Arm ache?!

I had a SM with 9 lymph nodes removed 2 years ago and for the last 4 weeks have developed a pain down my arm. There’s no swelling just painful to touch very similar to when you touch a bruise. Do I need to call the Breast Care nurses or id it not related to the surgery?!

Hi, this happened to me too. I believe it was cording. I stepped up stretching exercises and self massaged the area and in a couple of weeks it resolved. I also extended my hand backwards.
This was my experience, I hope your discomfort resolves.

Thank you. This did cross my mind but didn’t think it could happen after 2 years!?!

It’s 18 months for me.

Hello lisajday

Thanks for your post about the pain down your arm that you have been experiencing for the last 4 weeks.

Being aware of any changes to the breast, chest or surrounding area in between your follow up appointments is important, although it can be difficult to know how your breast or scar area should feel especially as the area can change over time as it repairs and heals. As @shade says it’s possible it could be cording. However, there may be other reasons for the pain.

We would always suggest that if you experience pain that is new or unusual for you, doesn’t have an obvious cause and doesn’t go away it’s important to discuss this with your breast care nurse or treatment team.

Do call our helpline if you would like to talk this through or have any further questions. The helpline team have time to listen, talk things through and signpost you to more support and information if necessary. Your call will be confidential, and the number is free from UK landlines and all mobile networks. The number is 0808 800 6000, (Relay UK -prefix 18001).

If you would prefer one of our nurses to call you. To do this complete this form ticking the box agreeing to a call back.

Our usual opening hours are Monday to Friday 9am - 4pm and 9am -1pm on Saturday.

Out of hours you can leave a message and we will call you back when we next open.

Best wishes

Wendy

Breast Care Nurse

Please read the Ask Our Nurses disclaimer Full details on how we collect and use your data can be found in our Privacy Policy

As we are unable to monitor for further replies, this thread will now be closed. If you have any additional questions or would like to provide feedback, please start a new thread, call our helpline, email us or request a call back.