Any coping strategies for the anxiety?

Hi

I so sympathise with sleep problems. I’ve always been an early waker, but during treatment it has been very difficult. My onc recommend Nytol (non prescription), and I have been very surprised at how well it has worked. I only take a third of a tablet - a whole one was leaving me feeling hung over - but have managed some decent sleep during the high steroid phase, which before was impossible.

The other thing is that my OH has moved to the spare room temporarily so that when I am wakeful I can have the radio on - this definitely helps me get back to sleep, or at least doze on and off without feeling anxious that I will never get back to sleep.

My latest chemo was delayed a week - due to go in an hour (ugh) - but that meant I had a week when I had the odd glass of wine - still hated the taste but was determined to have a treat nonetheless. What a relevation - one glass of wine and a tiny speck of a sleeping pill = full 7 hours sleep! Sadly unlikely to be repeated dring chemo for me - but fine for OH’s I would have thought.

Good luck Brooktop - I hope this phase will soon pass.

At the moment I’m staying in the back bedroom because my wife only had the drain out last Friday. Now she’s picked up a very bad chest infection but has started to take antibiotics and steroids which seem to be working.

I too have been avoiding reading anything because I always fear the worst. I even just looked at the Nottingham Evening Post and a story jumped out at me about a lady that had died. Perhaps foolishly I decided to read it…breast cancer…mastectomy and lymph node removal…cancer came back as a lump on the neck. Even just reading stuff likes this makes my heart stop and I feel anxious again.

Other than that, I’ve been adopting a ‘head in the sand’ attitude and trying to carry on as ‘normal’. I’ve not taken the anti-depressants because I haven’t felt I need them. That all may change next Tuesday when we go for the results of the biopsy.

Once cancer has entered your life there is no avoiding it - every news programme, every time you open the paper - it’s everywhere. I think head in the sand is fine - I certainly started that way, and have gradually researched more as I’ve felt more under control. This is by far the worst stage, and you will cope better when the treatment is under way. But well done for coming on here and asking for help - many men wouldn’t, and that is a very good sign that you will find a way through this.

Hi Brooktop - So sorry to hear about all your troubles but it’s sounding very familiar. Only recently have I conquered anxiety from going through all the treatment and I feel it’s that you have to be kind to yourself and patient. You’re bound to be feeling helpless as you watch someone go through it all - and it isn’t nice - but stay smiling when you’re with her and helping her through will hopefully help you. It doesn’t matter how small the gesture as long as it’s kind - and you sound as if you are. I had some wonderful counselling offered to me at the very beginning which equipped me with some coping strategies and some understanding that I wasn’t alone. I also listened to music and had a relaxation cd given to me which was useful at the beginning. Going for walks in the park is nice too. Hope if improves for you. Susie

Thanks all. I sometimes don’t know how to act, because I think I need to respond depending on how my wife feels about it and what pain she’s going through from moment to moment.

She has told me that she doesn’t want people continually asking her about it…because that reminds her she has cancer and she wants to try to live as normal a life as possible. Yet other times she is in obvious discomfort…she has some fluid build up which is going hard and she says that underneath her arm feels like it is sunburnt. Unfortunately, there’s nothing I can do to take that away and although I’ve suggested she have paracetamol, she says she doesn’t want to keep taking painkillers. I can only offer love and affection…but I can’t do that too much as she’ll feel that I’m smothering her.

I also don’t want to force her to talk about her fears and feelings because she doesn’t like being backed into a corner. But there’s also part of me that benefits from that because I’m not getting reminders that everything isn’t ‘normal’ (or should I say ‘how they used to be’?).

I’ve hit rock-bottom today. We went for the biopsy results yesterday and they did nothing to cheer us up. The lump was 3.5cm with pre-cancerous cells around it. Worse was that of the 20ish lymph nodes removed, half were cancerous. We have to go back next Tues to see the oncologist but have been warned that many consider her to be focussing on the negatives and will be spelling out the risks of recurrence.

Our health visitor has advised that I start on the anti-depressants and then go see the GP in a few weeks with a view to being referred for counselling. I feel ashamed that I’ve had this dip again because I was starting to function as normally as could be expected. I hesitate to say ‘positive’ because I admit to being ‘glass half empty’ over this because the stakes are so high.

My wife is being much stronger than I am but has definitely decided that she does not want to go to a support group - but she is going to go on the Young Womans BCC weekend at Swindon. I’d feel a fraud going to one of the support groups without her.

