Any good advice for men?

Hi! I haven’t been diagnosed with breast cancer. I have had pain under my left nipple since Christmas. I waited for a couple of weeks to see if it would go away. It didn’t, so I plucked up my courage and went to my GP. They sent me away for two weeks (they said they’re not allowed to the breast care team for two weeks after initial consultation. All the time the pain is getting worse, and I’m exhibiting most of the signs of an infection. Eventually, I’m referred and they see my quickly, which was impressive. The doctor had a feel and found something, I then had an ultrasound, mammogram and biopsy. During the morning, I was told it was probably nothing to worry about, and then that it was unlikely to be Gynaecomastia, because of the shape on the ultrasound, and then the shutters came down. I was told I was M3 U3, but no one will tell me anything else, including possibilities of what it might be, until the results come back - which I was initially told would be next week, but now I know they won’t even look at the results for 10 days after that. They had no leaflets for men.
Does anyone know of a website that can give me sensible information, rather than being an asterisk after they’ve written pages on women? I have had multiple orthopaedic procedures, and I’m used to medics talking through possibilities with you, not this wall of silence. Everything I have found online tell me anything that’s possible is highly unlikely. Nature abhors a vacuum and the only thing I can read about it cancer, the thought of which fills the vacuum nicely.
I’m not sleeping because of the pain, and have a very demanding job, which is super busy at the moment, so I’m pretty run down, and probably not as objective as I would like to be.

4 Likes

Hello

So sorry that you are in this this situation and you are doing well to stay at work to be honest . I was told at second screening that it was almost definitely BC but often it’s not clear cut and they do t know until all the results come in and then they may want to clarify these at a Multi Disciplinary Team meeting . This is why they won’t tell you anything - they just don’t know . You are in limbo at the moment and the lack of control over your own life gets to you nearly much as the stress of what it might be, we have all been there. If you continue to feel unwell and are struggling with pain you should go back to your GP - don’t just put up with it while you are waiting .

There is a men’s area on here and some male members who may be able to give further advice . That’s not to say that I don’t want to talk to you ( though I’m sending this quickly as I’m at work and my break finishes in a sec ) but they may be able to help .
@The_Plumarade and @PHBF64 can you give this gentleman any further advice .

Hang in there
Joanne x

3 Likes

I get that they don’t know, but there should be a menu of possibilities, some being more likely than others.
I have no great fear about cancer, but it would be nice to know what the other options were beyond knowing that all were very rare in men. When I smashed my pelvis there were multiple outcome possibilities starting with it 50/50 whether I lived or died. The doctors sat down and shared those with me, before they knew which we were looking at, so that I could be informed and mentally prepared.
I’m sorry if I sound ungrateful, I know a lot of people are in a far worse situation. I guess I hated it as a child when I asked “Why?” and people replied, “Because!”. I thought with grown up patients (or even older kids) we were at a stage where kept them informed on the possibilities of their condition, rather than keeping them in the dark. If you refuse to explain to me what the possibilities are, then I have no choice but to go for the one that I do know about, which may not be the best course for my physical or mental health.

3 Likes

Hi bristolpete,

I’m so sorry you find yourself here and to hear what you’re going through. And the asterisk comment really hit home. It shouldn’t bloody be like that! I can’t remember what the M and the U mean… but I understand the horrendous waiting. It’s absolutely unbearable and your mind goes to all sorts of places. I had a mammogram in July and have just started chemo (having had 2 surgeries in Oct and Nov). Feels like a very long time to me and I was convinced it could spread everywhere in that time. I came to the conclusion that everything is just screening until it’s under a microscope. Your results will be the starting point and when you have a plan and then you start that plan, it will feel better. I’m so glad you have reached out to this group but surprised they don’t have a men with breast cancer group on the forum. I imagine it can also feel quite lonely. I don’t know of any websites - just amazed that Breast Cancer Now and other cancer charities don’t have more support, there’s definitely a need. I hope you hear good news with your results. Have you got a day for them? Sarah xx

2 Likes

It must be awful for you - I think some clinicians are more cautious than others but there are consequences to getting it wrong to begin with and then plans change and there’s a lot of emotional fallout that has to be dealt with. It could even be a local policy not to confirm if they aren’t sure . A lot of us older women are diagnosed via routine mammograms - but I know the path to diagnosis is often rockier for men . There are a lot of posts and threads on here about waiting and how difficult it is/ not having information - . In some cases like yours it’s waiting for a concrete diagnosis , in others it’s for a treatment pathway or delay waiting for results to confirm that a procedure has been successful and for others it’s the wait to start treatment . It is enormously frustrating because there are periods of activity as you experienced in the clinic when a lot seems to get done at once followed a long frustrating wait when your imagination runs riot . Not having control of your life because you are waiting for someone else to tell you what happens next is the worst .
The only way to get through it is to get through one day at a time .
I do feel - as I think we have all felt at one time or another that clinicians don’t know what’s it’s like waiting for results unless it happened to them .

Perhaps they are being extra cautious simply because they don’t see very many men in your position which will might make them even less sure of what the problem might be. I’m afraid I don’t know what M3 or U3 mean either so I can’t help with that .

