Allergic reaction

I’m just coming on to say I am a bit gutted as I went for my first Taxotere today, waited 2 hours for the drugs to be made up and then 5 mins into treatment had an allergic reaction (flushing, tight chest and my kidneys hurting) so it was all stopped and I was filled up with steroids.

I had taken my pre-treatment steroids to avoid this, so it seems they did not work. I really wanted this treatment as I have been told it is ‘Domestos for cancer’.

Has anyone else had this problem, and were they able to go on to have a modified treatment of Taxotere, perhaps a different brand or with different steroids? I am seeing my oncologist on Monday to discuss but I would love to share with anyone who has been through this. I feel so disappointed and a bit of a failure.

Hi flyright

I am sorry to read that you have had such a difficult day and if you feel that it would help to talk it through with one of our helpliners please feel free to call on 0808 800 6000. The helpline team are either breast care nurses or people who have had personal experience of breast cancer and are able to offer you support and information.

The helpline is open Mon-Fri 9am-5pm and Sat 9am-2pm.

Just to let you know that I have removed your other post from the ‘Have I got breast cancer’ forum as realised you had posted it there in error, hope you don’t mind.

Best wishes
Lucy
Breast Cancer Care

Hi there
I am sorry that happened to you, it hasnt actually happened to me but it did happen to a girl in the day unit having her chemo the same time as myself, they have changed her treatment and she is making good progress, hope this helps a little
Good Luck and let us know how you get on
love galen x

Thank you both, yes I will call the helpline tomorrow. Galen, the nurse said it was quite common so I suppose I am just one of the lucky ones. Thanks for your support.