Hi Brooktop, I am sorry things are difficult for you at the moment. I think it is sad that you feel ashamed that you have had this dip. There is no shame in accepting help at times like these and you have been puting off the antidepressants for a while now. My husband was on antidepressants when I was ill. I am pleased that you are taking your health visitors advice. Your wife may be worrying about you too so I am sure that she will be relieved that you are going to try the medication but they do take a few weeks to work. Please let us know how your wife gets on next Tuesday. Val

Hi there
Sorry to hear your news. The last thing you should feel is ashamed about feeling depressed (although I realise this may be easier said than done). You are both going through a horrible thing and it is totally reasonable to feel depressed about it. I found I had to make a huge conscious effort not to concentrate on all the worst case scenarios. I hope if you decide to do what the health visitor has suggested, that it helps you, even if just to get through this horrible uncertain phase where you are waiting for results and to find out what will happen next.

Speaking as someone going through treatment, I have found it is easier to stay quite matter of fact about it while I have all the physical stuff to focus on. Once the physical treatment is over, I’m expecting the emotional stuff to come to the fore a lot more. Maybe the same is true for your wife. I don’t think your reactions need to depend on how your wife is feeling though…you are entitled to have your own feelings about all this and they may be quite different to your wife’s at any given moment, and I’m sure she understands this. My good days don’t always coincide with my other half’s, and vice versa. I also think it can be far harder to watch someone else going through the physical treatment, without being able to do anything practical to lessen what they are having to deal with.

(Having said all that, some practical things! re the sunburn - I have this too and found that generously applying moisturiser several times a day helped to lessen it. re the fluid if this is still a problem - I’m sure you and your wife know about having fluid build up (seroma) drained - I have had this done 3 times now and it made me feel so much better afterwards. The BI nurses won’t expect your wife to just put up with the fluid if it is uncomfortable or think she is making a fuss)

Support groups aren’t for everyone, but for what it’s worth I can’t believe anyone would think you were a “fraud” for seeking support without your wife accompanying you. I hope you continue to use this forum as long as you find it helpful.

Best of luck to you and your wife for Tuesday xx

Thanks Val and Electric Landlady

On the sunburn, the consultant did say for her to slap moisturiser on and said the pain will lessen with time; she’s obviously endured a lot of nerve damage. They said they’d aspirate the fluid if it got worse, but they don’t think it needs it just yet; some days she says it feels hard and sore and other days like a hot water bottle.

My wife and I are obviously handling it very differently and she’s not as much of a ‘talker/sharer’ as I am. I was leaning towards going to the group at QMC that’s for cancer support…as opposed to BC. The group leader had been very supportive by e-mail and I may contact her again. To be honset, the timings of the last two meetings hadn’t been good AND I’d been feeling a bit better. I dare say I’ll have better days than I’ve been having today.

My friends (male and female) are very supportive, but there’s not a lot they can say. Can anyone really??? It’s hard to describe, but I feel very lonely. Although my wife has told me to share my feelings, I want to get my strength elsewhere so that I can be strong for her.

Hi Brooktop

Please don’t ever feel ashamed at having a dip it is perfectly understandable and shows what a loving caring husband you are. The pain does lessen in time and having fluid drained is a simple proceedure so advise her not to suffer but to get it drained by bc nurse. I have had two ops so far - third tomorrow to remove lumps from under my arm and always have to get fluid drained several times afterwards, it is not in the least bit painful to have done.

I am glad you are going to the QMC group it may well help to talk to people in similar position. You are right about every day being different and hope you are feeling better soon. I also think good advise about taking ad’s as it should help you get through this difficult time. As advised keep slapping on the cream it really helps.

Sending you both cyber hugs. A strong relationship is such a wonderful help going through this horrid time together.

Love Anne xx

Hi Just bumping this thread up as I wondered how Brooktops wife was doing and have not seen any recdent posts.

Bydand, or Anne I should say. Just wondered how you were doing too? Any news from your end of the country? LOve Val

Hi Val

Sorry for the delay. I have responded to your PM.

My wife had the op and has been doing as well as can be expected in that respect. She is back on Thursday for her 2nd lot of chemo…but finding things very difficult at the moment as she is losing her hair (the bit she dreaded the most). Thankfully the sickness and tiredness weren’t too dibiliating. Having 2 young children is tiring enough and in a perverse way, helped prepare her for it.

Thanks for your continuing support.

Paul

Hi Paul, I PM’d you before I read this post. Keep in touch with us to let us know how you both are coping. We all remember how lonely it can be and are here to support you both. Love Val

Hi Brooktop

I hope you are managing these days much better than you were earlier last year. I am still in the relatively early stages myself of dealing with this inconvenience to bioth our lives.

4 weeks before our wedding my, now, wife was diagnosed with grade 2 stage 1 BC. it was HER-2 negative and hormone positive, so out of a bad lot it could have been worse. The prognosis for treatment was only radiotherapy and Tamoxifin. Her first reaction was about the delay of starting a family (we are both 35 years old), my reaction was I am going to lose her and then the family issue kicked in after I rationalised the survivability issue ( athought not too far after losing 4 friends to cancer, one to BC). We were told that the Tam would be for a minimum of 2 years and no kids within that period. She would be 37/38 before we could even consider children. This blew both of us away. But she is Scottish and therefore a natural half empty glass take on situations, where-as I saw the advantage of spending the first 2 years of our marraige together being able to do what we wanted to do.