Joanne

2 Likes

BristolPete

Hello there, it’s such a shame to hear that five years on from my experience of going for tests and awaiting results haven’t altered much for men, and signposting or information leaflets are still as rare as Unicorns.
In answer to your question on M3U3

Examination Score Imaging Score (Mammography (M), Ultrasound (U)) Histology Score
P1 – Normal M1 / U1 – Normal B1 – Normal
P2 – Benign M2 / U2 – Benign B2 – Benign
P3 – Uncertain/likely benign
[M3 / U3 – Uncertain/likely benign B3 – Uncertain, probably benign
P4 – Suspicious of malignancy M4 / U4 – Suspicious of malignancy B4 – Suspicious of malignancy
P5 – Malignant M5 / U5 – Malignant B5 – Malignant

But your best wIting to hear from the horses mouth the determined outcome and diagnosis.
If it turns out to be benign that Fantastic News……if it’s stated to be Gynocamastia, then great that’s not cancerous, but please remain vigilant with that diagnosis. Remember your normal, and report changes ASAP….i was told five years previously my Gynocamastia would never become Cancerous, but it did…

That doesn’t mean if you have that condition that it will become cancerous, I’m advising you just to be fully aware of changes in your body.

It sounds like you’re under a lot of stress with work, which can make you feel rundown , and adds to the anxiety waiting upon results. But trust me those tests are being scrutinised by highly skilled people to determine your outcome. Sadly this takes as long as it takes…

We have a page on BCN forum specifically on Male breast cancer under the Someone Like Me heading….i certainly hope your results will return with good news, but either way BristolPete if you need to talk or ask questions drop by that page, we’re more than happy to tell you are stories. Know from today whatever happens you have a friend …

Kind regards
D

4 Likes

This is useful - thank you for sharing this. Sad to see they’ve put (and men) in brackets though!

2 Likes

Hi Sarahc-123

The bracket might be my copy and paste faux-par

It should look like this as a table

Examination Score Imaging Score (Mammography (M), Ultrasound (U)) Histology Score
P1 – Normal M1 / U1 – Normal B1 – Normal
P2 – Benign M2 / U2 – Benign B2 – Benign
P3 – Uncertain/likely benign M3 / U3 – Uncertain/likely benign B3 – Uncertain, probably benign
P4 – Suspicious of malignancy M4 / U4 – Suspicious of malignancy B4 – Suspicious of malignancy
P5 – Malignant M5 / U5 – Malignant B5 – Malignant
1 Like

You can also phone the number on here and speak to a nurse too, bcn is here for everyone and do also use the private message facility to reach out to ask the guys too if you’d rather just talk directly to someone :two_women_holding_hands: :two_hearts::two_hearts::sparkles::sparkles:Shi xx

1 Like

PHBF64 thanks so much for reaching out to Bristolpete :+1::heart::two_hearts::two_hearts::sparkles::sparkles:Shi xx

2 Likes

Hi PHBF64,

No, (and men) is on the actual document. Why couldn’t it just say ‘women and men are eligible for this test…’ or whatever they were saying. It’s not much better than an asterisk! I meant that it doesn’t read as very inclusive.

Sarah x

2 Likes

Hi @bristolpete I can kno how worrying it is waiting for an answer
The NHS does seem to do everything in two week cycles which does make one worry .
I am guessing that no one is saying the possibilities because it could be a lot of things either good or bad and as we all know the bloody C word is such a worry I know that is not much of a consolation my friend . I suggest that you repost this on the mens forum

And if you want me to ask other men from the VMU (see the mens forum for more info) I will happily do so
In the meantime, have a look at this that myself and @PHBF64 were involved in designing and is still the only MBC leaflet available in the UK

3 Likes

Thanks for that information - good to know .

Thanks for a brilliant response.
I know that people don’t want to jump the gun, but it is weird. If I have a problem with my lungs there is a chance that it might be lung cancer, but that isn’t the only option that anyone speaks about. It’s as if they’re fixated on cancer.
I don’t have big fears about cancer - it is what it is - it’s the information on other possibilities that just isn’t there. If I was a worrier, based on the information I have been given, or been able to access, it would 100% be cancer, which can’t be right.

BristolPete

You are correct, the lack of information can leave you wondering about anything and everything, it can all be very vague. But the best you can do is stay in control of your feelings, it’s easy to say we all catastrophise, but if possible just wait until your told what the issue is or isn’t,

I hope you have nothing to worry about, but trust me I know how you feel with this waiting game.

Regards
D

1 Like

I don’t think it’s really “catastrophising”. Maybe it’s more about how people deal with issues. I am a rational person, and I like to be informed of the possibilities, and it is from that knowledge base that I can deal with situations.
Here it feels like “Nanny” thinks she knows best and doesn’t think I’ll be able to deal with such information rationally - therefore I should be quiet and just sit patiently and wait.
All the literature talks about having someone with me when I’m eventually told, again this assumes that people can’t be prepared and ready for any news that might come. If you refuse to give people information this is indeed a self-fulfilling prophecy.
I cannot think of another important decision where I have been so left in the dark. I know this is the way the system works, and it was how the whole of medicine worked 100 years ago, but isn’t it time that the wind of modern medical practise reached here?

1 Like

Bristolpete

Yes I agree with you 100% ….i asked in 2019 when I first had the mammogram, then ultra sound and subsequent biopsy.

I asked to be given a professional opinion on my presentation. The dr said 95% plus, it would be cancer and it was.

In 2023 after I had a X-ray, then Ct, pet CTand biopsy what the likely hood of cancer spread it might be, to be told “Possibly”

Like you I wanted upfront thoughts, to prepare me for what was to come.
I hope your wait, isn’t long

Regards
D

1 Like

I know what you mean - I was told it was probably cancer after the initial tests and I was asking about my treatment pathway which I was told that as well as surgery would probably be radiotherapy and hormone therapy as indeed it turned out to be. I then started asking questions about the hormone therapy and the radiotherapy and was told that I didn’t need to know about those things right now. I totally disagree with that as I felt that the more information I had the easier it would be to make Informed choices later - I wanted the bigger picture as far as possible and being drip fed information was unacceptable to me .

1 Like