Also waiting for results

Hello everyone,

It’s my first day on this website and gosh i can not believe the support you all give each other.

I have a lump on my right breast and went to my GP last Tuesday, she faxed over a piece of paper to our local hospital requesting a mammogram and told me that that i would receive an appointment within 2 weeks, last Friday i received the appointment which was yesterday (Wednesday) of course a little worried/scared i arrived taking along my partner with me.

Mammogram was done and the nurse said to take a seat not to get dress until she return, she returned and said that they was going to do an ultrasound so we walked down to another room and i had the ultrasound which she said that she could see a small area and would need to do a cell removal at this point i was not really listening to what she was saying i was just talking away about how i did the 60 mile breast cancer walk last Oct in Tampa Florida with 5 of my friends. i was scared and just did not know at this point what was going on, and when i scared i just talk talk talk.

Well anyway after she did the cell removal she told me that she was going to use a little thicker needle to do a biopsy, and again i now just hoping this is all a bad dream and i will wake up in the morning next to the man i love.

After everything was finished i was told that i needed to go up stairs to talk with the doctor.

Doctor talked to me a little about family history and what i had just had done, and said he need to examine me, after he examined me we return into the other room and he said that it did not look good and that he wanted me to return next Thursday for the lab results to confirm everything. Then asked me if i had any questions, i could not think of one question i was so shocked my mind just went blank.

So now I’m so scared and just don’t know what to think about any of it. I guess what i would like to know is, when i left the hospital i felt like the Doctor already has told me that yes he believes i have cancer and the lab results is to confirm what type it is, am i just crazy…

Hi Trace

Welcome to the Breast Cancer Care discussion forums where I am sure you receive valuable support and information from your fellow forum users whilst you are waiting for your results.

Please also feel free to contact our confidential helpline on 0808 800 6000 for further support and information which is open Monday to Friday 9am-5pm and Saturday 9am-2pm.

Best wishes

Lucy
Breast Cancer Care

Hi Trace

This is a horrible horrible time for you - the waiting is the worst. my story unfortunately is very like yours - as in i went to first appointment , they did everything to me that they did to you and told me they were pretty sure it was cancer and to come back the following week. I truly truly will keep everything crossed for you that your story is a happy one and you dont have to join us on the crazy roller coaster ride.

My friends told me to try to keep positive that week but that is very hard to to and I am sure you will have many sleepless nights to come. Not knowing is the worst for sure.

Please keep us posted and take care in the meantime.

Sending positive vibes and hugs
Fiona
x

HI TRACE,

WELCOME !!! SUCH A GREAT WEB SITE… I WAS DIAGNOSED 8 YEARS AGO … I WAS LUCKY TO GET MY RESULTS IMMEDIATELY AFTER THE NEEDLE BIOPSY…DONT KNOW HOW OR WHY AFTER READING EVERYONES EXPERIENCES… I WAS LEFT IN THE WAITING ROOM TILL LAST, THEN CALLED BACK IN… I HAD LUMPECTOMY CHEMO AND RADIOTHERAPY… AT 1ST I WAS REFUSING CHEMO, IT REALLY WAS NOT AS BAD AS I THOUGHT AND EACH TIME IT AFECTED ME DIFFERENTLY… I HAD A GRADE 3 WHICH IS AGGRESIVE… BUT HEY HO IM HERE AND DOING VERY WELL… THINK POSITIVE AND WE WILL ALL HELP EACH OTHER…WISH I HAD THIS WEB SITE WHEN I WAS DIAGNOSED, THERES ALWAYS A FRIEND TO HELP, LISTEN AND TO UNDERSTAND HOW YOU REALLY FEEL… TAKE CARE, GOOD LUCK AND KEEP US POSTED TO LET US KNOW HOW YOU ARE. BLESS YOU LOVE LUCKYSTAR JXXX

Hello Trace
So sorry you’re having to join us at all, but glad you’ve found your way here. As you’ve already worked out, you’ll get lots of support here and hopefully some light relief at times. The waiting is hell - you poor thing. we all find our own ways of coping, some of us just find something else altogether to take our minds off it, some of us worry ourselves into a complete state, but then there are no surprises. You do whatever you think will work for you. I’m so glad your partner came along to the appointment - will he be there for you again next week? I’ve always found it helpful to have someone with me who could tell me afterwards what was said - i could only ever take in so much.
Come back and chat whenever you want. I’m keeping my fingers crossed for you.
Sarah
XXX

Hello Trace Just wanted to say that I, among many many others, will be thinking of you. The not knowing really is the worse - it is such limbo and you don’t know what to feel or think or say to anyone. Once you know for sure what you are facing, and even more important, how it will be treated, it will in some strange way be easier to deal with. You will get lots of support here and at the hospital, and you will get through this time. I have really found that it has helped me to write everything down and put all my feelings and thoughts on paper, it seems to have “unjumbled” me a bit during this waiting time. Good luck. Penny

Hi Trace,
This is my first time commenting on this website, although I must say that over the last few weeks I have found the advice, banter and support shown between other members really comforting and invaluable.