She was determined to go ahead with the wedding and put the surgery off until the week after. Having just moved cities to be with her, bought our first house together and just moved in and me starting a new career and also planning a wedding, I was already on a height. She is a difficult girl to fathom and is A-grade at stone walling emotions (she is not a teary cry at films type at all). She finds it hard to deal with and talk about emotions, whereas I am completely the opposite. As you can imagine the run up to the wedding was a stressful and emotional day as we told all the guests prior to it so that no-one would find out during the wedding and it then spoil the day. But we made the most if it and for a few hours we forgot about the whole thing. We managed a three day spa break in the lakes, but it was difficult to relax.

Prior to all this I cried a huge amount in private, sonething i haven’t done for a long time. This all seemed so unfair. After 5 years we were finally getting our lives together sorted out and ready to take the plunge into family life etc. I went through the anger, denial, eotional wreck etc. This is so unfair. Could it get any worse?

She went in 5 days after the wedding for a lumpectomy and sentinel node removal. After the op she became allergic to what we thought were the painkillers and anti-inflammitory drugs. She had a burning bright red rash that lasted a week and included a rushed trip to A&E when the agony became too much for her to bear. 12 days after the op we went in for the results, she was healing well and the lump had good clear margins then WHAM !!! 2 out of the 3 nodes removed showed cancer deposits and now she had to go in again for the full lymph node clearance and chemo and rads was the only option. Our rads only treatment snowballed into seriously pushing back the time we could consider starting a family, notwithstanding that this BC was even more serious than first thought. The following day we began IVF treatment to start the process for freezing embryos, as the chemo might well destroy her fertility (another punch to the stomach). Xmas and NY were a blur and she was in for the op on the 7th Jan. Immediatley she reacted to the GA or antibiotics and went rashlike and bright red again, despite the efforts of the surgeons changing her post op meds. So now she has to go for allergy testing on top of an egg harvesting operation and before she begins chemo…We await the results from the second op this wednesday and praying that the rest of the nodes are clear.

Now the point of this diatribe is that as you can see my wife has had a rough time of it already, and the only medical procedure I have been involved in was at the fertility treatment (details not to be shared!!! :-))I do not cope well with seeing other people in pain and it is killing me to see her go through all this and the complications on top. She is so strong and gives a could poker face when things are troubling her, so that i feel i have to match that so i can be strong for her, even though she is hurting inside. I deal with that by taking control of everything I can, and this is the error. She also likes to be in control too and this weekend we had a chat about giving her her independance back with the things she can do. And i made her promise that if she needs to she needs to give up her pride for a bit and let me help her if she is struggling. This is so hard for me as it means i am more on the side lines, however, just being there as a safty net and being 100% reliable in that regard it just what she wants and appreciates.

I have also spoken lots with the BC nurses and asked lots of questions and been proactive by pushing the doctors into bringing allergy tests forwards and keeping the fertility dept upto date whilst my wife was in hospital recovering from surgery, so they can be proactive rather than be reactive.

By the way being there as a punch bag is a tough place to be. She is scared, worried, angry, frustrated and on top of that she is a bag of raging hormones due to the fertility drugs. So to be able to take it without fighting back is a test of patience, understanding and your love. A battle i have come close to losing on numerous occasions. I have found an out of the way tree in the local country park that is the subject of my shouting, anger and ranting. You shoudl try it it is very theraputic. Getting fit again is another focus. If I am fit i am healthy and less likely to pass on something when her immune systemis down. It gives me time in the fresh air and later this year i hope to be running in a mountain marathon raising money for breast cancer care and Maggies. That way I feel like I am putting back something into the system, a worthy cause don’t you think?

We also keep a diary. She doesn’t open up very well face-face and I feel that I cannot vent all my emotions in a one way stream, so everyday we write down how we are feeling from physical symptoms (so we can possibly see a pattern and predict/plan our activities around them) to our concerns, rants and general mental balance. Very useful when you realise that something happened which seemed irrational at the time, but had a good reason.

I also have friends who have been through cancer treatment and give me their side of the story, but I also have friends who have been on our side of the fence and can advise or just be an ear.

It is hard to release the build up of pressure but occupying your time with positive things and achievable goals is the way ahead for me at least. Eg, my Shed project is the first step to getting the garden sorted ready for turfing and the raised herb garden to be built. There is a relatively flexible time line but the main goal is to have it done so that when the weather gets more pleasant my wife can tend to the herb garden she wants thereby giving her something to do and we can have grass to lie out on and read our books. If I fail to achieve the building of the garden she cannot do those things so i am motivated and have something occupy my mind with.

