Anastrozole and sleep problems

Hi all

I am 3 months into taking anastrozole for 5 years and my sleep is getting worse. Initially the only side effect I got from hormone therapy was itchy hives which are managed by antihistamines. 
I struggle to fall asleep even though I go to bed when I’m tired and then have a disrupted night. Occasionally I wake because I’m hot but usually I just wake. 
Any advice? 
Thank you

Annie 

Hi Annie, 

sorry, no advice that works, just wanted to say you’re not on your own.

i go to bed at 11, fall straight asleep for an hour, then wide awake until 4.00. Then up at 7 to start a stressful job at 8.00. I’m seriously considering stopping Anastrozole, I can’t afford to stop work yet and it’s getting harder and harder to keep going. All the other side effects seem so much worse when your so tired too.

i did ask for some help at the breast clinic and was told to sniff lavender oil. Hmm, told them I was swimming in the stuff and it doesn’t work!

take care

Sally

I started Anastrozole in April and my sleep is very erratic. I seem to sleep in 2 - 3 hour chunks.

I listen to Podcasts when I wake up, just put one ear bud in, lie on my side and that usually sends me back to sleep. I try to choose quite boring podcasts. Occasionally I wake up and just know it’s going to be one of those nights where I’m not going to sleep.

Im a teacher so have very busy, stressful days. 

Dear Annie,

I’m sorry to hear that you are experiencing sleep disturbances as a side effect of your hormone therapy. Have you discussed this issue with your healthcare provider? They may be able to provide specific recommendations or adjust your medication regimen to alleviate these symptoms.

In addition, you may want to consider trying natural remedies such as hemp gummies for sleep or melatonin gummies, both of which have been shown to promote restful sleep. Other tips for improving sleep hygiene include creating a relaxing bedtime routine, avoiding caffeine and electronics before bedtime, and keeping your bedroom cool and dark.

I hope these suggestions are helpful for you. Please don’t hesitate to reach out to your healthcare provider if you continue to experience sleep difficulties.

Hi Annie63 

That must be really difficult. I’m just wondering what time of day you’re taking your Anastrozole whether it might be worth you trying to take it at a different time of day . At one point I was suffering with terrible hot flushes in the evening and started taking Anastrozole at night which worked - I had far fewer flushes at any time of the day and rarely at night but I also had joint pains and the payback was that my back was very stiff in the mornings .

I suffer from sleep apnoea and I was advised not to eat or have any caffeine after 6.30 pm as this not only affects your ability to get to sleep but changes the amount of time you spend in different stages of sleep . It’s not always possible for me to follow these rules due to shift work but I’ve heard reports of  other people who are on Anastrozole saying that they feel better in general if they eat less in the evening . 

There’s a possibility it might settle down as you’ve only been on it 3 months - maybe your BCN might have some advice.

Hope things improve for you  x