through an airport with my prosthesis. I had a single mastectomy at beginning of February. After waiting to heal and having to go twice to get a fitting. I’m currently trying out a trulife tri-leisureform sponge with a weight inside which is metal.
We have just booked a holiday to Palma Spain. So I’m worried I’ll set the alarms off going through security. How has other peoples experience been going through airports?

Hi

I’m not in your situation as I had a double lumpectomy so don’t have a prosthesis. I hope some other lovely lady will be able to answer your question.

You could also speak to the BCN nurses who should be able to give you advice.

• Helpline: 0808 800 6000 (Mon-Fri 9am-4pm; Sat 9am-1pm). Speak to our trained helpline team. No questions are too big or too small.
  • Ask Our Nurses: You can message our nurses here on the forum, or confidentially. Whatever you prefer.

I hope you have a wonderful holiday.

Take care :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

Hello!

I’ve flown loads since my mastectomy in January 2021 - once the world opened up that is! And flew to/from Malaga last week.

Though I not been to Palma since then, no one knows. With your metal weight, I suspect it’ll just ping like a wired bra, a new hip, new knee etc etc etc

I am always making the machines goes ping - because of the above. A quick pat down by female security people has never shown any reaction from them when feeling around my 40D silicon prosthetic bra area.

Enjoy your holiday. Just go careful in the sun in chest area if you’ve had radiotherapy. You are much more likely to burn.

AnGELa x

1 Like

Hi.
Not so much alarms, but the search itself, if you are subject to one of those. We are hoping to go away next year and I know the US do like to frisk passengers, more than search.

1 Like

I have just returned from a holiday in Egypt and had no issues with scanners. I was given a pat down search by a female security officer on my return journey with no issues. Go and enjoy your holiday x

1 Like

I have been away twice since my mastectomy once to USA and both times ok
I was patted down too and no issues arose if you are asked to show something ask to be taken to a private room I’m sure they’ll oblige
Enjoy your break

1 Like

The important thing to note is if you are asked you have the ability to ask to go into a booth or private room. While I am not in the same situation airports are trying to rush you through and if they want to do a search you have the right in any airport to request a private space.
Enjoy your holiday x

1 Like

Thanks everyone for responds. Thats put my mind at ease. Looking forward to my holiday.

1 Like

Hi, just to say. Made it through airport without any problems. Didnt set alarms off or have to be asked about it. I have started wearing my memory foam prosthesis so no metal in there to set anything off anyway. ( Not that, that is the reason. Was more comfortable)

1 Like

Have a wonderful holiday :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Hello all, just wondering how soon you can travel after surgery?

I would suggest that you speak to your team or breast care nurse as it will depend on the surgery you have had and how you are healing.