Anxiety

Hi everyone,

I was diagnosed this week after having a biopsy two weeks ago. Originally the consultant said he would call me with the results of the biopsy (he didn’t think the lump looked particularly suspicious), but on Friday I had a call to say I needed a face-to-face appointment. I obviously knew this wasn’t great news. Since then I have had lots of physical symptoms that I assume are linked to anxiety (heart thuds, tight throat and tickly cough in my throat, breast pain on the side affected). 

I just want to reach out to hear other people’s experiences upon diagnosis because I am frightening myself worrying it’s the cancer in other parts of my body. 

I have had a MRI today to get the full picture before working out what surgery is needed. 

I won’t get all the terminology correct, but I have oestrogen/prog positive, HER2 negative. One lump (approx 5mm) found via ultrasound, but did not show up on mammogram. Lymph nodes do not look abnormal on ultrasound (although I’m worrying because my armpit is tender).

Thank you in advance. x

4 Likes

Hi Kay

Sorry to hear your diagnosis. I can assure you that the worst part is the waiting and the anxiety that it causes. No matter how hard you try your head goes to the worst places. 

I can share my experience with you. I was told that I had 97mm DCIS in my right breast in January this year. This was following me finding a lump between Christmas and New Year. My consultant told me that due to my dense breast he wanted me to have an MRI. I then had a week wait to get find out the results and treatment plan. It was the worst, I thought it was going to show that it had spread everywhere. But it hadn’t. 

For me the MRI confirmed what the mammogram and US showed and the consultant ran through the surgery options and I decided on a Theraputic Mamoplasty. I had this done in 2nd March and was really surprised at how quickly I recovered but it was back to the waiting for results post op!

I received them yesterday and unfortunately need a further op due to margins not being enough. It’s so very hard but you will get through it.

It is such a difficult time and these forums are the best for support. Our families and friends are there for us but the people here have been through it and understand the feelings and emotions. Be kind to yourself. If you have any questions I will try and answer if I can. We are with you! 

Cookie x

I’m sorry to hear about your diagnosis but what you’re feeling is completely normal in the circumstances . I found I was anxious , couldn’t concentrate , felt fairly optimistic and relaxed in a morning but my mood tended to plummet by the evening. My cancer was on the right side but both breasts seemed more tender than usual and I was getting discomfort in both armpits as well , though I too had been told my lymph nodes looked ok ( and in fact were ok). 

I too felt that the cancer was growing whilst I was waiting and I know many people feel the same way .

I also experienced the thudding heart plus an odd dizzy spell - I found that mindfulness helped with those. Reducing my caffeine intake helped as well.

Waiting for investigations / results is awful - I felt very out of control ,my Mum had passed away a few months before and it set off another wave of grief.

A couple of things helped ; firstly remind yourself that you are the same person with the same body that you were before you were called for the face to face appointment .

Secondly ; try to do one thing that brings you joy every day so that you can be in the moment for a while.

The waiting seemed to last forever while I was waiting but it all fell into perspective after a few months .

You won’t always feel like this believe me wishing you all the best x

I’m sorry you are going through this…BUT it is normal. I was exactly the same and it is natural. I found the lump myself and before the results were in I met with the consultant who told me they would be treating me for BC. The following week it was confirmed and I was sent for an MRI, then I had to have a PET scan. I experience the same anxiety and pain, before it was confirmed I was also adamant I could feel pain from the lump. It all such a surreal time. Easier said than done, but avoid google and try to keep busy. The MRI is to get the best view of the tumor, ultrasound and MRI can change the size and can impact surgery. I was ER/PR+ as well and neg HER2. I have had a lumpectomy 3cm tumor with 4.5cm overall removed but not clear margins so will have more surgery post chemo.

Just know your surgeon/consultant want the best picture in order to put the best treatment plan together for you. You’ve got this.

Hugs xx

Just had my diagnosis ILC 1.5mm ER+, been told lymps are clear and it’s early stage , having MRI this week. I didn’t sleep a wink last night . I’m going to try mindfulness today . I wouldn’t wish this on anyone. You’re all amazing .

1 Like

Hi and sorry to hear your diagnosis. It sounds as though you have a caught early cancer and you are getting good diagnostic tests. Remember the vast majority of early cancers are fully treatable. The doctors are just trying to get lots of info. Hopefully yu will get treatment plan very soon.
In the meantime you have the horrid anxious waiting. Try to keep busy and avoid google. I carried on at work and filled my weekends with fun activities. You will feel lots better once the treatment plan is revealed. Keep us posted and good luck. X

Hang in there once you get a plan it does get better . Unfortunately our minds tend to go into overdrive and take us to places we wouldn’t be going in reality . You will get through this - read all the advice above and try to keep busy , take a day at a time . Find some little moments of happiness in each day - you can hold onto those when those thoughts start creeping in .

Sending love xx

Hi @KayLou2, I saw your post and couldn’t pass by, everything you have said is me. I’m a little ahead of you in that I have started chemo but the feelings you describe with all the waiting is very much still fresh in my mind - I can honestly say it was the worst time in my life but I got through it and so will you 🩷.

My diagnosis is stage 2, grade 2 with one lymph node positive for cells hence the chemotherapy which for various logistical reasons I’m having first before surgery.
I have had so many tests - mammogram, ultrasound, biopsies, MRI scan, CT scan, bone scan and then I had to have a sigmoidoscopy as my CT picked up an inflammed bowel - it was all fine. Even though my oncologist is very positive and said my scans are all fine I still struggle a lot to believe her and question if something has been missed.

I suffer a lot with anxiety and my initial appointment with the breast unit was supposed to be a check up for reassurance- I’m 46 so not old enough for a routine mammogram.

Anyway I wanted to say you are not alone and I understand exactly how you feel 🩷 sending you lots of good wishes with your future treatment.