Am I normal?! ha ha

Hello

DX 21st Dec 04 (Happy Christmas!!) ILC- chemo/ mast/rads 05. prophylactic mast with tissue expanders followed by exchange surgery 06 1 year op/treatment free so I should be getting back on top (up beat throughout treatments) Tamoxifen until last Nov now on Arimidex so… why is it catching up now? I get so tired (and emotional) I do work full time {12hr} shifts which cant help. Anyone else out there feeling the same? Rosemary : (

Hi.
This is the first time I have joined one of these, but I logged on because I was feeling the same as your question - am I normal. Not quite as far down the road as you, Diagnosed last March, Chemo, Mastectomy and rads which finished in January. All the way through the treatment I managed to stay positive, tired, yes, but positive - but now, oh boy!!! Wake up some days and just want to cry because I can’t handle what the day has in store. Feel angry (with myself), feel frustrated (because I can’t get on with my life) but mostly feel confused because I don’t know how I’m supposed to feel. A friend whose mother and husband have both had cancer treatment told me that it’s probably because, while the treatment is going on, you have something to aim for and landmarks to pass, then suddenly you’re out there on your own thinking ‘OK then, how do I live my life?’ and no-one can tell you.
Can’t wave a magic wand and give you energy, but do understand - if it helps?

Hi girls

I am 2 years from treatment and believe me it does get better. I too was frustrated and tired, and with the tiredness comes emotion, so I think that the answer is that we have to be kind to ourselves. I once was told by another friend who had had a very strong chemo regime that it was 2 years before her energy levels came back, I was shocked, but I now know that she was right. The chemo drugs are very strong, as they have to be, and they take a time to get out of our system, but I am telling you both that it DOES come back, just take a rest if your body tells you its had enough, and try to enjoy your time when you are feeling stronger. I started walking and now can go out with the dogs for over 4 hours and am still up for more when I get home, but initially I was only doing 1/2 hour. Don’t forget the body has had one hell of a battering and needs kindness.

Much love Debbie x

Hi rosieposie and Soprano

As Debbie has said you are not alone in how you are feeling, I thought you may find of interest Breast Cancer Care’s peer support service, our Peer Support telephone service aims to quickly put you in touch with one of our trained peer supporters, who has had a personal experience of breast cancer. Our peer supporters are from diverse backgrounds and ages and have experienced different types of breast cancer and treatments. They are ready to listen, offer skilled emotional support and share their experiences and understanding For more information about this and our other support services available to you, please telephone our helpline on 0808 800 6000 (Mon-Fri 9am-5pm and Sat 9am-2pm) or email: <script type=“text/javascript”>eval(unescape(‘%64%6f%63%75%6d%65%6e%74%2e%77%72%69%74%65%28%27%3c%61%20%68%72%65%66%3d%22%6d%61%69%6c%74%6f%3a%69%6e%66%6f%40%62%72%65%61%73%74%63%61%6e%63%65%72%63%61%72%65%2e%6f%72%67%2e%75%6b%22%3e%69%6e%66%6f%40%62%72%65%61%73%74%63%61%6e%63%65%72%63%61%72%65%2e%6f%72%67%2e%75%6b%3c%2f%61%3e%27%29%3b’))</script>

Best wishes
Katie

Hi
I feel exactly the same as you all describe. I was dignosed in 06 and had FEC x 6, surgery then radiotherapy x 20, now on Arimidex. I am now exactly one year post radiotherapy and I am so tired. I am back at work as near full time as I can manage but when I get home I just sit down and sleep. I feel that I am making myself go out and about in the evenings trying to get back to “normal” whatever that is. Some days I am just so miserable and fed up thinking is this the best I am going to be ??
I do try to stay positive and I know that all my family and friends think I am wonderful and look so well - hair back etc but it’s not easy some days.
Take care
Suzieb

You know it does help to know that the way I feel is normal, and that others suffer too - in other words I’m not totally losing the plot!
I have started to be a bit more honest about how I’m feeling - never mind stick on a smile and say ‘I’m fine thank you for asking’ - if I feel rubbish then I tell people close to me, and it does help because they take some of the responsibility away from me, then I have less to cope with. It still feels like I’m being pathetic because I was always the strong one, the fixer, the one who got on with it - but LancsLass is right (good old northern common sense!!!) we have to be kind to ourselves, and also let others be kind to us.
Looking forward to better days.
Rosieposie - hope this is helping you???
Solidarity hugs all round. XXX

Hi ladies,

it’s 18mths since I finished treatment - surgery, chemo rads - and it was on Saturday at a party for my friend’s daughters communion when I looked in the mirror and thought ‘my God I’m back, I look like the me post dx’

There’s an article by Dr.Peter Harvey call ‘after the treatment has finished’ - just google it - it is so worth a read, when I read it I thought that is EXACTLY how I feel so I printed it of and handed it to family and have a copy on my fridge.

Angie