Anyone with a similar diagnosis???

Hi Everybody,

I am new to this site so please forgive me my ignorance.

I am wondering if anyone has had the same/similar diagnosis to my Mother and could give me some info/advice.

My mother is 67 and was diagnosed on Tuesday with grade 3, Ductal Carcinoma.  The infection is 1.5 cm’s (15mm).  My mother was tested and is ER and PR positive.  We now await her HER2 results which will be available in 2 weeks.  I understand that we would rather her be HER2 negative as HER2 positive requires a harder form of treatment.  Is this correct?  My mother has been prescribed Letrozole tablets, the brand being Sandoz and is required to take them for two months to not only shrink the infection but to move it away from the nipple which is where it is currently located.  As a result, the extraction cannot happen now due to its location.  Thankfully the scan shows that the infection has not spread to the lymph nodes but until surgery scheduled in two months from now, we are not 100% sure. 

I would appreciate information from anyone who has a similar diagnosis to the one described above.  Waiting until January is the hardest part.  What a journey this is going to be! 

Best,

Alia&Mo

Hi Alia & Mo,

This is the first time I have visited the site for quite a while. Over six years ago I had a similar diagnosis, having discovered two breast lumps, my treatment was a mastectomy followed by chemotherapy and then a course of Herceptin, I think I was diagnosed positive for everything. It was a long haul, the worst part being the Chemo. The Herceptin treatment was not too bad and by this time I was able to go back to work. 

My lymph glands were fine and that was a surprise to me because the cancer has already spread in the breast.

Cancer is a scarey thing to go through but try to remain positive, my advice is take one day at a time and don’t think about what is ahead. I am amazed that I am now six years down the line and appreciating life after treatment. I wish both you and your mum all the best and hope all goes well for her during this difficult time xx