I have very recently had a similar referral experience to the one you describe. The waiting game is horrendous! I found it useful to be as practical as possible and prepared a huge list of questions for the hospital on my return appointment. Concentrating on my lists gave me a focus - particularly for the quiet times when you are left alone to worry! And the sense that I was doing something practical to help myself made me feel more in control of the situation. It also ensures that you are well prepared in advance and don’t miss anything whatever the results are!!

I sincerely hope that this horrible waiting time has a happy ending for you - good luck!
Kez x

Hi Trace

This time last year I was in exactly the same postion as you. I had to wait nearly 2 hours after core biopsy to see the consultant and there were women sitting there reading and knitting!!! I couldn’t understand how they could be so calm but, a year on, I am the one knitting. The waiting is awful. I had to wait 2 weeks for the results. I floated around in a haze of diazepam for 3 days then though " bugger it. I am going away in the caravan ". I had a lovely weekend with my family despite the stress and everything seemed to slow into slow motion over the next weeks. I felt as though I was living someone else’s life.

Unfortunately it was cancer and it was 2cm grade 2. But, because there was no spread anywhere and my lymph nodes were clear, I didn’t need chemo just a lumpectomy and radiotherapy and I am now on Tamoxifen for 5 years. A year down the line, I am now thinking " Is that it? How could I have such a serious illness last year and be NED ( that’s No Evidence of Disease ) this year". I now have yearly mammograms and 6 monthly check ups and I am very well.

The reason I am telling you this is that, everyone assumes that cancer means chemo and a shortened life span and this is not always the case. Even people with breast cancer sometimes assume that everyone has chemo.

I don’t want to give you false hope because your experience was identical to mine. I didn’t even know what they were doing when I was called in for scan and biopsy as I had had a cancellation appointment and didn’t get the info booklet until the next day. But there again, I was told that it was a 70% chance it was cancer so there is always that 30%, for me, that it wasn’t

I will be thinking of you and keeping my fingers crossed for good news.

Hugs and kissses

Debbie

Hi Trace,

I am at the same stage as you at present. Today is the earliest I can hope to hear the results of the biopsies. The hospital said they will phone me when they get the results. I won’t have anyone with me that I can confide in…

I’m at work hoping that will take my mind off things. I work in a centre for people with mental health problems so I do listen to everyone else’s worries most of the day. Most of the time I listen and give advice but this week has been hard listening to other people’s troubles and trying not to think how minor they are. My mantra is “if it is important to him then I must take it seriously”.

I’ve started a quilt - it is bright pink on navy blue and I’m calling it “my quilt of hope”. Not only is pink the breast cancer colour but also the corporate colour for my employer.

Patch

Hi Trace

Waiting for results really is the most awful time. I can remember how scared I was, but somehow I got through it with the help of my partner.

I had two large lumps in left breast and the radiologist was so obviously concerned when he saw the mammogram that he slotted me in immediately for ultrasound biopsies - I too felt like this must be a bad dream. I was especially shocked as I’d seen a (semi-retired) NHS consultant 5 weeks previously who told me he was sure it was just a natural thickening of the breast tissue and told me not to worry. He took a needle biopsy there and then (although only of one of the lumps) and results came back as benign. I did find, though, that the waiting for results after seeing the radiologist gave me time to prepare myself for what I was 99% sure was going to be bad news.

I found that going outside for walks really helped to take my mind off things for a while. I’d also recommend that you take someone along with you for the diagnosis - it’s really hard to take everything in when so worried and anxious - in hindsight I only heard half of what was said, my partner had to fill me in on all the bits I missed or misheard.

I really hope it will be good news for you. Remember you’re not alone - we’re all here rooting for you.

Nicola xxx

Hello everyone,

I can not beleive how many comments I have received. Thank you, all so much for your letters, Its so sad how many women are going though this.

I just got back from a weekend away visiting my sister she just brought a house and got engaged which was really happy news. I had so much fun visiting with her. I’ve been trying to keep my mind busy, so I’m not sat around thinking about Thursday.

All your comments have been very comforting I feel very lucky. I will let you all know what happens on Thursday.

Thank you all again and I will keep you all in my prays.

Trace xxx

Hi Trace,

Just want to wish you “Good Luck” on Thursday. I will be thinking of you.
I have just had a WLE and SNB with blue dye. The waiting for the initial diagnosis was by far the worst time for me. I felt much more settled once I knew.
I am off for my results this afternoon, so I hope it goes ok.

Good luck hon and let us all know how you get on.

Love and hugs.
Dyzee. X

Hi Trace

Wanted to wish you good luck for Thursday and will be thinking of you too. The waiting game is the worst part I think, as the uncertainty is awful and then if like me, mind goes into overdrive. Once I had been dx and the treatment started, I was more in control then and able to continue life as normal as possible, as knew we were fighting back and zapping the b*******s as much as we can. I have one more chemo to go on Wednesday and I have to say, at the start, it seemed so far away and so frightening, but I have made it through, with the help of my OH and my two little babies who are nearly 4 (2 weeks time) and my little boy who was 1 last week.

You will get so much support on here and it will help you, these websites have been my lifeline and helped me through some dark days, and the ladies are wonderful.

Let us know how you get on and keeping everything crossed for you.

Take care
Love
Dawn
x