Anyone having MX surgery in January?

Nels and Bella, I can’t thank you enough for posting when you did… I go into hospital tomorrow for surgery on Tuesday and if I’m being honest with myself I’m shi**ing it as well. I’ve never even had a stitch before and am very nervous about going under anaesthetic but your posts have calmed me down a bit. I’m having an immediate reconstruction so slightly different and I’ll be in for a few days, just wish I could smuggle some wine in with me!

Lizcat, good luck I hope all goes well for you…

Welsh Girl, congratulations on your anniversary, it must be such a good feeling!

Caroline x

Good luck for tomorrow Caroline, will be thinking of you.
Agree that the feedback from the ladies who have already treatment is very encouraging.
L x

hi Nels sent you a message, hopefully you received it.

many thanks
TTMxxx

Hiya,mastectomy,on Tuesday,for the last couple of days,have been terrified,but after joining the oroforum today,have been reassured,by all these ladies,who are starting the journey or who are still on the road,or maybe about to finish there journey,I no longer,I’m almost surprised,I’m saying this,no longer feel alone,having had replies from some lovely ladies,from getting up this morning in despair,Im feeling,Yeh,I’m gonna say it POSITIVE.

Hi Caroline and Sandy45,
Do hope your time in hospital goes smoothly and you’re ok about all the initial proceedings before anaesthetic.
I’m a complete wimp with injections so I asked for the ‘magic cream’ that they put on children and it helped no end to calm me down because obviously it doesn’t hurt but the fear is quite huge isn’t it?
I had 3 ops before mx but can never know how with all the nerves and jitters I ever signed the forms! It still makes me laugh now!
I even laughed with the staff…
No one knows how we’re going to react in these situations!
Also I fell in love instantly with my third anaesthetist! He was so lovely whereas the first two spoke to me as if I was three! Yes, I know I was behaving like a three year old but you still need that professional care from one who can respect your tears.

I’ll be thinking of you both.

Wx

Thinking of you Caroline,
I had never had any hospital treatment before my dx. I too went in the day before my mx/DIEP at the end of November. I was really scared when it came to it, scarednof everything including the catheter afterwards. Don’t be afraid to mention you’re scared and I’m sure the staff will support you, a nice nurse came down with me and even collected me from recovery afterwards.

You’ll soon be over the worst and on the other side… A few days of various discomforts to starter with… For me shoulder pain and a headache were my worst pains. I couldn’t feel my tum or breast at all. On day three after op I had catheter out and shuffled to the loo, on day four I had a shower and could shuffle around the ward…so not long to go!!

Hope it goes well and if I can do anything at all for you, just ask.

Hugs

Lynette xx

Oh great to hear from Bella - thanks so much, I’m in on Weds for my mx. Had the pre assessment today and I have my softie to stick down my bra afterwards, then when it’s all healed up they will measure me up for a sort of extended fried egg in silicone as a longer lasting prosthesis.
But really good to hear that not too much pain and quick recovery. HOpe I’m the same.
Caroline and Sandy - all the very best for tomorrow… we’re all supporting you!

Love and hugs to all
Lin

Great to hear that Nels and Bella had a relatively positive experience and hope both are continuing to recover well.
Best wishes to everyone else undergoing surgery this week. One more step in the right direction.

love and hugs to all xxx

Hooray came through my op - not too bad apart from throwing up afterwards. General anaesthetics always do that to me.

Home same day, but very late 10 ish and went straight to bed. But ok today, bit woozy but not too much pain.
Lop sided but it looks sort of boyish… Hope it won’t look too bad when the bandages come off.

Is everyone else ok?
Lots of love, Lin

Hi Lin,

Really glad your op went ok, and your not feeling too bad,keep resting up and be pampered you deserve it. Not long for mine now next Tuesday, just want to get it over with now.

Deb xx

Hi all,

I was dx in september had 1st WLE and SNB in October. Had 6/14 nodes involved and was told I had grade 2 lobular invasive carsinoma but they could not get clear margins. I had a 2nd WLE and ANC on 28th November. Another 11 nodes were all clear but margins were not so was advised MX. This totally terrified me and begged for immediate recon (I still need chemo and rads). Saw the PS on 28th December we had a good chat and he ask how I felt about a double prophylactic mastectomy as lobular has a very high risk of reacurrence in the other breast also this type is very hard to detect. To be fair from day one I have wanted this option if the only option I was left with was MX as I dont want to go through this night mare again (I know nothing is 100%) The PS and I agree on a double mastectomy with immediate LD recon with implant on good side and expander on the bad and as PS said if rads messed up my bad side he could redo. This was done on th 4th jan. I am not going to say it has been easy. I had a mini break down on my way into theatre and was going to flee the hospital dont know were I thought I was going lol. Was in a quite a lot of pain when I woke up but this was soon sorted by the amazing nursing staff couldnt get out of bed for a couple of days. but am a week on now out of hospital after 5 days still on paracetamol and cant sleep on my stomache but glad I have done it and have this part over with. Do the exercises, gently, every day without fail as this really helps. The main thing id like to say is its not as bad as you think the fear of the unknown really cracked me up. Hope all your ops go well and if anyone wants to ask me anything at all by all means do and I will answer you as honestly as I can.

