Anastrozole 5yrs on

Hi all

2015 I was diagnosed with BC.  2016 I was prescribed Anastrozole.  After about 6 months I had horrible side effects and went back to Oncology and explained it.  I was given I think 6 weeks off and it was amazing.  No more aching and painful joints, no more falling asleep and fatigue and didn’t feel I was walking on glass.  I was put back on it and OK for about 8 months and things started to creep back.  Banging headaches.  Stiff joints mainly in hands.  Fatigue.  Memory problems, very emotional cry at drop of a hat.  Terrible hot flushes and I can’t seem to cool down permanently hot. Anxiety really bad.  I put this down to menopause.  I had a catastrophic meltdown Xmas 2020 and was feeling suicidal.  I spoke to Samaritans and then got myself a therapist it was so bad.  I explained that the menopause was ruining my life.  Last week I don’t know why I read side effects of Anastrozole and thought what the hell… I’ve got these in addition to inflamed lady bits now.  I also read that I’m post menopausal as my last period was about 2010 or 2011.  I cannot concentrate my head is a shed and as I write this I am boiling hot.  I called my hospital and got in for 23 September to see an oncologist.  I am 5yrs in of 10yrs.  My social. Life has virtually gone due to anxiety.  I go out on the cuff if I feel OK.  My mental health is bad and never ever had a problem before.  I am torn between is it anastrozole, or is anastrozole exacerbating menopause symptoms or a combination.  All I know is I need help.  Does anyone have similar problems because I can’t go on like this.  I’m 56 and desperate and frightened

I have had chemotherapy then radiotherapy and double mastectomy.  Then on anastrozole 

Hi @Muddypaws , sorry to read you are going through a difficult time.

You did well to speak to the Samaritans, and to speak to a therapist. It is a good idea to get things off one’s chest, and chatting things through to professionals is a good way of doing that… as is connecting to people on forums like this one.

If you wished to speak to one of our team of breast care nurses, you can reach us on freephone 0808 800 6000 (Mon-Fri 9am-4pm; Sat 9am-1pm) - we’ll always be happy to chat things through, at your own pace.

Sending our warmest thoughts

Bernard

@Muddypaws  - I’m not on Anastrozole, though due to change to it this autumn, so I’m not sure I can help but I wanted to send you a hug and echo Bernard’s lovely message. Keep chatting on here or to the nurses until you have your appointment in September, when you can tell your oncologist exactly how you are feeling. I’ve seen other posts saying similar things so you are very much not alone in how you are feeling - you might want to search the forum to find others going through the same (let us know if you need any help navigating the forum). I really hope you can get an answer and solution to your issues. Big hugs, Evie xx