Sorry for the novel but hope some of this helps you know that there is a way for coping and you are not alone in this boat!!!

All the best
Rich

Paul and Rich,

I’ve just read this thread and I have to say how I admire the pair of you. Thank you for being there to support your ladies. It’s a really tough job and you too need some help to get through all the crap associated with this horrible disease. I just wanted to give you both a virtual hug of thanks, because you’re brilliant.

CM
x

Hi CM

Wouldn’t have it any other way. My wife is the most amazing gorgeous person and despite our relationship being tested to the nth degree whilst I was moving up here, I have fallen in love with her again after seeing the awesome strength she has. She is beautiful and losing her long thick mane of hair is going to be very very hard for her. I know it will upset me too but mainly because it will hurt her. But I married her for for the way she is and the looks are just an added lottery win :slight_smile:

It is hard for all concerned and i am told by both sides that the other side has it worse. The mental and physical anguish held by the person with BC is certainly nothing to be sniffed at, but at the end of it all hopefully only the scars will be a reminder. The family/friends and spouses have the enormity of the mental anxiety because there is nothing at all we can do but watch and just be there. The hardest thing to handle is my wife trying to push me away. At first I tried to get even closer but the rejection was too course to handle. So I backed off to preserve her independance, but have taken to doing subtle yet important things that make her days run more smoothly. She doesn’t necessarily realise this and I will never seek acknowledgement for it, but it fills me with worth and value knowing that i can can help in such ways. It also calms me.

We have a set of incredible family and friends and I would not be in a sane way if i had not used them as support. I am, however, tired of having occasional break downs in front of them as this is hard on them too. Hence Scott the spruce who takes all my abuse, literally standing up :slight_smile: I just hope I am not carted off to the funny farm for shouting at a 30 foot tree. My running times are faster and distances longer as venting anger in that way is an excellent cure for sudden emotional downturns.

I am frankly sh****g it for tomorrows results, and I am expected her to be stressed tonight, but a nice meal and a hotbath should at least take our minds of it for a couple of hours. Little battles won :wink:

I am interested to know of anyone in the Edinburgh area of a similar age (35) who is in the same boat as Paul and me, as a chat over a pint and a pie is often a good cure for stress and to share with outside third parties.

All the best CM to both you and Paul, in fact to everyone who is in this boat.

Rich

Hi Rich

I don’t know if this would be an idea your lovely lady would go for, but in my hunt around I discovered a charity that takes donations of long hair and makes wigs for UK children with alopecia - Little Princess Trust. If you think she’d go for the idea, take a look at littleprincesses.org.uk for details. I was very impressed.

And I’m sure Scott doesn’t mind really, he’s probably happy to be useful!

CM
x

Hi CM,

Have suggested it and she is considering it. But I think she is finding it harder to deal with as the time for chemo draws closer and closer.

Cheers for being tremendous :slight_smile:

Rich

Right back atcha, Rich!

I like that charity as it’s a way of sticking a middle finger up at cancer and making good use of something that would otherwise be wasted, and it took a while to grow so would be a shame to just chuck it in the bin.

If I have to have chemo I might keep a little plait for myself, but the rest will be stuck in an envelope and sent on its merry way.

Losing your hair is a bit like losing some of your identity, and I know another lady on here found having her hair cut short before chemo more stressful than the thought of going bald, but seeing her picture she does look great with the new haircut.

I hope your lovely wife’s results weren’t too horrible, and of course that you did actually get them. The waiting is almost unbearable, and so difficult for everyone.

Big but gentle hugs to you both,

CM
x

Hi CM

At last the results were good. Out of 13 lymph nodes taken this time only one had a tiny tiny amount of nasty stuff, so as far as the surgeon is concerned the source (the lump) had clear margins and the other 12 lymphs showed nothing, so it is all out. The Chemo and rads will be the crossing the t’s and dotting the i’s to make sure that any cells that escaped are destroyed. So hopefully that’ll be the last we hear of it. Just fertility treatment because of the chemo to go before it all starts and then rads followed by Tamox. hopefully in 2 - 3 years we can look at coming off Tamox and starting a family.

Having a down day though, because yet again I fell into the trap of doing too much and organising things without consulting her first. We are having issues with the fertility treatment and i am trying to be proactive to keep things moving at the hospital. So I am now the bad man for going behind her back despite telling her what i’d done after i’d done it. Whoops!! This is a common feature and the strain in our relationship is pretty taught, but I am not used to sitting down waiting for things to happen. I can see how this can destroy relationships.

Hopefully you are getting plenty of support and don’t give them too much of a hard time :slight_smile:

Rich