Anyone on weekly taxol/paclitaxel

i have been on weekly taxol for three months, no side affects no sickness and so far i feel really well, i was dx with lung mets three months ago.

Hello Lollypop,

You must have started just before me. My mets are in and behind my sternum and in the lymph nodes right up to my neck.

I’m hoping it’s working because, apart from the obvious, I’ve been feeling ok, too - a few minor SEs but very do-able. Have you been scanned since you started on Taxol?

Take care, Angelfalls xx

hi anglefalls,
yes i had one in april, good responce due another in july hoping for same results.
lollypop59 x

Great to hear you had a good scan in April! I got scan results on Tuesday and have also had a good response so far. Hope you’re continuing to do well. Take care xx

Hi ladies
Thought I would pop back with an update as I had my final taxol on 19th June. I would say that over the last 3-4 treatments the SEs have been getting tougher. I’ve been much more tired with very weak muscles. Hiking has had to be on relatively flat walks. Even yoga was a struggle. In fact i haven’t really done much walking to speak of this week.
My big toe nails are black and sometimes bleed from underneath if I do too much walking or touch them against something. Soles of feet are sometimes so sore that walking is painful but that seems to come and go.
Fingers have become more and more tingly/numb (a difficult feeling to describe) and nails are a horrible mess of red, yellow, lines and grooves. One smells rotten so I’m going to ask them to check in case I’ve got a fungal nail infection.
I’ve also had several styes on my eyes which has meant no contact lenses for nearly 2 weeks.
However, hopefully it is all uphill from here. I’ve got a 3 week break till I start radiotherapy on 11th July and we are off for a few nights in a hotel. Will be watching my scalp closely in case of growth - wishful thinking.
Does anyone have any info about when the finger and nail side effects might start to subside?
Take care.
Chocy

Hi ladies
I was on 3weekly docitaxel, but had neutropenic sepsis after the first cycle and then had an adverse anaphylactic reaction with the second, so my ONC has suggested for weekly taxol and they are going to give premedication of steroids 20mg about an hour before the chemo. Hoping the Taxol will be kind to me
With the first cycle of Docitaxel, i had severe muscle pain and now nails look dull and raised and the skin around the nail bed is starting to feel sore. Is there anything we could do to prevent the nail damage apart from dark nail colour. What about the washing, any comments, thanks
Take care
Gary

hi angels fall,
i am still feeling fine on my 18th weeks this week and my next scan is in 3 weeks hoping for good news.
lollypop x

Fingers and everything else crossed for you, Lollypop. I had no. 12 yesterday and still feeling ok, but looking forward to my week off next week!

Gary - I hope you’ll find the weekly dose of Taxol much easier to tolerate. I get steroids, antihistamine, anti-sickness and something to protect my stomach in my premeds, then wait 30 minutes before they put the Taxol through. Lots of drugs, but it seems to be doing the trick! I’ve read that some people ice their finger and toe nails before, during and after their infusion, but that seems like a bit too much hassle to me and am not sure how practical it would be in a busy chemo unit… Other than the dark nail varnish, I don’t really know what else you could do, other than maybe nail strengthener or supplements? Let us know if you hear of anything else. Good luck with your treatment!

Chocy - Sorry to hear about your nails, styes, neuropathy and fatigue. It sounds like your body has had enough, so it’s a good job you’ve finished the course - congratulations on ticking that milestone off! I’ve no idea how long it’ll take for the SEs to wear off, but hope you’ll feel that you are making progress as you look back at how you were feeling a week/month ago. Enjoy your break and your get-away and good luck with the rads. I hope it all goes well for you.

Hugs to all xxx

Chocy, lollipop and angiefalls,

Well next Thursday will be my last taxol. I have to say it was doable and I didn’t get any SE’s to speak of. I have only one low day really. I hope I get it out of my system before surgery on 17th. July.
Regards,

Clare

Good luck with your last Taxol, Clare. It’s such a milestone to be able to tick chemo off. I hope your surgery goes well and that you have a speedy recovery. Take care xx