Another newbie I am in France

I hope you have some support where you are ? I’m not surprised you are struggling on your course it will be hard to concentrate right now especially when you have the added difficulty of translating from a different language . I had radiotherapy to the right side the 5 treatments themselves were easy and I drove myself to and from them about 40 mins journey . They played music to me too which I enjoyed - different everyday and I couldn’t always identify it . I had some fatigue which developed about 3 days later - so if you’re on your own stock up with food first barely got out of bed for 3 days. My breast was red and slightly swollen for some time but eventually settled with intensive moisturising and a very supportive bra - it’s tempting to go into a crop top but try to stick with a supportive one . The skin that side looks a little different to the good side but not much. Like you - all of us really I was concerned about side effects but 2 years plus down the line haven’t experienced any lung problems etc. and I’m asthmatic . Make sure you do the post-op exercises rigorously and keep doing them at least 3 months after radiotherapy to stop the tissues contracting - that’s what I was told and I still do a quick set most days. Hope everything goes well with your upcoming surgery xx

1 Like

Best of luck with your course. I hope it goes well with all you’re juggling now. I am still waiting to know what the treatment will be so can’t help with that but I’m sure you’ll receive information here.
Take care. A big hug.

I had DCIS and while it’s called pre cancer mine was also intermediate. I had a mastectomy and sentinel node biopsy. After the op they found 0.5cm of IDC but not enough to have chemo at the time. Also rem DCIS is a very early cancer so chances are it won’t be elsewhere but only the surgery can find out that once they operate.

I would recommend having the mastectomy as DCIS while very premature I feel is like small specs or cells that can grow. I found the surgery and reconstruction very painless and very well done.

I trust in France the health system is excellent and so even though your GP is not very accessible it’s the surgeons that matter. The very best to you, once you have a plan and are on track you will feel a lot more in control. Also I would travel the extra kilometers to have the best care rather than having a local hospital with less expertise so in this sense, you’re in good hands.

Some good advice is to go in with a list of questions and take someone with you too, because having an extra pair of ears is really really useful as they will hear different things than you. This forum is really useful for learning about your options and being able to gather all of those questions to ask.

Hope all goes well! And try not to worry or overthink and rem they caught this very early so try to focus on that!

1 Like

Hi Carol
I’m also in France. I was diagnosed last September with invasive ductal cancer (ie it had spread beyond the ducts but fortunately no further). I had a partial mastectomy (2 operations) and then 28 sessions of radiotherapy and I’m now on Letrozole for the next 5 years. I don’t know where in France you are but there are a lots of us here with BC. If you use Facebook there is a fantastic support group called Pink Ladies in France.

I’m in the Vendee (85) and have my treatment in Nantes.

If you need anything just ask
Karen

Hello
Thank you everyone - and how brave you are and how hard it is really - and thank goodness we can support each other. I have also now applied to join the french pink ladies in France group
I am sorry to hear about your cancer diagnosis too frenchgirl85, I am going to have an operation in Toulouse - I am keeping busy.

1 Like

It’s great there’s a breast cancer support group to join which is based in France for people whose first language is English.

Seagulls

Yes beyond words

1 Like