ANYONE LIVING IN SOUTH LONDON: FEELING A BIT ISOLATED

Hi Everyone,
I’m not from England and Ilive here with Huby. Al my family live in my country. Have some friends who live outside London, I was planning to start working, but Idon’t think it’s a good idea yet. So Iam feeling quite isolated. My Huby works the whole day . Any advice to contact support groups in my area to meet more people in this situation. This forum is amazing , but sometimes you nedd more people contact.

XXX

hOPES

Hi Hopes,

Have you spoken to your breast care or McMillan Nurse? They may no of some groups nearby
Where do you live?

Kat x

Hi Kate 67,

I don’t know where to find Mc Millan nurse. I’ll have a look on the web. Thanks for that. I live in Shepherd’s Bush.

Take care
Hopes

Dear Hopes

I have a couple of suggestions which might help to put you in touch with other people.

Our Peer Support telephone service aims to quickly put you in touch with one of our trained peer supporters, who has had a personal experience of breast cancer.This service is confidential and totally free.

Or you might like to join one of our telephone support groups. These are a get together once a week to talk with people who’ve been there. Linked together by phone in comfortable surroundings, you can express your feelings and discuss the practical and emotional impact of living with breast cancer. The groups will be particularly useful for you if you feel isolated.

You may also be interested in one of the face to face events we run.

You can find more details of all of these services by going to breastcancercare.org.uk/content.php?page_id=44

on this website.

I hope this helps Hopes.

best wishes

Joe

Breast Cancer Care

Dear Hopes

I live in London too, and I really recommend you call the Haven and make an appointment. They have support groups, therapy days, and loads of women to talk to about your and their experiences. It’s in Effie Road in Fulham, just a short hop on the 295 from Shepherds Bush! Look at their website, it’s amazing. www.breastcancerhaven.org.uk, tel 020 7384 0099.
I have my appointment there tomorrow and I’m really excited about what they can offer all of us

Hope this helps you.

Cecelia. x

Hi Cecelia

Thanks so much for highlighting the Haven - I had never heard of it. It would be great to hear what you think.

Have fun tomorrow!

Hannah

Hi Hannah

I’ll report back tomorrow! I’m really looking forward to it.

Cecelia. x

Hi Cecelia,
Thakns for your reply. I found the web page of the Haven . It sounds interesting. Ithink I’ll give it a try. Thanks so much for that.
Hope you enjoy it.
Take care
Hopes

Dear Hopes and all

I have just been for my introduction at the Haven, it’s really great there. You can get 12 free hours of therapy time. I have booked in 3 hours each of four different therapies, Kinesiology, Mind-Body Therapy, Homeopathy and Massage (heaven!)

This is all free but I will leave donations each time. They also do workshops and classes and support groups such such as Stretch and Relaxation and Yoga which are £10, and other classes and workshops such as Recipes, Breast Cancer and Fertility and Remedy Workshops for a donation of £4.

It’s all on their website. I hope some of you can make it there.

Cecelia. x

Hi Cecelia,

Really glad you had a good day at the Haven - it sounds great.

I’ve taken the plunge and booked myself in for an introduction day on 24th September - looking forward to it.

Did you take a friend with you? I don’t want to be a billy no mates if everyone else has someone with them but, on the other hand I (selfishly) don’t want to be worrying about whether the person I take with me is enjoying themselves or finding it useful - I’m also slightly nervous that it might give my Mum more ammunition to tell me I’m not eating enough or eating the right things or generally looking after myself properly!

My sister has also mentioned the Maggies cancer centre opening in London (next to Charing Cross Hospital). It’s meant to be opening this year and might also be worth a visit (www.maggiescentres.org)

Thanks again

Hannah
x

Hi Hannah

I’m really pleased you have booked yourself in.

I didn’t take anyone with me for my introduction. They just run through your family health history, your diagnosis, how you feel about it all and book you in for the various therapies. I’m doing stretch and relaxation tomorrow, I’m really looking forward to it. I don’t really want to take anyone with me as I want to be with other people who are going through the same thing, and, as you say so you don’t have to worry about them being bored or lecturing you after the event on how you should look after yourself.!

I have my treatment at the Charing Cross Hospital so I’ll keep my eyes peeled for Maggies opening. Thanks for that info.

Hope it goes well for you on your introduction day

Cecelia. x