Androgen Receptor / Abiraterone Trial

Hi - Just wondering if anyone out there is involved with this trial? It is looking at TNBC with secondaries and the responce to Abiraterone to block the Androgen Receptor (if you have it!). I had a phone call last week to say I do have the Receptor and am goinjg to the Marsden in Sutton on Firday for more tests. Just wanted to chat to anyone who is already involved with this trial??

Thank you very much

Sadie Xx Xx

Hi Sadie,

I had clinic appointment at Sutton Marsden yesterday and at the end of it the onc asked if I would be interested and give permission for them to take a bit of my tissue they have stored.

This trial is called Phase I/II study of abiraterone in ER or AR positive bc

If they find that my breast cancer is AR+ then in future herceptin stops working for me I can be given Abiraterone and it is a much gentler treatment than the harsher type of chemos I would need (bearing in mind I have also had a lot of different ones). It sounds like a win win to me. I told him they were welcome to any amount of my tissue they have stored :slight_smile:

So it sounds like there are several strands to these trials involving abiraterone. I am not triple neg so obviously different bit of the trial to you if I am AR+.

Dawn
xx

Hi. I think it is the same trial, but i did not quite describe it right. Ive done a bit more reaearch since posting. As you say, sounds like a win win!! So, hope you are AR positive too!!

Hugs

Sadie Xx Xx

Hi. Just wanted to bump this for sunday!! The Marsden are v excited to find someone with the Androgen Receptor to trial the hormone therapy Abiraterone on. I think about 25-30 % of us are AR Receptor positive. They tested mine using a sample from the origional breast surgery (kept in hospital for years!). So there must be others out there who have secondary bc, (sorry, not brain mets), are over 45, post menopausal and had a few chemos - nd are willing to try something else for 8 weeks. The drug has been LOTS in prostate cancer nd some ER positive cancers so is not new - just a new way of using it!

I start on Tuesday! Pm me if you’d like any more info.

Hugs

Sadie Xx Xx

Hi Sadie
I’m going to ask my onc on Wednesday to check this out for me. As you know I am a chemo wimp so anything gentler has got to be good. Maybe could go for tests after I have done the Cap.
xxx

HI Sadie,

I heard today that I am also AR+. I am not going to be given the drug at this stage as herceptin is still working well for me. But gosh it does feel good to know that if anything else kicks off - I have another drug I can be given that is not as unpleasant as chemo. How are you getting on with it Sadie :). What reaction did you get from your onc Tara?
Dawn
xx