Any younger women with secondaries?

I am new to posting on here having been recently diagnosed with brain, bone and liver secondaries after 8 and a half years of being cancer free - I’m 31 and was 22 when I first had breast cancer (due to the BRCA2 gene). I’ve had radiotherapy for the brain mets, am back on zolodex as my cancer is oestrogen receptor positive, zometa for my bones and recently started taxotere chemo… Would be nice just to see how anyone else in a similar situation is coping. My friends and family are brilliant (am single without children) but I feel like I have to protect them from a lot of what I’m actually feeling. I’m managing to stay relatively up mood-wise most of the time but am wondering how others cope with the not so good days… And the overwhelming nature of the diagnosis / prognosis.
Thanks, Kath

Hello Cheetarah

Welcome to the forums, you’ve come to the right place for support as the users of this site have a wealth of experience and knowledge between them.

You may also find it useful to contact our free helpline on 0808 800 6000, lines open again in the morning and the opening hours are Monday to Friday 9.00 – 5.00 and Saturday 9.00 – 2.00.

Best wishes
June, moderator

Hi Kath,

I’m in the same boat… welcome aboard, but sorry you are in the same situation.

I was diagnosed with secondaries from the word go. Bone in June 2009, Liver in April 2010. I was 24 when I was diagnosed, no family history, had a relatively healthy background, came from Asia, where cancer cases were low… so it was quite a shock.

Had 3 kinds of chemo, 2 kinds of hormonal treatment, rads twice, and now, in the middle of scans again to check out a new pain, so suspecting my 3rd chemo isn’t working. It really has been non stop and hormonal treatment was really my breathing space.

I am single and live on my own most of the time. Friends are great in helping out practically. My boss is really supportive and understanding. This forum and helpline are great for offloading. Medical team is really helpful most of the time. Some days I really find it hard, but other days I’m OK.

Keep in touch.

M xxx

Hi Kath, just to reiterate M’s hello. There are definitely lots of us younger women with secondaries (am 32, diagnosed with primary age 29, BRCA1) and lots of us are doing very well although yes, it’s a shock and pretty horrific. Lots of support from BCCare, do have a good look around. Xx