Alternative therapy help

I had surgery for invasive breast cancer grade 2 ER+3 on the 14th August, three lymph nodes were taken and I have 11/2 breasts now, I’m awaiting the results, hopefully in two weeks time. I’m prepared to have radiotherapy and if necassery chemo, but I have made it quite clear, I do not want hormone treatment. I am postmenapausal, age 62, suffer from artherities and at the moment in remission from fibromalgia, I don’t want a flare up off that.

I’ve researched into many of the alternatives and at the moment I’ve started taking Ashwagandha 600mg, one a day. I’ve always taken cod liver oil 1000mg one a day and vit c 250, one a day. I don’t eat dairy, smoke or drink, but I do lead an active life, walking miles, cycling and dancing modern jive.

I react badly to a number of drugs I’ve been given in the past, so know that my body will not do well on what they want to offer me.

I need to know what people are taking and what sort of results they have had, including side affects.

Would really appreciate some help please.

Hello Pinklily,

I see you are ER3, has hormone treatment been discussed with and recommended to you yet or were you being preemptive?

If not already, I would have a discussion with Oncologist about it and look at the pros and cons for you in detail before making a final decision.
If you are looking at natural methods, I heard flax seed could have an effect but I would check the detail/any reliable research on that.

I take Anastrazole and the worst side effects were leg and body cramps which eased with taking Calcium supplements (but think it was more due to the magnesium element.)

I am at the moment somewhat debilitated with pain and mobility issues on my right side that are currently under investigation. However I do not think Anastrazole to be the culprit and have continued to take them like a good ?. I was ER8 so thought it important I tolerate them as much as able. Of couse my breaking point will be if my hair starts falling out in large amounts!

All the best Pinklily, X ?

Hi,

I had mastectomy in 2008 and then a axilla dissections following a recurrence in 2014. Grade 3.  Had chemo following the surgery and it was horrendous.  Now I’m considered in remission because all the blood test tumour markers are OK.  However I did a lot of research from reliable publications, such as clinical trials and oncolog journals, to embark on a personal journey to do all I can to prevent another recurrence.  

My 3 main supplements for anti cancer is a very high dose curcumin with bioperine, Longvida curcumin which is a very good modified and enhanced curcumin product, sulphorafane (Broccomax) + Trans reverastrol, all very high dose. These three supplements have been scientifically proven to have anti cancer ability.  So far I do not have any side effect.  I started with low dose and built up to a high dose.  I also take high dose Vit D3 to help the immune system, Beta carotene, calcium, Omega 3, Vit C, probiotics, and also other supplements. I’m sure there are many other good supplements.  Previously I took many supplements but I have cut down to the essentials to suit me.  

I don’t eat anything with sugar and use xylitol as sugar substitute, no dairy, no meat.  Eat mostly organic, occasional organic eggs for protein, plant protein powder, lots of nuts, vegetables and fruits. Non farmed fish once in a long while.  No biscuits, cakes, buttery snacks. I feel very good.

i also go and pay to have a CTC (circulating tumour cell) test, which count how many cancer cells in your blood, even though you do not have any symptom or diagnosed with cancers.  The test is not available in the UK or NHS.  The blood sample is sent to a German lab.  The result last year showed that I still have cancer cells in my blood and it is low, this year’s test show the same result. I’m hoping to keep it under control and repeat the test yearly.

i hope the above give helps.  It is my personal choice really, every one is different, but I have read so many research papers that helped me to make this choice.  

Wish you luck and keep well

Hi
Apologies for being pedantic, however it’s complementary therapy, not alternative.
Alternative would suggest you would take the one route, rather then complementing medical care with complementary therapies and remedies.

Hi, thank you for your post. Who do you go to for your CTC test ?

Hi Pinklilly
I have the same quandary, I had BC 31 years ago, was put on Tamoxifen but after 6 months I really couldn’t take anymore. My survival rate was 82 5% with or 82% without. I took my chances and came off it. Roll on today and I have a new primary in same breast, so far got lucky again, not spread and in for mastectomy on the 25th. I don’t think this is because lack of Tamoxifen. My mother had Bc twice and was on Tamoxifen for years, she also developed cancer in the uterus. So my way of thinking, I am 67, do I need to take a drug which will be a problem in its self. I am also into natural remedies and researching the way forward. For me I think my quality of life is my priority. You just do what you think is best for you, good luck in the way forward x