Aloe Vera

I am concerned by the recent press reports that state that Aloe Vera is on the WHO list of possible carcinogens to humans.

I have finished all my treatment and am trying to use natural products so was shocked to hear that aloe vera may not be good to use. From my understanding it’s only the Aloe vera whole leaf extract that is a problem.

I use the YES vaginal moisturiser for menopause dryness, not cancer related, and it contains Aloe vera leaf juice which I think is ok but is is so hard to find information about the actual Aloe vera used. Do you think I can assume that the formulations are safe because they are organic.

Any info would be helpful.

Hi Valerie 

Thank you for posting. 

It’s natural to have concerns when you read press reports, but we are unsure what the source of this information is after searching the WHO website for more information.  

Many people ask about vitamin and herb supplements such as Aloe Vera as they want to do as much as possible to be healthy. There is often the belief that vitamins and herbs are safe as they are considered natural but there is much we don’t know about supplements and herbal remedies.  Herbal treatments don’t have to comply with the same regulations or rigorous testing that conventional medicines do and for many products there is a lack of research to support their use.   

It is difficult to answer your specific concern regarding the vaginal moisturiser you use. These products are used by many women to manage side effects of treatment such as vaginal dryness.  Sometimes it can be helpful to consider the benefits and how stopping something may impact your quality of life. Adapting tolife after treatment can be difficult and often the need for information and support continues. Do call us on the helpline  if you would like to talk this through. 

You can search this American website, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Centre, for information about individual herbs and vitamins. Each has sections on existing evidence and what known interaction there is with other medications. You may find that that some herbs have different names in America. You can also search herbal products and supplements on the European website Complementary and Alternative Medicine for cancer

Should you not already know about the support we offer, we have a range of free supportive services that you might be interested in.  

We are currently evaluating this service and would appreciate your feedback. Please click here to the survey. It should take approximately 10 minutes to complete.  

As mentioned above you can call our helpline if you would like to talk this through or have any further questions. The helpline team have time to listen to your concerns, talk things through and signpost you to more support and information. Your call will be confidential, and the number is free from UK landlines and all mobile networks. The number is 0808 800 6000, (Relay UK -prefix 18001). 

If you would prefer one of our nurses to call you. To do this, please complete this form t** icking the box agreeing to a call back.** 

Our usual opening hours are Monday to Friday 9am - 4pm and 9am -1pm on Saturday.  

Out of hours you can leave a message and we will call you back when we next open.  

Best wishes 

Eve  

Breast Care Nurse 

Please read the Ask Our Nurses disclaimer  Full details on how we collect and use your data can be found in our Privacy Policy  

This thread will now be closed from further replies. If you have any additional questions or would like to provide feedback, please start a new thread.