Are there any Stats on type of reconstruction chosen

Hi, i have grade1 cancer in both breasts and have been advised I need a double mastectomy.
I’m trying to decide which reconstruction to have between implants and a diep. I was quite sure i wanted a diep, but im getting cold feet due to the surgery time and 1 in 10 risk of a tummy " bulge". But the risks on implants dont look great either with 1 in 5 people needing more surgery (info sheet from consultant) and that they dont last forever and may look fake.
Im making a pro n con list. And reading peoples experiences, but its so tough to choose. And im worried i will pick wrong.
Are there any stats re double mastectomy and the reconstruction choice made.
I googled and got an AI response of a study in 2022 - 70% chose implants, but im not sure if thats an accurate source. Thank you

Hi springer55,

Thanks for posting.

We hear from many women who are considering a reconstruction and deciding what type is best for them. It’s understandable you are finding it tough to choose, especially as you are having both your breasts treated.

Choosing to have breast reconstruction and the right option for you is a very personal process. As you say, there are pros and cons of all types of reconstruction, and it sounds as though you are aware of these. It’s not uncommon for women to need more time to decide what is best for them.

We would always suggest you arrange an appointment to discuss your concerns and questions with your treatment team as it’s important that you make a decision that is right for you. You might find our Breast Reconstruction booklet useful as it has detailed information about the different types of breast reconstruction together with possible questions to ask your treatment team.

Whilst looking on Google is tempting, sometimes it can cause more anxiety, so you may want to consider whether this is helpful for you at the moment. The organisation Keeping Abreast offers support to anyone who is considering breast reconstruction. They also offer the opportunity to meet and talk to other women who have been through similar experiences.

Likewise our Someone Like Me service offers you the opportunity to talk to someone who has had a similar experience to you which could be helpful to you. You would be matched to a trained volunteer and can be in touch via phone or email to talk through their experiences and to answer your questions. You can ring the Someone Like Me team on 0800 138 6551 or email them at someone.likeme@breastcancernow.org, so they can then match you to your volunteer.

We also offer a range of free supportive services for anyone who has had a diagnosis of breast cancer which you may be interested in. They include face to face and online courses and events. For more details about all of these services, please see the information on the link, or call our free helpline

Please do call our helpline if you would like to talk things through or if you have any further questions. The helpline team have time to listen, talk things through and signpost you to more support and information if necessary. Your call will be confidential, and the number is free from UK landlines and all mobile networks. The number is 0808 800 6000, (Relay UK -prefix 18001).

If you would prefer one of our nurses to call you. To do this, please complete this form ticking the box agreeing to a call back .

Our usual opening hours are Monday to Friday 9am - 4pm and 9am -1pm on Saturday.

Out of hours you can leave a message and we will call you back when we next open.

Best wishes

Vic

Breast Care Nurse

Please read the Ask Our Nurses disclaimer Full details on how we collect and use your data can be found in our Privacy Policy

As we are unable to monitor for further replies, this thread will now be closed. If you have any additional questions or would like to provide feedback, please start a new thread, call our helpline, email us or request a call back.