Love, Jennie

Lin, so pleased to hear all went well and you are back home safe and sound. Take care xx

Hi Lovely Ladies! Lin, it’s great to hear you have got through it…not so bad eh? I got drain out 3 days later and I haven’t had any fluid build up at all. I’m doing those exercises about 4 times per day. I’ve been a bit stiff and sore the past few days, but this morning much better. I take the dog out for the walks and do the exercises while walking about - I must look hysterical, goose stepping about whirling my arms about my head!

Today I had meeting with team to discuss the results and further treatment, it was brought forward a week. Was worried about it and turns out with good reason…they took 28 lymph nodes and 17 of them had cancer in them. Seems that the chemo didn’t work very well in reducing/shrinking and now it’s all about whether there has been any mets. Getting scans sorted for bone, organs etc, plus getting started on Tamoxifen very soon and probably 5 weeks of radiotherapy. Got to meet with radiotherapist on Monday for plan. The surgeon seemed to be preparing me for worst case scenario but equally, nurse said we’ll work on getting through the first year with no recurrence, then second then fifth.

I must say, it knocked me for six and I’ve been very philosophical today about life, the future and quality of life issues. The mx scar and soreness concerns have been supersceded by the news that I might have much more invasive cancer which would be managed by an array of treatments. Just have to wait and see and not obsess too much…oops, here I am at 2.50 am still mulling over the news! Sorry for huge posting again! Gentle hugs to all you ladies going in for surgery and post op results.
p.s. Comfy and bra left off for a day or two and forgot I only had one boob!

Dear Happy Carrot, pleased to hear that the mx has gone very well but so sorry to hear the news from your results, must have been a big shock. The important thing is that this has been picked up and they are moving forward quickly with a plan for you so sounds like you are getting the support you need at a medical level. As you say, this whole situation we are all in, at whatever grade or stage, makes us much more philosophical about life and what is really important.
My thoughts are with you and I send you gentle hugs
L xxx

Hello Lelly61, thank you so much for your lovely thoughts and words. You are so right, and this forum is excellent for appreciating that we are all at different levels and dealing with shocks right, left and centre! I am quite over it now. I had some work mates over for a visit on Saturday and that brought me out myself a bit and just decided to get on with it anyway. I’ll try to get back to work on a phased return, get through the radiotherapy - 5 weeks of that - and see how I get on. At the moment, my under arm hurts like blazes with the exercise!
I do hope you are doing okay yourself and that goes for everyone who’s tuning in. Btw, went to see Warhorse at pics and thought it was rather too sentimental, although I used to love Black Beauty : ). Planning to see The Artist during the week sometime.
Love in abundance to you all. Bella xxxx

Hello Ladies

Not posted on this thread but have on the starting chemo in Sept. I had my mx and full lymph clearance on Monday. It went very well and I am now back home and doing my exercises faithfully! A bit sore and swollen but when the district nurse came this morning she says everything looks okay. Have a bit of fluid sloshing about but no drain as my surgeon does not use them. I honestly feel positive and very relieved that it is over. I only have rads to go and then later this year will think about a recon. There is a light at the end of the tunnel, and this forum has been a godsend to me from the start! Good luck to all other January mx’ers - please feel free to pm me if you want to ask anything at all. Ali xx

Dear Bella (HappyCarrot), you are sounding a lot brighter from the way you are writing which is great news. Probably best to avoid the weepy films at the moment if you can though a good cry can often help get things out of your system.
I don’t know what your work is, and you are being sensible about a phased return but please take it careful, especially as you have more treatments to go. I know that everyone has different circumstances and pressures around work but my surgeon has already told me he expects me to be off work a min 3 - 4 months after my op for both physical and emotional recovery and that is just an mx and recon without any further treatments (hopefully, apart from a reduction on the other side later in the year). I have always been a workaholic if I am honest but havent missed it for the last few weeks and will certainly not be rushing back until I know I can cope (I travel long haul a lot and spend a lot of my time training senior managers so need the confidence).
Anyway, please take care and keep us posted.
Hugs
L x

hi ladies i will be having mx last day in january after so much debate i decided it has to be the rite choice… i had my chemo 8 doses finish in november im alo on herpectian for a yar so just praying everything goes fine …dont know how i will feel after mx but hopeful i can overcome it…i didnt want reconst as i still waitng on radiotherpy as well …