Am I mad to want chemo

6 weeks ago diagnosed with high grade DCIS 7cm. Told I had to have Mastectomy. Was offered reconstruction surgery from the start. Had my Mastectomy with sentninal node biopsy 4 weeks ago. Inserted a saline breast expander. On table node results found no Cancer cells but Pathology did so had to go back last week for Axilla node clearance. Now waiting for results from this surgery. At this stage do you think they will want me to have chemo. I in my own mind feel as if i want it, an insurance policy, is this mad or is this normal.
Madge

Hello madgemb

Welcome to our forums, this must be a very worrying time for you. You have come to the right place for support as our experienced users have a wealth of experience between them.
You may find it helpful to talk things through with a member of our helpline staff who are there to offer support and practical information. The free phone number is 0808 800 600 and the lines are open Monday to Friday 9.00 to 5.00 and Saturday 9.00 to 2.00.

Best wishes
June, moderator

I think when we are diagnosed we just want to have everything there is just to get rid! I too had DCIS and a year on did not have chemo but I do think sometimes is it just hiding somewhere and how do I know it has gone?

Have faith in the doctors and science and as time goes on and the treatment is taken the fear subsides a little and rational thinking comes back.

recently on a 6 month check there was a scare but the doctors ordered an ultrasound on the scar and found scar tissue and nothing more - the doc said it was but he wanted to besure - this puts our mind at rest that everything is being done for us.

I am determined to acknowledge my good health and allay my fears as i am in control and not cancer.

wishing you good luck and al the very best of health.
Delphine xx