anyone local

I didn’t make it into Nuneaton. Went to more local town instead. It’s too cold and I’m tired. Going to watch some recorded TV, knit and make birthday cards. :slight_smile:

I found it helped me to go into work on a voluntary basis for a few hours before I started my phased return. I got all the emotion of meeting colleagues and talking about BC experience, out of the way before I had to deal with doing my job as well. I only went for a couple of hours at a time, but it did me good and probably made going back easier.

Be prepared to get even more tired and red for up to 2 weeks after rads finish. I felt at my most tired about 10 days after, so take it steady. You will get there.

Morning ladies

Seems we like knitting on here, I’m always knitting.

Going to see if I can get my hubby to take me into coventry today just for a change of scenery and I might even get him to spend some of his hard earned money xx

hi all
my first fec-t tomorrow so nervous !!!

Hi Jenny! I’m in Bedworth, had my surgery at the Meriden hospital, chemo at the George Eliot and rads at UHCW, a meet up would be lovely x

Jenny, I’ll pm you my mobile number x

hi
that would be lovely message me soon x
jenny

Good luck with your chemo, tomorrow, Jenny, I hope it goes OK. I’ll be thinking of you, and keeping my fingers and toes crossed for minimal Side effects for you.

At least once you’ve started you can start ticking them off! It’s a long road, but you WILL get to the end of it. xx

Jenny, check your messages, have sent PM x

Gail, my avatar is 2 rats I knitted when I was off work. One lives in Norwich with my daughter (travelled care of PO, in a jiffy bag!) and the other lives with me. The picture is of Norris (Norwich) looking at a picture of Squirt that I emailed to my daughter! We are that mad, yes!

I also knitted 2 cats which now live with daughter + son’s GFs.

I don’t like knitting big things - I get bored, but I love knitting baby clothes and these animals were fun! OH found the book in the library and got it for me when I was going nuts at home during treatment. I have since bought the book :slight_smile:

Good luck with your first FEC tomorrow where are you having it?

Hi All,
I love the knitted rats JCJ. I have knitted lots hats during my treatment - I needed to knit easy things as my concentration was poor. I am now planning to have a stall sometime and sell them with a % for BCC as I have used a couple of their services and really want to give something back.
Jenny, try not to worry too much about FEC tomorrow (though it is very hard not to). I was very frightened going for my first FEC but found that the staff were great; they explained everything that was happening and understood my anxiety. I had 4 FEC in total and then went onto weekly Paclitaxel which all finished by November. It looks as if number of us on this thread have had FEC so keep in touch and let us know how you are getting on as we have all been there.
Hope tomorrow goes well Janny
Helen

Hi Jenny I’m in Coventry. I’ve finished chemo (nov 21st) 4 fec 4 t. I remember how scared I was before chemo. It’s the fear of the unknown. For the first couple of cycles I prepared to be really poorly. I got the shopping in, sorted out clothiers for junior weeks in advance. Etc etc …I wasn’t great for week 1 but week 2wand 3 I was absolutely fine. I know lots of people who have had a similar response. Believe me dividing your life into three week cycles makes the treatment fly by. Ethel

hi
when does your hair start to go i have not had my wig yet so im worried

jenny x

Hi Jenny I wore a cold cap so didn’t loose my hair but friends lost it week 2. Have you got a hat sorted you may need one to wear in bed too. It’s not a very nice experience when it goes either have you had it chopped in advance?

Jenny, my onc told me it would fall out between days 14 and 21 and dead on day 14 it started, my husband shaved it off a few days later. It’s horrible and very distressing when it goes but within a couple of days you’ve adapted to it and the anxiety about losing it has gone. I finished chemo in July and now have a full head of very thick hair x

Mine came out on day 16 of first FEC

Hi Jenny,
I tried the cold cap but my hair started to fall out on day 16 of first FEC cycle and was completely gone by the 7th day of second FEC cycle. So for me the CC slowed things down but didn’t prevent the hair loss. I was v upset at the time but did get used to it; invested in some lovely hats and eventually some fab wigs. It is about 4 months since I finished FEC and I do now have hair - just a couple of mm but it is growing back.
Let us know how you got on today when you feel ready.
I have just got back from UHCW as my RT was postponed from 0900 to 1700. Going back for 0900 tomorrow for next dose. Snow over here has all but gone but I hear there may be some more tonight. So stay warm and safe
Helen

Hi Helen

Did you lose all of your hair, because as I said before mine came out after the first FEC but not completely I managed to hold on to some grey bits and it seems to be growing back now. I have just had my first Taxotere and have been told that I will lose it completely. Has anyone else had this?

Gail xx

Hi Gail,
initially I lost all the hair from the top of my head and at the back from the bottom up to my ears. It seemed to be where the cold cap had not had good contact with my scalp or perhaps as I had thick hair my scalp never cooled enough in those areas. I retained my fringe and a band of hair around my head from temple to temple - imagine a ginger Max Wall if you can! During Fec 2 I lost my fringe and the band thinned out even more. Afer that I stopped using the CC and shaved what little hair I had off. I was really worried about losing my hair as it is naturally ginger and at 49 I was not 100% certain it would grow back ginger but might come back as white. I needn’t have worried as it is now growing back ginger - funny, as a teenager I desised having ginger hair but now I would be lost without it. Having said that I have got 2 absolutely fabilous wigs and many people, even other BC patients, have commented on how lucky I am to have kept my own hair!
RT 16 today - lots of problems with the machines so plenty of delays but a book and a cup of coffee and I was quite happy. Making soup and baking today - I love baking. Have a good day yourself Gail
Helen

Gail,
sorry meant to say that after FEC I was given Paclitaxel rather than Taxotere. I was told that my hair would start to grow again after FEC as Paclitaxel didn’t affect it. It’s about 4.5 months since my last FEC and I do have visible hair but it is still pretty short
Helen