Anyone else starting radiotherapy this month?

Hi all, I am starting 5 days of radiotherapy tomorrow, and thought it would be good to have some company if anyone else is.

This is my second time around, my first diagnosis was in June 2021, then a new primary was found in the other breast June 2023, so here we go again.

I’m also having a spinal MRI this week as my recent Dexa scan showed an area that is probably (hopefully!) arthritic degeneration, but could be mets. That has freaked me out as you can imagine :confused:

Anyway, if anyone starting rads shortly fancies a support thread that would be good.

Lisa

7 Likes

Lisa :heart: drink lots of water to help with the fatigue :heart::two_hearts::two_hearts::sparkles::sparkles:Shi xx

3 Likes

Thanks Shi, will do!

1 Like

Dear Lisa

Wishing you lots of luck for tomorrow, hopefully a smooth outcome, I have to say I was a absolutely terrified but it was one of the easier parts of my treatment, so fingers crossed you will have the same results.

Drink plenty of water, feel sure the nurses will suggest the best cream to use.

Biggest hug brave lady Tili :rainbow::pray::rainbow::pray:

5 Likes

Thank you Tili

1 Like

Hi I too am starting radiotherapy Arne end of the month! I’ve got my last cycle of Docetaxel this week then my CT scan and start radio at end of month.

3 Likes

Hi Readey, thanks for posting. Good luck with your last cycle. How many sessions of radio will you be having?

Lisa

2 Likes

Hi Yes, I am having 5 Radiotherapy sessions w/c 9-13 October. I’ve had my tattoos, am practising my deep breathing technique, and have a bone density scan on Thursday. It was supposed to be last week but we all got covid! :frowning: Good luck to us all!

3 Likes

Hi Lisa, I am due to have 5 sessions which is the standard treatment so I have been told! Our area has been involved in trials that say that one week is the same benefit for patients who have 3 weeks of radiotherapy?
I have had the bone density scan too and results due back in 6 -8 weeks?
Good luck everyone xxx

3 Likes

Hi there, I’m starting a five day course on 16th, had a WLE and SNB back in July.
It’s been a rollercoaster of emotions since diagnosis, but I feel like I’m doin okay now, surreal almost. Until I look at my mutilated breast!

3 Likes

Hi all, well I’m happy to say that my first session yesterday went smoothly, 1 down 4 to go!

The MRI is on Wednesday just before my radiotherapy session. I’m getting very scared about that as I’m very claustrophobic and have struggled with them in the past :confused:

Good luck with your sessions everyone, hope they are as straightforward as my first one yesterday!

Lisa

5 Likes

Hello all :wave:t2:🩷. Had my simulator, CT and tat yesterday, start 5 day radio course on 31 Oct. Not too worried about it but scared stiff of the hormone tabs :pleading_face:

3 Likes

Hi Lizzage, what hormone tablets will you be on? I was on tamoxifen for 2 years and once things settled down the only side effects were the hot flushes, which I found acupuncture helped with.

I’m now on letrozole, early days but so far the hot flushes are worse and I have very stiff joints first thing in the morning before I get moving. Hoping things will settle as they did with the tamoxifen.

Hope you get on ok with it, some women seem to manage with very few side effects so you could be one of the lucky ones!

Lisa

3 Likes

Hi Lisa

Started Letrazole a few weeks ago but only taken half so far. Start full strength tomorrow but have also started huge dose of vitD along with K2, calcium, omega3 and C. I’ve also got a bit of stiffness but not sure if that’s because of tabs?

2 Likes

Hi all

I found my 5 sessions of radiotherapy ok, fatigue set in a week after, drank plenty of water and moisurised. I wasn’t able to do the breath holding but they managed to get round it, seemingly it’s safer if you can hold your breath during the radiotherapy. All seems good now. Take care x

4 Likes

I was started on Letrozole after my surgery, been on it for about two months now. My joints do ache a bit more, I feel more tired, and to begin with the hot flushes were hell but it is getting better!

2 Likes

Glad to hear it’s getting better, fingers crossed it will be the same for most of us!

Lisa

3 Likes

Absolutely, from what I’ve read on some of the threads here there’s a fair bit of difference between brands, mine is generic and the side effects are okay now. When I started it was really hot weather so that didn’t help with the hot flushes, Chernobyl level meltdowns! My daughter kept asking if I was all right, she kept thinking I was crying but it was just the sweat running down my face! :hot_face::fire::thermometer::volcano:

4 Likes

Hi all - I started radiotherapy 9/28 and have to have 20 treatments. I am on #6 today. I was diagnosed with cT1cNO ER+, PR+, HER2-, Grade 1 in left breast after a screening mammo 6/22, had lumpectomy 7/25 - Had to wait for results of Oncotype to determine if I needed chemo and it was low so only radiation and afterwards take Letrozole for 5 years. So far I feel ok. Going to take the advice on here and up my water intake. Prayers to all battling this disease.

3 Likes

Hi sheliat, thanks for posting. Wow 20 sessions is a lot, I am on 4 of 5 and am already tired!

Are you in the UK? I’ve not heard of anyone having so many sessions of radiotherapy before.

Hope it’s going ok for you

Lisa

1 Like