Any chance this could be benign?

I am 52 this week and I noticed a lump in my breast about a month ago. I thought it would maybe just go away as I have had lumps before that have come and gone. Then about a week ago I noticed it seemed quite a bit bigger - feels about 3cm in diameter now from about 1.5cm a month ago. It feels quite hard (probably not cyst-like but can cysts feel hard?) but seems to be moveable I think. Anyway, I went to the GP yesterday and he has referred me for a mammogram and further testing within the 2 weeks. I am due to go to the USA on holiday for a week on Sunday but may not be able to go now depending on when the appointment comes through. Don’t know if I would want to go anyway with this hanging over me.

I am worried sick and just wondered if, at my age, this could be anything other than BC? I have not had a period for a year or so now so I guess I am post-menopausal.

Hi uklady,
It could be a lot of other things,so youve taken the right step in going to the doctor. Keep us up to date. If its good news, hooray! If not, here is the place to be, with others who know what youre going through. In this scenario, knowledge is power! I`m on the other side of the Atlantic, but BRITISH! Totally understand how you wouldnt enjoy a holiday with this to think about.Anyway,love and hugs to you,
Mimsy

Just an update really - my GP called yesterday to say they can’t get me in before my holiday so I asked him what he thought I should do - cancel or wait a week. He said that even if it is something nasty a week will probably not make much difference so to go on holiday and try to put it to the back of my mind. Of course that is nigh on impossible but I am trying very hard and there’s nothing I can do about it either way. The hospital called this morning with an appointment for the day after we get back so will keep you informed.

Hi uklady and welcome to the BCC forums

In addition to the support here please feel free to call our helpliners, they are here to offer you support, information and a listening ear on 0808 800 6000, the lines are open Mon-Fri 9-5 and Sat 9-2.

BCC have published a booklet called ‘Referral to a breast clinic’ which you may find useful to read, you will find it on our information page here along with other information for anyone worried about breast cancer:

breastcancercare.org.uk/worried

best wishes
Lucy

Go on holiday and enjoy yourself! When I found my lump back in 2007 I was a week off going on holiday. My GP managed to get me into the breast clinic before I went. At the clinic appointment they were able to tell me there were abnormal cells, but not whether it was invasive cancer or DCIS. They would normally have called me back a week later for the full results. When I told them I was due to go on holiday they said an extra week would make no difference and so I went back two weeks later for the results instead, having enjoyed my week away.